05 FZ6 Cutting out and Died at Idle

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
So ive recently got some cold weather gear and have been riding my bike around more...The other day i took it out for a ride outside temp was probably low 50s so not too cold anyways twice while on the throttle the engine cut out almost like i let of the throttle but alot harsher, then today while riding again temp was around upper 50s i was sitting at a traffic light just idling and the engine died, CEL came on i tried to restart, wouldnt, hit the kill switch and then back off and she fired right up, didnt die again... Any ideas on what it may be...bike just hit over 20k miles this past summer, has had recent oil change within the past 500 miles. Im a Car technician but when it comes to motorcycles im somewhat clueless...any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

S

Shamus McFeeley

Bikes are not all that different from cars, FI is FI after all. The obvious thing would be the throttle position sensor, I believe that the 05's were affected along with the 04's.

Some other (but probably less likely ideas)
Faulty kickstand switch
Starting circuit relay
Bad battery connections

Did you get any error codes when this happened?

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont know about any error codes as im not sure how to check them...i was sitting in heavy traffic at a light in the middle lane so getting it started and going was my main concern...how does one check for error codes?

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
IMHO if this continues, check your charging system.

Rectifier or stator or both.

But check for error codes first, i don't have the link handy, but it's on the forum!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So ive recently got some cold weather gear and have been riding my bike around more...The other day i took it out for a ride outside temp was probably low 50s so not too cold anyways twice while on the throttle the engine cut out almost like i let of the throttle but alot harsher, then today while riding again temp was around upper 50s i was sitting at a traffic light just idling and the engine died, CEL came on i tried to restart, wouldnt, hit the kill switch and then back off and she fired right up, didnt die again... Any ideas on what it may be...bike just hit over 20k miles this past summer, has had recent oil change within the past 500 miles. Im a Car technician but when it comes to motorcycles im somewhat clueless...any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

The kill switch is also a suspect. Dirty contacts will cause the motor to cut out.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you just installed heated gear i would go.with the obvious first....check that your battery is connected good, the screws could have vibrated loose after connecting a controller. When i first got my bike the previous owner had installed a new battery and this same thing happened to me. The negative terminal had worked its way loose and the engine sometimes die for no aparent reason (wire coming off - terminal) and when it did happen my check engine light would come on for a second then go right back off (- wire reconecting with terminal) and since you jut got heated gear, i guess this was not a problem before hand, personally i would check that first

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I just had my kill switch fail on me recently and your symptoms match mine to a T. I can't say that this is definitely it, but I'd guess it's the best starting point. If the bike starts back up after a few seconds or after flipping the kill switch back and forth then it's not your charging system or battery.

If this is indeed the problem the standard fix seems to be cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. I replaced the entire assembly on mine since the starter button was also hosed up. It's perfect now.

Good luck!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The kill switch is also a suspect. Dirty contacts will cause the motor to cut out.

+1 on the above.

To rule this out, you can hot wire(by pass) the kill switch. There are numerous threads on the kill switch failing, especially if you use it often. If you start the bike (at home) and gentle manipulate the switch (don't turn it off) you'll probably get it to fail right there verifying the failed switch. If there's a bad connection with the contacts on the kill switch, it will cut out randomly as is yours...

The entire right side switch assembly is about $65.00

Battery connections also need to be checked and if loose, will cause havoc..

Your bike may have a re-called TPS (all 04's and most 05's to my knowledge), you can check it here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

Calling your local Yamaha dealer (or Yamaha headquarters 1-888-88-YAMAHA )and giving them the VIN # will let you know if the free fix has been done to your bike as well (if needed).

Last edited:

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info guys! I think i was misleading about the cold weather gear...i dont have any heated gear just stuff to go under my jacket and pants...I will check the connections on the battery just to be safe, i will also play around with the kill switch...after your guys comments it sounds like it could be the culprit..i will also call the local dealer to check and see if the TPS recall is still active on the bike.

VeeDubbinJetta91

Reaction score
Visit site
So i went out and checked the bike last night...under the DIAG 01 at a rest the value is 17 at full throttle is 102, i'm guessing maybe the tb's need adjustment? after looking at the Recall campagin there is a dot next to my vin below the gauges so i'm guessing that means the TPS recall has already been done. After checking the readings i was playing with the Cutoff switch it was late at night so i didn't have the bike running but in the "Run" position on the switch if i moved it side to side i heard an intermittent clicking noise depending on how i would push it...that leads me to believe i have a failing engine cutoff switch. Guess i will get the bike running and mess with the switch to see if it dies while playing with the switch

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So i went out and checked the bike last night...under the DIAG 01 at a rest the value is 17 at full throttle is 102, i'm guessing maybe the tb's need adjustment? after looking at the Recall campagin there is a dot next to my vin below the gauges so i'm guessing that means the TPS recall has already been done. After checking the readings i was playing with the Cutoff switch it was late at night so i didn't have the bike running but in the "Run" position on the switch if i moved it side to side i heard an intermittent clicking noise depending on how i would push it...that leads me to believe i have a failing engine cutoff switch. Guess i will get the bike running and mess with the switch to see if it dies while playing with the switch

Yes it does sound like the TPS has been fixed and the #'s are close enough.

And yes, just crank up the bike and manipulate the switch with the bike running, it should act up then. You can hot wire the 2 wires and completly and by pass the switch as well.. If cleaning the switch contacts, use a pencil eraser on the contacts.