100,000 miles fz6

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently went over 100,000 miles on my FZ6. I bought it new in April of 2009 as a leftover 2008 model. I use non-synthetic oil and change about every 4000 miles. Here is a condensed highlight of some of the bigger maintenance items during that time:

26,464 miles: brake fluid, coolant, ,fork oil, repack steering head bearings, spark plugs, clutch cable, chain and sprockets.

43,800 miles: front brake pads

44,213 miles: not starting due to loose wire, valve adjustment(.3 out of spec), spark plugs

56,017 miles: right side front brake pads, rear brake pad, brake fluid, coolant, fork oil, repack steering head bearings

66,073 miles: chain and sprockets, rear shock replaced, spark plugs

84,794 miles: valve adjustment (2 out of spec), spark plugs, clutch cable

86,093 miles: front rotors replaced, brake fluid, coolant

91,115 miles: chain and sprockets

98,560 miles: cam chain and tensioner, spark plugs

99,910 miles: rebuild rear brake caliper, rear brake pad, fork seals, fork fluid, replace head steering bearings

5 set of tires throughout the years and chronicled in other posts concerning longevity of last two sets.

They say a picture tells a thousand words, or in this case, 100,000 miles.

Attachments

• DSC00146.JPG
    DSC00146.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00147.JPG
    DSC00147.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 165

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the exclusive 100k club. I recently had to replace my starter brushes, they were worn out from all the starts. The bike would no longer crank over, but I was able to push start it. Something you may want to know in the back of your mind in the event you start having starting issues. Ironically, I'm still on my original front brake pads.

Last edited:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! You are to be commended not only for the regular timely service but for keeping it up on two wheels! Your bike looks fantastic, what an inspiration. Too bad we live so far apart, some of your good luck could rub off on me. No deer there I bet.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
that is amazing, I am utterly impressed. I have JUST put my third set of front brakes on, with a few times I have disassembled the calipers and cleaned, and the original rears. Though, I will be replacing my rotors soon, I am getting quite a pulse on initial braking. I have done my head bearings, never changed a sprocket except when I went to the 17t front, and I cannot get more then 26k out of a chain, mine is making all sorts of horrible racket now (I have a new one already, opportunity lacks me) and its at 51,000 and some change.
I fear I need a cct with the cold start racket she makes, but I am taking her down for the FULL maintenance in a few days to do the valves, maybe a cct, front tire, thermostat, etc.

KEEP ON RIDING!

maybe one day Ill hit the 100k mark! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
As to gear, here are items I had had during those miles:

1 Fieldsheer Aston 1.0 Leather Perforated Jacket
1 Himalaya Textile Mesh pants
2 pair Touratech gloves, one mesh, one not really waterproof
1 Revit H2O rainsuit that doesn't really repel rain
3 Helmets: Bell Apex?, Norton n90 and LS2 ff358
2 boots, one off brand, one Sidi Rain Way

Closest call involved a collision with a bouncing semi truck tire on the interstate. It came off a semi bounced over the median, hit a pickup truck ahead of me and then me on the left front side. Bent my gear shifter and bruised my foot. Miracle I was able to keep it up and I think the cars around me thought the same thing bc everyone behind and beside me had braked hard expecting me to lose it.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the exclusive 100k club. I recently had to replace my starter brushes, they were worn out from all the starts. The bike would no longer crank over, but I was able to push start it. Something you may want to know in the back of your mind in the event you start having starting issues. Ironically, I'm still on my original front brake pads.

Thanks, I am starting to having some starting issues. Once every two weeks, I hit the starter button and it only clicks the first time. Probably the bushings like you mentioned or battery.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Would prefer to be in your shoes as I have ridden out to Colorado on the bike and would much prefer riding out there to Florida even given the deer.

Florida does have deer, but they are smaller and infrequently seen, but three years ago I lived in Michigan where there are a ton of deer. After one close call, we came to an agreement.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
You will get there. What I wanted to tell people is that if you take good care of a motorcycle, it will take good care of you and last longer than the prevailing wisdom. At the same time, the bike is getting a little old and as my primary vehicle, I need to start thinking about what comes next. I have thought about buying another low mileage FZ6 and keeping mine as a parts bike, but sometimes it is good to try something new.

