Training help

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
So i got my piece of tar, a nice guy who owns some parking up the road has agreed to let me use it for a "motorcycle training fun day" ... kind of thing.

Here's what i have:

2 pieces of clean tar, longest about 60m, about 30m wide, plus parking.

Some exercises:
1.Stopping (with tape measure)
2. Cones swerving
3. Figure 8 (size anyone?)
4. Slow race
5. The seesaw (ride over a seesawing plank)
6. I could map out a narrow "route" (600mm wide) for riders to follow.

It would be a sunday afternoon for about 3 hours. The idea is for non-official training, no "instructor" but allowing the people to learn by themselves and from each other. A more community based training approach.

Now there isn't ANYTHING like this by us, we don't even have the MSF. Motorcycle instructors are few and far between, and fairly expensive, and except for the bigger courses hosted at the racetracks, everything is geared solely for K53, which is nice, but it's not basic motorcycle skills training, which is what we ALL need.

I would like to ask for ideas, if i get the first one right i can look at doing it more frequently. Looking for ways to encourage good riding among my fellow riders.

peace

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
If im understanding correctly, im not sure i'd take my bike "seesawing". Dirtbike sure, motorcycle.... not so much

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I would definitely stress:
-Countersteering
-"look through corners"
-Practicing Emergency stops (knowing the forces to apply to each brake to effectively stop quickly without locking up is essential).
-Slow speed handling definitely a good idea... as far as the figure eight... you could make it a contest, have parameters- barriers (top bottom and sides of the figure eight) and move them slowly in and see who remains at the end ? just spitballing there :D
- Slow speed races are always fun:D, unless you drop your bike from being short :spank: (long story).

If i think of anything brilliant later on today i'll toss in an update edit :D

Sounds like a cool idea, Kudos to you for wanting to educate others!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
A good idea... id deff come if I lived close to you... I would suggest for emergency stops to buy a air horn to catch the rider off guard to stop or throw a stufed animal in front of him lol

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Erci thanks! Is that the official "state" size? Since i'm getting quite a few different sizes?

ChevyFazer thanks! Yeah, i didn't consider a "fright" but nice thought. I'm getting a whole bunch of tennis balls, cut in half to act as markers, so i'll incorporate that :D

dxh24: some excellent ideas, keep them coming please!!! I know about countersteering, but i have NO idea how to teach that in such a small space? I also think that would form part of module 2 :D (if there is 1) ditto for looking through corners, great idea, just not sure how to implement?

The braking is easy, tape measure and go! front only, back only, and both. Then wet :D

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
picture.php

Right, so the attached pic is a googleview of the parking, it's TINY.

Green are possible areas of use. Green dots are route markers. Red is route.

On the rhs, there is a course setup, starting bottom left, going through swerving cones, into a u-turn, then right turn, figure 8, left turn, emergency stop, left turn emergency avoidance, and stop.

At the bottom, will be 2x emergency braking lanes, with tape measure.

I've also included 2x figure 8 practice points, although i'm unsure where to put them, likely "under" emergency braking.

Thoughts? (would you want to ride that?)

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked at the module 1 part of the uk test? Might give you an idea of the spacing of the cones etc.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I would do away with the see-saw and change it into an up-hill start and maybe lay out a nice long 2/4 to drive over to simulate riding over a bump or train tracks. You could also do object avoidance, make a Y have the rider drive toward something and signal them to move right or left to avoid the object. You could also try group riding. Have the riders pair up and practice starting, stopping and cornering together.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
When you do the emergency brake, have cones (or the tennis balls) set up so that they have an acceleration lane. They have to acellerate to a decent speed (30mph here) and then at some point after that, decided by the instructor randomly, he will signal to brake. The goal then is to stop as quickly as possible without locking up either wheel.

For the seesaw thing, I'd look at just laying some sort of heavy 2"-4" tall obstical and having the riders ride over it. Make sure it won't pop tires. The board you would be using for the seesaw would suffice. As long as it didn't have nails. The goal there is to get your butt off the seat a bit as you go over without locking your arms up. Unless the object can be secured properly, I'd make sure the guys going over it are going straight.

On the longer section on the left there, after emergency braking, you could put two circles to ride around one smallish 10' or so and the other large 17' or so. 2-3 people would ride around the smallest going for good technique (slid over, knee out, head over inside handlebar, and head as level as possible without wrenching your back), then after a few rides around they move on to the big circle which you ride with just moving your torso over. Kind of like trying to put your chin to the inside handlebar. The second method doesn't move as much weight over to the inside, but should be sufficent for street riding. It also doesn't upset the bike as much if you get in hot accidently and need more.

