1/4 turn throttle?

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard of people with outher bikes putting shorter turn throttles on their bikes, anyone done this with the fz6? Planning on swapping to fz1 bars would like to do this too if its simple.

Thanks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember someone posting a different throttle cam for smoother throttle but I don't know the specs on it. I don't think it was anywhere near a 1/4 turn and I believe that would make the throttle much more touchy and less friendly. :rolleyes:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to imagine with 14000 rpm in only a quarter turn it would be immensely harder to control the power precisely. I've only ever heard of cruisers having them, never a 600cc sport bike.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine too, so I'm not sure how much more you would want it shortened, they are already at 1/4 or maybe 3/8, as touchy as it is to begin with I wouldn't want anything shorter, IMO

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, coming from a Ninja 250 which had between 3/8 and 1/2 turn throttle throw, the FZ seems perfect. In fact, it requires a bit more pressure to turn the throttle on this bike, but it allows me to reach full throttle without releasing and regripping the throttle. Wouldn't want any less travel.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
It mostly came from the Suzuki world as I remember it. The stock suzuki throttle requires adjustment. Stick an R1 tube in and you have a 1/5 throw, put a R6 you have a 1/4.

I've seen bigger cams(shorter throws) look around the race paddocks and its not uncommon to see ALOT of bikes with motionpro quick turns all the way down to 1/6 turn. Even on race preped liter bikes pumping out 170+RWHP

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something, but my stock FZ6's throttle only has a quarter turn of travel.

I concur - maybe the OP is referring to the 'smooth cam' throttle tube? (different turning radius (cam lobe) at the beginning of throttle pull to alleviate the surge)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh to answer the original question most other bikes, like the suzukis mentioned above have way more than a 1/4 turn. Most yamahas already have 1/4 or close to it which is why every one steals them. You've probably heard the term 1/4 turn thrown around so much that some people use it anonymously with any quick turn throttle. Or you may be referring to a progressive cam

Last edited: