Where to buy lithium-soap-based grease

newfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Canadian Tire and they did not have lithium-soap-based grease that the service manual calls for.

I am located in Toronto? Is this a Yamaha specific grease avaialble only from the dealership?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Canadian Tire and they did not have lithium-soap-based grease that the service manual calls for.

I am located in Toronto? Is this a Yamaha specific grease avaialble only from the dealership?

Are you doing brake parts? In that case - NO petroleum based greases. They will damage brake rubber components.

PS - I like this! :thumbup:
I am located in Toronto?

I too have been uncertain where I am at times! :D

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Go to a hardware store.

Just ask for a white lithium grease.

When I was in Quebec, I couldn't find **** in Canadian tire. Not a very stocked store or knowledgeable for that matter.

newfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you doing brake parts? In that case - NO petroleum based greases. They will damage brake rubber components.

This is for the periodic lubrication of all the recommended areas on the fz6 listed in the 2004 service manual (pg 79) such as, swingarm pivot bearings, steering bearings, brake and clutch lever/pedal pivot shafts, centerstand, and sidestand.

I do have White Lithium Grease (using it on the car door hinges, looks pretty ugly, always stays white). Is that the same thing I suppose to use? Is there something better ?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always used white lithium grease for the swingarm, steering head bearings, and clutch/brake lever. It's cheap and it works.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For those applications I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease - as its meant to endure high moisture content and not break down or be displaced.

Plus this is relatively "low pressure" applications which this would be perfect for as far as grease goes.