Leading candidates: rumored FJ07 or if they bring the XSR700 here, Versys 650 LT, DL650, FJ09 or a great deal in the used market for something different. While I am partial to Yamahas the FJ09 is a little pricey, has too small of a range for my liking, expensive LED headlight replacement and too many electronics that could add up down the road. The dl650 would be a no brainer, but for the 15,000 mile valve check interval and stupid placement of the oil filter or lack of belly pan as standard by the engineers. That oil filter design irks me to no end for some reason. I really like the new Versys 650, but I hated the one I test rode three years ago. It was like riding a paint shaker. The Versys 1000 could be a possibility, but I have already owned liter bikes and prefer the middle weights as you can ride them harder and they make for better commuters cost wise.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
What was the cause of the CC and tensioner swap? I know vegasrider had his wear out and kissed a valve (I believe) at around 60k miles. Did it just get noisy and give you plenty of warning?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I am starting to having some starting issues. Once every two weeks, I hit the starter button and it only clicks the first time. Probably the bushings like you mentioned or battery.

I'm guessing it's the brushes too. Everyone said it was a loose wire or some kind of an electrical issue like a weak battery. Good thing is you can always get going with a push start. Here's the picture of my worn out brushes. on the starter. Parts were around $30, another $120 for labor including the time to trouble shoot what the problem was. I also had to get my rear shock replaced, it started leaking. Are you still on your original throttle cable? I am.

20151002_163625_zps1v8jlbqd.jpg

Dang, that's impressive.

What kind of rides do you do that rack up that kind of mileage?

Being that your bike is an '09, I would say the mileage is very impressive. I bought my bike in the spring of 2007 new, and rolled over 100k at the first of this year.

Last edited:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
As to gear, here are items I had had during those miles:

1 Fieldsheer Aston 1.0 Leather Perforated Jacket
1 Himalaya Textile Mesh pants
2 pair Touratech gloves, one mesh, one not really waterproof
1 Revit H2O rainsuit that doesn't really repel rain
3 Helmets: Bell Apex?, Norton n90 and LS2 ff358
2 boots, one off brand, one Sidi Rain Way

Closest call involved a collision with a bouncing semi truck tire on the interstate. It came off a semi bounced over the median, hit a pickup truck ahead of me and then me on the left front side. Bent my gear shifter and bruised my foot. Miracle I was able to keep it up and I think the cars around me thought the same thing bc everyone behind and beside me had braked hard expecting me to lose it.

How lucky you were the other cars noticed and braked hard to give you room. Good job keeping it up! Did you see Iannone get hit by a seagull at the Phillip Island MotoGP race last Sunday? His front faring had a hole in it just below the headlight area and he ended up in 3rd place. Pretty amazing huh.

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
And that was only from part of the seagull after it exploded from a headbutt.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
To answer some questions posted:

You want to replace the cam chain and tensioner before it slips and you need major engine work. You will hear a ticking noise as warning. The sound tells you the tensioner has exceeded its life expectancy and is no longer tightening the chain.

I have a 110 mile round trip commute to work and I use my motorcycle as my primary vehicle. I also use for trips as I have been as far West as Colorado, as far North as Michigan and as far east as Virginia. I would actually prefer to have fewer miles, but more quality miles as riding to work on the interstate isn't much fun.

Still on the original throttle cable.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 110 mile round trip commute to work and I use my motorcycle as my primary vehicle. I also use for trips as I have been as far West as Colorado, as far North as Michigan and as far east as Virginia. I would actually prefer to have fewer miles, but more quality miles as riding to work on the interstate isn't much fun.

I see, I do about 15,000 miles by car every year, plus 7,000 or so on my bike. My commute is just as long as yours, I just can't handle sitting on the bike on the highway. It's not fun for me.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Updating this thread as I went over 120,000 miles recently and it is still going strong. The engine still pulls like new. I don't ride as much so it has taken me a little longer to get to 120k. I also recently tried to sell it, but most people are wary of the high miles.