07 fz6 cluster not working

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If i had to guess, i think c0ckroach poo killed your gauge! There is suspecious matter inside that when mixed with moisture may have been a catylist which has done some damage to the copper on the PCBA. The suspect area has been repaired but im hesitent to force the needle off the meter for further inspection under that area as its resisting removal. It has the voltage regulator section of the circuit under there but w/out being able to get the needle off the dial, inspection for further damage / cleaning / repair is impossible.
So, are there c0ckroaches in those parts? If so, :Flip:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If i had to guess, i think c0ckroach poo killed your gauge! There is suspecious matter inside that when mixed with moisture may have been a catylist which has done some damage to the copper on the PCBA. The suspect area has been repaired but im hesitent to force the needle off the meter for further inspection under that area as its resisting removal. It has the voltage regulator section of the circuit under there but w/out being able to get the needle off the dial, inspection for further damage / cleaning / repair is impossible.
So, are there c0ckroaches in those parts? If so, :Flip:

Next item; what ever got into this this, well it was very destructive. Neither of the switches conduct. I removed them both and pumped allot of contact cleaner through them. One came back and seems to work (Pushing it creates a short between the terminals) while the other remains very random in operation. At best it shows 80K ohms when pressed while the other goes to 0.7 ohms. Aside from that, I patched a few vias and the evaporated trace which goes through the board for power.

Why a picture of the back of the mounting panel? It has a one way breathable fabric in it. It lets moisture out, but not in.

Lets see if that was enough. [MENTION=25310]joshk5145[/MENTION]
From left to right: Clean board w/ minor repairs, defunct switch, fabric stuff, top side of gauge with LCD removed. In that picture you can see the processor, logic, memory and string of LEDs. Those are the backlight for the LCD display. The two black tubes are the turn indicators with LEDs at the bottom. You can also see the push buttons.

joshk5145

Reaction score
Visit site
You are the man! Great work! Can't wait to see if it will work! I had attempted to remove the needle also but was unsuccessful too. I think the bike did sit in a garage for a while so that might explain where the ****roaches came from.

joshk5145

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a cluster update but I have gotten my building for the bike and installed my fz1 naked kit and wired all of the lights up! Pic is not after final fit so headlight was not lined up perfect. [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] I sent you a PM but not sure if it went through. If I send it from my phone it doesn't show up on my computer and vise versa. Just let me know if you've gotten anything. Thanks!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Its ALIVE!!!!
So do all functions work? And what about the miles? I didn't understand that.

Thanks for the vid of it working! Glad i could help!
52444d1395593223-07-fz6-cluster-not-working-image-2436361837.jpg

joshk5145

Reaction score
Visit site
Its ALIVE!!!!
So do all functions work? And what about the miles? I didn't understand that.

Thanks for the vid of it working! Glad i could help!
52444d1395593223-07-fz6-cluster-not-working-image-2436361837.jpg

Huge thank you to [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] for bringing this thing to life! Everything seems to be working great. I've still got to get some beer money to send to you! Sorry for the late update I've had a killer stomach bug.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So Tell me about this bike - looks to have non-standard forks (R6?), clips ons, what else are you rockin there?? [MENTION=25310]joshk5145[/MENTION]

joshk5145

Reaction score
Visit site
So Tell me about this bike - looks to have non-standard forks (R6?), clips ons, what else are you rockin there?? [MENTION=25310]joshk5145[/MENTION]

I haven't identified the forks yet but I believe they are r6 forks. Actually didn't know until after I bought the bike. I'll get some pics and maybe someone can help me figure out exactly what I have. This is my first bike and I've never seen another fz6 to compare it to so there may be more than I know of that's been modified.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done dude. Reading through this thread, I am very impressed. Another FZ6 Forum win!

I would have bought a new one on Amazon or eBay or something and thrown it out ... great dedication to the repair! :thumbup:

joshk5145

Reaction score
Visit site
A few pics [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] Maybe someone knows what I have lol,

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
more pics. Hopefully these load.

These came out as thumbnails. All very tiny. I'd like to see the top and bottom triple as well as, does the front and rear wheel match? If its an FZ wheel the two are the same spoke pattern. That could give some insight as to where the forks came from.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, my bike's cluster is working but background light is not working. I read the topic but some of attachments are missing. Where should I look first?

Last edited: