Want to fit kill switch to alarm.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have just fitted one of those cheap alarm systems to my bike, I did a proper job and made a nice power cable with loom wrap and heat shrink instead of using flappy wires they give you, I fitted it under the seat I know its not ideal but its out the way. Anyways I wanted to fit a discreet on/off switch I can access quickly to turn it off if I don't have a key or if I don't want it on draining the battery. Where do you reckons best to fit it to? also switched live or switched neutral?. I have gotten this switch as its small and I shouldn't have to drill to big a hole its a latching on/off little button. Good idea or bad idea?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How is the alarm enabled and disabled? My experience with alarms is when power is disrupted and then the power is reapplied the alarm sounds off as if the unit is being stolen. This would be where the switch would be put to save the battery drain. That does not seem to be a good solution. Better alarm systems will drain less battery probably due to how they use duty cycles to look at the system. Some alarm systems use radio frequency to sense perimeter violation and warn a thief and/or owner of proximity violation. that would use more power from the battery but again power use can depend on the duty cycle involved when the rf signal is active.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your knowledge, Its just a 15 dollar motorcycle alarm from amazon but had 1000s of 4 and half star ratings, I'm actually quite impressed with it. Its activated/deactivated with a key fob and when installing it I did disconnect and reconnect it a few times but it doesn't think its under attack as it has no backup battery and not attack feature that you mentioned. I have it on the lowest sensitivity but its still quite sensitive, for 15 dollars I thought its worth having so I can hear if my bike or bike cover is being lifted during the night but I have a feeling high winds might set it off. Im going to try installing the button and see how it goes. Like I said its not a proper bells and whistles alarm but for the money its ok I guess. Just had a look at the reviews and a lot say that battery drain is quite good on it so I'm not too worried short term. Over the winter ill store it in my garage and turn the alarm off.