-1 sprocket + speedo

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone down a tooth on my front sprocket, but now my speedo seems like it's miles off. I've not got a frame of reference, but I expected it to over-read by 2-3mph, it feels like it is off much more. E.g. what feels like 30mph reads 40 on the speedo, not had a chance to get my sat nav on there to test it.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone down a tooth on my front sprocket, but now my speedo seems like it's miles off. I've not got a frame of reference, but I expected it to over-read by 2-3mph, it feels like it is off much more. E.g. what feels like 30mph reads 40 on the speedo, not had a chance to get my sat nav on there to test it.

Yup, that will happen. Check out the speedohealer site. I think they have a way to tell how far the speedo is off by entering the stock sprocket sizes and what yours now are. I think my Rear sprocket is +2, and my speedo is off by about 10%. The faster you go, the larger the MPH reading will be off.

-1 on the front sprocket calculates out to be a 11.1% speed difference. So if your speedo is reading 45, you are really doing about 40ish.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
The speedo is about 6-7% over with the stock 16T sprocket. With a 15T sprocket, this error increases to 12-14%. So if your speedo says 80 you are only going 70. At 40 you're really going 35, etc. With a 17T sprocket your speedo will be within 1% at all speeds, but your odometer will be about 6-7% lower than actual distance. Likewise, the odometer is 6-7% higher than actual with a 15T sprocket.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i would add that my bike feels a lot smoother and less lumpy with the -1 sprocket, though the new chain probably made a difference too

think i have a better idea of the speedo after riding home tonight and going past several speed cameras (carefully), and following some cars

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You need a speedo healer. I bought the Heal Tech one. VERY good.

+1 on the Speedohealer.

Mine is flat dead on per the GPS (within .3 MPH).

The newer ones also have a plug in button(iwth long wire) that lets you record your highest top speed and re-set it when you wish. Kinda neat to check..

With the Yamaha adapter, its a plug and play install (plus making the settings). Its easy enough to remove and put on yor next bike too..