04 seems to be running warm?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm the only owner of my 04 FZ6, and I've accounted for all but approximately 6 miles of the 15,000+ that's on it. I've always done the maintenance myself (not that there's been much to do past oil changes and chain duty).

Recently, it's hit me that it seems like my bike's running a bit warm. Typically it's always sat on 2 bars on the temp gauge while riding, and in the rare instances it's hit 3, it was only in stop and go traffic, especially when the ambient air temps were higher. Lately it very quickly gets up to 3 bars at a stop, and seems to take forever to drop back down to 2, even with air temps in the 50's and 60's.

Over the weekend I decided to change the coolant, as that had never been done. I have noticed no change, and it almost seems to have gotten worse! I've inspected the radiator, and with the exception of some dried bug guts and a couple bent fins, it looks fine.

I'm not sure what else to check at this point. Fortunately, it hasn't gotten too warm yet, so running temps aren't too bad, but with summer approaching, I'm slightly concerned. This may be all in my head, but I figured I'd throw this out there as a sanity check for myself.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Running lean makes it hotter, but what can make it run leaner i don't know.
After i've done the air filter mod (cutting the air filter box for more air)
it got a bit more warmer.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Running lean makes it hotter, but what can make it run leaner i don't know.
After i've done the air filter mod (cutting the air filter box for more air)
it got a bit more warmer.

The intake is completely stock.

I did sync the throttle bodies last year. Maybe I messed that up. I'll have to take another look at it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It may be worthwhile to pull the temp sensor from the coolant system and boil it in water while measuring the resistance. You'll need an Ohm meter (DMM) and fairly accurate thermometer. Maybe its just the gauge. Also check all your grounds and connectors for corrosion. Maybe its not hot at all but is simply reporting the wrong info???

While doing this, pull the thermostat and boil it too. I have not looked at the spec but if I had to guess I'd say mine is set to opens around 180~ 185F which seems kinda low so look up both of numbers.

Does it ever ping or detonate? Also on this note a higher grade of gas may be helpful too.

OK - I looked!
If boiled in water the T-Stat should be fully opened by 185F.

If cooled and boiled (read the manual) the Temperature Sensor should perform as follows while measuring Ohms:
5.21–6.37 kΩ at 0°C (32°F)
0.29–0.35 kΩ at 80°C (176°F)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
It may be worthwhile to pull the temp sensor from the coolant system and boil it in water while measuring the resistance. You'll need an Ohm meter (DMM) and fairly accurate thermometer. Maybe its just the gauge. Also check all your grounds and connectors for corrosion. Maybe its not hot at all but is simply reporting the wrong info???

While doing this, pull the thermostat and boil it too. I have not looked at the spec but if I had to guess I'd say mine is set to opens around 180~ 185F which seems kinda low so look up both of numbers.

Does it ever ping or detonate? Also on this note a higher grade of gas may be helpful too.

OK - I looked!
If boiled in water the T-Stat should be fully opened by 185F.

If cooled and boiled (read the manual) the Temperature Sensor should perform as follows while measuring Ohms:
5.21–6.37 kΩ at 0°C (32°F)
0.29–0.35 kΩ at 80°C (176°F)

I've never noticed any pinging or detonation.

For note, I run fully synthetic 10W-40. I may switch up and try to find 20W-40, but I don't know that it'd make that great of a difference in that respect.

*edit* And WOW. They couldn't have found a better place to put the thermostat?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never noticed any pinging or detonation.

For note, I run fully synthetic 10W-40. I may switch up and try to find 20W-40, but I don't know that it'd make that great of a difference in that respect.

*edit* And WOW. They couldn't have found a better place to put the thermostat?

OK - that brings up another topic. Oil filters. A restrictive filter could raise the temp a bit. . . but I find it unlikely.

Do you have access to one of those laser thermometers? You could get some Ball park figures that indicate the engines temp. When the T-state opens the outlet pipe to the radiator should go from 150'ish to 185F.

I'm just thinking out loud as I don't know what you're up for to figure this out.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
OK - that brings up another topic. Oil filters. A restrictive filter could raise the temp a bit. . . but I find it unlikely.

Do you have access to one of those laser thermometers? You could get some Ball park figures that indicate the engines temp. When the T-state opens the outlet pipe to the radiator should go from 150'ish to 185F.

I'm just thinking out loud as I don't know what you're up for to figure this out.

I'm 99% sure I could get my hands on a laser thermometer. I could do the thermostat and temp sensor. It's just not going to happen this weekend. The down side is that I'll have to change the coolant again, but that's not entirely the end of the world.