Valve Adjustment

Live4him

Reaction score
Visit site
The dealership says i need a valve adjustment, but there saying 300 dollars, is there a way to do it myself, or should i just let them do it?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You mean they need to CHECK the valves to see IF they need to be adjusted?

Do you agree with what they are telling you? What is the mileage of your bike and when were the valves last CHECKED?

People do this on there own without paying a dealership, yes. Whether you can do it is another story.

S

Shamus McFeeley

The inspection window is (around) every 26,000 miles.

Yes, it is possible to do it yourself. You need to be halfway decent with a wrench and math. If you do the job yourself it will take about 2 - 2 1/2 hours by yourself the first time to disassemble and measure the clearances. Add another hour onto that if you need to change out one or more of the shims. If you're lucky, all of your clearances will be in spec and you won't have to change anything out. The biggest part of this job is patience and attention to detail. Take it slow, don't rush it.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THE DEALER. For the sake of your engine, and your wallet.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Clearly I don't know what you bike sounds like and can't tell you if it's fine or not, but out bike is known for making a tapping noise. Everyone freaks out about it when they first get the bike....there are threads on it. Yours could be different, or not.

Tell the tech the valve clearance CHECK interval is 24,000 miles and often no adjustment is needed. Tell him you're going to get a second opinion and see what he says. Then go get a second opinion.

Or be like me and don't do it all. I only have 62,000 on my bike. I tend to stretch things out.

The roll the dice, close your eyes, and hope for the best method. AKA, the Vegas method.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
The inspection window is (around) every 26,000 miles.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THE DEALER. For the sake of your engine, and your wallet.

You know, you probably don't realize it but the guy running the shop probably has huge boat payments. Add to that, the berthing charges, the astronomical fuel bill with operating a 35 foot boat, the insurance, the ridiculous Heinekin bill, entertainment, bikinis, etc., and it makes a gigantic expense. So, keep in mind that he has huge bills to pay and, therefore, you're getting a bargain. And, please smile when you pay the $95.00+ hour labor charge for the valve job---how would you like to have to charge people $400.00 or so for a valve check/adjustment?