Training help

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
turbid: my grandad was from malta :D
Sorry to hear about the difficulties getting training there, although i wouldn't think the roads there dangerous? Improving your skills is easy, if you focus on the simple things, like weaving and braking. How many scooters are on Malta?

Ok, go to http://www.thewildcard.co.za/course.pdf to see what i've done with a fairly small peice of parking. I'm keeping it simple ... would you guys want to do this course?

wow thats a small world! beleive me road surfaces here are shiny black which barely grip in fine weather let alone at the slightest spit of rain. things are improving but city roads are in a bad state and traffic education although is getting better still leaves much to be desired. some morons never learn. well you gave me some good ideas maybe i ll go with some friends late in the evening when parking lots are nearly empty and we try there and see how it goes

edit: numbers are steadily increasing here for two wheelers be it scooters or small capacity motorbikes.125's here sell by the truckloads being they are cheap to buy and very cheap to maintain, ninja 250 and hyosung 250 are very common as well. mostly used to commute to work as traffic in winter is always congested be it by schoolbuses, a skid in rain resulting in a crash, etc, summer is easier for traffic

Last edited:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Yesterday was practice session. Myself and 2/3 friends joined me, had the fazer and a scooter, and my kids on bicycles.

The course is SO SMALL on a big bike. Even the figure 8's i had to streeetch to make it. Really slow careful riding, can't get fast enough to use counter steering etc, just slow and cautious. (i'm also scared of dropping, don't have frame sliders yet).

A LOAD of fun, and it's compelling, you just want to do it again and again, fixing yourself a little each time. The zigzag i had to stretch out, i just could NOT make the 4th and 5th turns, so stretched out the zig zag, and i'll include a normal weaving section too. I had 2 figure 8's, i think i'll leave one where it is, and perhaps move the other. The emergency avoidance part also lost out, there just isn't enough space.

But the tar is great, for the "course", and where the slow race and emergency stops will be i had to juggle thanks to bad tar, they're on a different section of the parking.

Tennis balls, dirty cones, and string with coffee tins ... lol ... tools of the trade :D

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
So yesterday was the big day, and i awoke to the sounds of falling rain.

It had mostly cleared by the afternoon, so i went out and set up my stuff. Had 2 riders join me, and we spent about an hour riding around and changing the course to be more challenging.

I was disappointed with the turnout, but yesterday morning, when usually you hear plenty of bikes screaming off on their breakfast runs, not 1. Nobody went out because it was wet.

So we try again for another day.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you advertise it? I'm a member of the Bike SA forum (in case you aren't) so if you want it put on there I'm happy to help.

I only saw this thread this morning for the first time.

Ditto on the silence, I live very close to the R24 and that highway is usually a racetrack from very early! I was up at 6 watching Moto2 and it was very quiet. Fair weather riders!! :spank:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad about your turnout. Too many riders are discouraged by the rain. :spank:
That's really cool of you to set something up like that though. And hey, even though there was poor attendance, I bet you got some awesome practice in! It made you a better rider by doing the challenging courses.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Hey Andz :)
Thanks man! I didn't advertise too widely, my whole idea is "local", and i was worried about too many people arriving. The week before on the practice, we must have seen about 10 or more bikes just riding past. Scooters, no gear, i would have run out and pulled them in!!! But on the wet and windy day, i saw one lonely GSer on the main road.

You know, this is the problem, they never actually test themselves, so when they are tested, they are not prepared. Was funny though, in the middle of one really tricky maneuvre, the wind caught me from the side, at 0km/h, i nearly blew over :D

Well the one bloke came through from alberton, so i'll definitely let you know when we playing again. I thanked the tar owner last night, and he said he's happy to let me use it anytime ... FTW!

tejkowskit: thanks man!! you are right, even this morning i was more in tune with the bike, training works!!!

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Another day has arrived.

17 June we're doing this again, and already i have more people interested.

Same sort of thing, just laying out a course, based on th e UK driver's license, and then enjoy watching all the "big boys" wobbling around.

So many new riders on the roads, and almost no training. Most people go for one course, but that's it. So we make it fun.

Any Jo'burgers give me a shout :)