Then once the group is on the second circle, send some to the first, and keep cycling them through like that. The motion feels like you're pushing on the outside peg and pushing on the inside handlebar. My instructor had us crouch beside the bike like we're riding it and practice the motion a few times, kick back with right foot, push forward with left hand, etc. The motion should be quick and smooth.

And for those of us that need a definition of "looking through the turn" (I sure did), here goes. While you're approaching the turn, begin looking for the apex and estimating a braking end/turn-in pint. As you begin braking for the turn continue looking for/at the apex, and start looking for the exit. Once you're able to see the exit and/or you've reached your turn-in point, turn in and slowly roll on the throttle. As you pass the apex (and can see the exit finally if applicable), look at the exit and the bike should slowly start coming back up. Keep rolling on the throttle as it does, and start to look down traffic again. When the bike is upright enough that handling and throttle control isn't so much an issue, you've exited the turn. And if at all possible, try not to look out of the corner of your eyes. That's a big newb thing that I did too. Target fixation works better if your chin and eyes are pointed the same direction.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Thanks guys, i'm really appreciating the help :)

DDS: great idea, on it :thumbup:

Shawn: An incline is one thing i don't have :( the object avoidance is on the left of the track, can swing left or right, that would need person standing there to indicate. Group rides, i don't have space for that, and it's a bit above this first basic course, definitely on my secret agenda ;-)

DownRangeFuture: Thanks man, some great ideas there!! Braking is in (i'll need another person there) but the seesaw seems a bit much for now, i'll have to speak to someone about making it, so it won't break :) The circles idea i really like, 2 circles, easy and useful, but i can't focus too much on "teaching" technique, ditto for apex turning like you're describing. Again brilliant idea, but i need to put that away for a more advanced session.

Guys keep it coming!!!!!

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Flyer looks great good job !

What's caused you to do such a thing? Are you advertising training/tuition while you're there?

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good man. Just remember with the circles, the goal is to just about have the same speed on each, since you're not moving your butt or anything out of normal riding position on the larger one, the bike will have more lean for the same turn. But by just moving your head, basically, it gives you a bit extra and doesn't upset the bike mid turn.

Also remember to have guys try to "tighten up" the turn after they're already leaned over. Most of the guys will let off the throttle which makes the turn wider. You actually need to lean your body more, not the bike, and give it just a hair more gas.

I wouldn't actually do the seesaw thing at all really. Just go find a 2x4 and have the guys ride over it. That shows that you can ride over things. Potholes and bumps are fine as long as the pothole isn't so big that your front wheel gets caught in it, and the bump not so large as to hit the bottom of the bike.

The seesaw is getting close to stunting.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
DDS: Thanks :)
There's a massive fail on our side with rider training, and riding in general. Guys are dying in droves, and nobody is doing a damned thing. I think i'd like to have some learners to train privately (eventually i'd love to do that full time), but now it's just about getting the riders to meet each other, and share good ideas and habits. Neither the govt, bike shops, bike clubs nor any of the private organisations that exist are doing anything, it's up to ourselves to care for our fellow riders.

DownRangeFuture: I'm with you on the seesaw, too much for now, but since i don't have an incline, i want to look at options to build something small, but only in the future :)

tejkowskit: What on earth does your nickname mean? :D
Thank you So much for that link, it's EXACTLY what i need, printed out already, you can be sure i'll be implementing some of that in my plans!!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i cant help you much, but here in malta its the same thing, no rider training just a course and some street riding with an instructor to get the licence. they teach you the signs of the road but rarely they delve into countersteering, how to brake for corners, how to look through the turn and how to tackle corners. i had a wish to start something but you have to rent space here and its expensive and since we do not have decent instructors i think it would fail, besides im not a good speaker so i dont convey my thoughts well.

i wish you all the luck in this truly educational 'course' of yours

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
turbid: my grandad was from malta :D
Sorry to hear about the difficulties getting training there, although i wouldn't think the roads there dangerous? Improving your skills is easy, if you focus on the simple things, like weaving and braking. How many scooters are on Malta?

Ok, go to http://www.thewildcard.co.za/course.pdf to see what i've done with a fairly small peice of parking. I'm keeping it simple ... would you guys want to do this course?

Last edited: