07' FZ6 engine/frame scuffs- Remove?

Vroom!Vroom!

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to the forum and I just bought a USED 07' FZ6. The previous owner had gotten into a minor accident and the sides of the engine got scuffed and scraped a bit. Also, there's is a minor (maybe a bit more than minor) scrape on the side of the frame right above a bolt that attaches it to the engine that had gotten scraped up as well. I was wondering if there was any way to fix the marks or are they just going to have to stay there?

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum, I don't know about the scuffs maybe someone else can help you here, maybe try painting them black? Let us see those Pic of your new ride. Have fun and ride safe

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're looking to do it yourself ColoRite.com can match and ship a touch up bottle for around 30 bucks. Worked well for me.

Vroom!Vroom!

Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to the forum... why would you want to get rid of battle scars??? are they really noticable?? pics???

"Battle scars"? That's a good way to put it. I might just end up keeping them just for that reason. It kind of tells the story of the bikes' past.

But I just took off the entire front cowling and it looks like I'm going to have to replace the entire front end. When I bought the bike it looked like it was just fairing damage but when I took off the "head" it turns out a lot pieces on the inside (fasteners etc.) got cracked or completely broken off. Man I wish I could beat up the guy who sold me the bike :p jk. But anyways, does anyone know how much it would cost to fix the entire front cowling? I'm talking everything: headlights and all.

darkstofknightz

Reaction score
Visit site
"Battle scars"? That's a good way to put it. I might just end up keeping them just for that reason. It kind of tells the story of the bikes' past.

But I just took off the entire front cowling and it looks like I'm going to have to replace the entire front end. When I bought the bike it looked like it was just fairing damage but when I took off the "head" it turns out a lot pieces on the inside (fasteners etc.) got cracked or completely broken off. Man I wish I could beat up the guy who sold me the bike :p jk. But anyways, does anyone know how much it would cost to fix the entire front cowling? I'm talking everything: headlights and all.

I feel your pain. I kinda had the same story you did but the damage was not as severe. I noticed the damage on mine when I bought it and the original owner played dumb, but since I spotted it I was able to embarrass him into giving me a great price.

Anyway, heres where I went,

http://www.ronayers.com/

Make sure (if you use them) that you clarify what codes = what colors. I used them for some of my parts and I would buy from them again.

Last edited:

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com

I have everything you need from a 2007, sell it all very cheap. PM me.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the scrapes on the frame aren't too deep, they can can be smoothed down by sanding.

My 07 had scrapes on both sides of the frame(where it sticks out the furthest(just under the gas tank). Mine went down, by the original owner, at about 40 MPH. I used the small (approx 2" diameter) sanding discs working down to a very fine disc. The smaller disc (you can use on a drill but a small air-rotating air sander is better) gives you more control. Take off JUST WHAT YOU NEED as the frame is fairly thin.

I got my frame baby smooth, without paint, then painted. The cam chain cover was really gauged, I just replaced that as I kept sanding, and sanding, they were deep but not leaking... You can try, worse case scenerio, a new cover...

And as posted above, "Colorite" is exactly what Yamaha uses (I think their headquartered in Miami) for the engine and the black frames.

Last edited:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
you can also fill the scratches first if they are deep, then sand and paint. I use a putty style epoxy like Billy Mays used to sell on TV. I just go to home depot and buy marine epoxy. It is the same stuff Billy sold. It is great on plastics, really did a great job on my grab bar.

As for the entire front end, you can sometimes find a cheep one on the site. When people go naked, they often sell their entire front kit minus the speedo.

Vroom!Vroom!

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the scrapes on the frame aren't too deep, they can can be smoothed down by sanding.

My 07 had scrapes on both sides of the frame(where it sticks out the furthest(just under the gas tank). Mine went down, by the original owner, at about 40 MPH. I used the small (approx 2" diameter) sanding discs working down to a very fine disc. The smaller disc (you can use on a drill but a small air-rotating air sander is better) gives you more control. Take off JUST WHAT YOU NEED as the frame is fairly thin.

I got my frame baby smooth, without paint, then painted. The cam chain cover was really gauged, I just replaced that as I kept sanding, and sanding, they were deep but not leaking... You can try, worse case scenerio, a new cover...

And as posted above, "Colorite" is exactly what Yamaha uses (I think their headquartered in Miami) for the engine and the black frames.
Yeah I'll see about sanding it down. I just first have to save up to buy a sander! But yeah, paint is definitely going to happen, sooner or later. I just have to find the right color.

Also, what's a cover- Fairing perhaps??

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'll see about sanding it down. I just first have to save up to buy a sander! But yeah, paint is definitely going to happen, sooner or later. I just have to find the right color.

Also, what's a cover- Fairing perhaps??

The cover I was refering to is the right side cam chain engine cover, just forward of the clutch cover, kinda ovalish. It covers the cam chain, pick up sensor, usually scrapes up if you go sliding on its side... Has a black plastic plug in the middle of it with a slot...

Vroom!Vroom!

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your pain. I kinda had the same story you did but the damage was not as severe. I noticed the damage on mine when I bought it and the original owner played dumb, but since I spotted it I was able to embarrass him into giving me a great price.
How much did you end up getting the bike for? I talked the guy I bought my bike off of down to $1,800..

darkstofknightz

Reaction score
Visit site
How much did you end up getting the bike for? I talked the guy I bought my bike off of down to $1,800..

He had it originally listed for 3,200. It was some father selling it for his daughter. He had told me over the phone that it was in perfect condition. I guess he didn't even look at it, or just took his daughters word for it (who lied). It appeared that she tried to sit on it a few times and just dropped it. I grilled him and he was pretty embarrassed as he should have been (Drove half the state and rented a trailer). I ended up buying it for 2,500. It's a 2005 with 1700 miles on it. Pretty much a brand new bike with some cosmetics that I have since fixed.