Transmission or sprocket?

Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
2007 FZ6 25,000 miles

So I noticed tonight coming home from work that everytime I take off from a light I get a nasty grinding clunking noise, none of this has to do with the normal chain noises and its not shifting noise. It is real bad in 1st and only in low RPM in 2nd as far as I can tell. To me it sounds like gears grinding or something. I am going to take the cover off the front sprocket in the morning and see if anything looks nasty. But what do yall think?

Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the cover off the front sprocket and the teeth are curved, but the sprocket isnt loose. I am betting my chain is worn too. I am new to motorcycles so I don't know. I adjusted the chain to factory specs a few weeks ago and cleaned and lubed it.

This noise just started today out of the blue. its more of a feel the grinding through the frame rather than hearing it.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be that your sprockets and chain are worn. Can you post pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the cover off the front sprocket and the teeth are curved, but the sprocket isnt loose. I am betting my chain is worn too. This noise just started today out of the blue. its more of a feel the grinding through the frame rather than hearing it.

If you can see the teeth worn/bent, itsworn out big time. The chain and rear sprocket very likely as well. If its the original chain (unknown history to you) likely, its served its purpose and all is due for replacement.

Its NOT unusual at all for worn chains (with even one or two sticky/frozen links) to make odd noises and actually feel it thru the bike itself..

You really want to replace it before it lets loose and potentially goes thru the engine and / or lock up the rear wheel...(not good).. This HAS happened before...

IMO, stick with OEM sprockets (the front stock one is slightly quieter than a aftermarket and the stock 530 will last longer than an available 520..

Last edited:

kaptep

Reaction score
Visit site
Not the hardest repair out there and not all that expensive. I agree, get them swapped out, all of them. Front, Rear, and chain. Some people take this opportunity to add or remove teeth to the rear sprocket to get a different feel on the bike. Something to look into if you want.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
For sure your final drive components are worn beyond suggested wear limits if you can readily see curved engine sprocket teeth! Both sprockets and chain must be replaced ASAP! Stock is 530 chain 118 links, 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket and 46 tooth wheel sprocket. This is an opportunity to change your gearing if you want. I went to an aftermarket CS sprocket + one to 17T. This made the gearing higher with less vibration and RPM for the same speed. Also I get slightly better gas consumption. Your driveline will last longer too. Be aware your speedo will now read exactly your actual speed and your odometer reading will now read low. In other words if you went 100 miles it would show 96 approx. The relationship between your RPM and speed on your instruments would not change. I went to a 120 link chain which moved the wheel back as I have hard bags and wanted a longer wheelbase to put a little more weight on the front wheel. The stock 118 link chain will also work with the wheel then most of the way forward. I'm happy with this change though maybe I have to downshift to 5th or even 4th to pass.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW: having been here since 2011, I don't recall anyone breaking the transmission on this bike! They are pretty bullet proof!

Sounds like chain and sprockets are needed, as stated, posted a couple of pictures.

Also while riding, point your left knee outward and listen. Moist of the noise from chian will be apparent. When all is well a healthy drive chain assembly is nearly noise free and vibration free too!

Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys so much! I appreciate all the helpful comments! I will post up a pic but it sounds pretty obvious at this point! I think I will get a DID kit with steel sprockets and a 530 x-ring chain all OEM teeth.

Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just got the bike back from the Yamaha Sports Plaza with a new chain and front and rear sprockets. I bought the parts but then realized it wasn't a clip style master link so had them install and rivet the chain.

So after re adjusting my shifter which they didn't put back right I took it for a ride. I get a fairly loud whining from the chain and sure enough I have 1 and 3/8 inch chain slack.

In my opinion it should be 1 7/8 to 2 1/8 then re adjusted in a few hundred miles. Not super tight like this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1 &3/8" is way too tight. Friggin dealers, wonder why they get the crappy reputations...

Definitely loosen it to 2" at its tightest point on the center-stand. With some force, measure one link total up and down (should just touch the bottom of the swing arm at full droop).

The middle of the lower run is about at the end of the plastic chain guard, (on the bottom.)

That should cut the whining down considerably.

Keep after it with your chain lube as the factory grease flings off..

Last edited:

Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
1 &3/8" is way too tight. Friggin dealers, wonder why they get the crappy reputations...

Definitely loosen it to 2" at its tightest point on the center-stand. With some force, measure on link total up and down (should just touch the bottom of the swing arm at full droop).

The middle of the lower run is about at the end of the plastic chain guard, (on the bottom.)

That should cut the whining down considerably.

Keep after it with your chain lube as the factory grease flings off..

Very good. Just wanted to get confirmation. I'll loosen and ride some more and lube after 50 miles.

Delasangre4231

Reaction score
Visit site
So from 1 3/8 I adjusted it to 1 7/8 which gives it that room to stretch in the first few miles. No more whining, just slight transmission noise. Going to do an oil change soon anyways.

Thanks guys!