The great Yamaha con, where have all me horses gone?

What power is your engine

• 2004 FZ6

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • 2005 FZ6

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • 2006 FZ6

Votes: 45 28.8%
  • 2007 FZ6

Votes: 37 23.7%
  • 2007 FZ6 S2

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • 72Kw 98 Ps

Votes: 26 16.7%
  • 56 kw 78 Ps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ninja 250 so powers not a problem

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • FZ6 33 Kw (restricted) 56 Kw 78 Ps

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • FZ6 33 Kw (restricted) 56 Kw 78 Ps

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer / ABS 57kw = 78Ps
2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 72 kw = 98Ps

Yamaha launches two new versions of the FZ6 Fazer at Intermot - Dailymotos.co.uk This article would support this claim of two different engine power ratings.

Are yamaha reducing the power of the good old FZ6s just to boost sales of the S2?
So there I was, all getting paranoid, have I got the slow one. How do you check with out a dyno.
So I checked the good old VIN document (in the uk we have a vehicle registration document) It lists year of reg and first reg. Vechicle number ect.
Importantly it also displays the power output. Mine said 72Kw thank god.
So guys I was just wondering if you would check your docs and see if we all read the same. I dont know what the fellas over the pond will do to check their power or the guys n girls in Europe I would be very interested to know.

Last edited:

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Oops...

I think I just ruined your poll (Oh! It was a multiple choice poll. Well, who would have guessed.And meant for UK members. D'oh! ) Sorry. Edit if you can.

Anyway. I was going to say that my '05 has 72 kw. That was the only model there was that time. The power output is specified in the vehicle registration document. And I have the feeling that it was mentioned along with other identification numbers in a plate which is fastened to the front of the bikes frame. Not sure of this one though.

I'm just wondering what's the point in these different models with different power outputs?

W

wrightme43

Mine a US model.
We have only one model, with the fairing, and 98 horse power. 78 hp would still be pretty dang fast.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I just ruined your poll (Oh! It was a multiple choice poll. Well, who would have guessed.And meant for UK members. D'oh! ) Sorry. Edit if you can.

Anyway. I was going to say that my '05 has 72 kw. That was the only model there was that time. The power output is specified in the vehicle registration document. And I have the feeling that it was mentioned along with other identification numbers in a plate which is fastened to the front of the bikes frame. Not sure of this one though.

I'm just wondering what's the point in these different models with different power outputs?
Hi Bren, long time no hear. Happy New Year, Its not specifically for UK members so no worries. I was just trying to see if anyone has been shafted on the power issue.
Neil

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was talking to my dealer the other day and he said he had never had or seen the lower powered version.

I think, just a guess, they are designed to take on the Honda CBF600 (new version just launching) which is popular in Germany.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine a US model.
We have only one model, with the fairing, and 98 horse power. 78 hp would still be pretty dang fast.
How long have I been using this forum:mad::surrender::banghead: I have only just twigged that you don't get the naked. That seems so strange as a lot of US bikes are naked. How do you know you got all the ponies steve? is it on the frame or the reg document?
Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i greatly enjoy the Ninja 250 option.... I predict 1 vote and i will know who it came from =)
Mate in this Politically correct world we have to cater for one and all. Who knows one day the US may even get a female president or a black one or a black female one lol.

W

wrightme43

How long have I been using this forum:mad::surrender::banghead: I have only just twigged that you don't get the naked. That seems so strange as a lot of US bikes are naked. How do you know you got all the ponies steve? is it on the frame or the reg document?
Neil

Its the only one imported into the US. It has to have 98 hp or Yamaha is lying and that would be silly since they have a great deal of consumer trust built up.

You guys over in the UK and Europe get all the cool bikes. Seriously. We get crazy CC monsters, Cruisers, and Sport bikes. Very few of the commuter, or just plain riding bikes. The FZ6, SV650, and Honda whatever it is called are about as close it gets to a plain bike for riding everywhere.

If you go around a look at the bikes, its rare to find one that is riden. Most of them have very very very low miles, tires that never see any lean angle. Lowered, with lots of aftermarket stuff, but no miles.

I mean 2005 bikes with less than 2000 miles on them. WTF Over?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its the only one imported into the US. It has to have 98 hp or Yamaha is lying and that would be silly since they have a great deal of consumer trust built up.

You guys over in the UK and Europe get all the cool bikes. Seriously. We get crazy CC monsters, Cruisers, and Sport bikes. Very few of the commuter, or just plain riding bikes. The FZ6, SV650, and Honda whatever it is called are about as close it gets to a plain bike for riding everywhere.

If you go around a look at the bikes, its rare to find one that is riden. Most of them have very very very low miles, tires that never see any lean angle. Lowered, with lots of aftermarket stuff, but no miles.

I mean 2005 bikes with less than 2000 miles on them. WTF Over?
Now if I had a few pennies in the bank I could see a lucrative (spelling?) inport business on low milage no rust bikes. We use MPH the instructions are in English. Now where did I put that wining lottery ticket..........

jimcisme

Reaction score
Visit site

I have really been wondering about this since I bought my FZS6WR. I've looked all over and cant seem to find this info, did you read it somewhere or did a dealer tell you or what?

Jim

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have really been wondering about this since I bought my FZS6WR. I've looked all over and cant seem to find this info, did you read it somewhere or did a dealer tell you or what?

Jim

They get tested by US bike magazine and put to the test on the track etc. by consumers...we would know. They also get tested by consumers who add pipes and PCIIIs blah blah.

EDIT - what is an FZS6WR?
________
Paduska live

Last edited:

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer / ABS 57kw = 78Ps
2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 72 kw = 98Ps

Yamaha launches two new versions of the FZ6 Fazer at Intermot - Dailymotos.co.uk This article would support this claim of two different engine power ratings.

Are yamaha reducing the power of the good old FZ6s just to boost sales of the S2?
So there I was, all getting paranoid, have I got the slow one. How do you check with out a dyno.
So I checked the good old VIN document (in the uk we have a vehicle registration document) It lists year of reg and first reg. Vechicle number ect.
Importantly it also displays the power output. Mine said 72Kw thank god.
So guys I was just wondering if you would check your docs and see if we all read the same. I dont know what the fellas over the pond will do to check their power or the guys n girls in Europe I would be very interested to know.

I have just looked at my registration certificate and cant find the kw should it be listed under Q:confused: forgot to say mines an 2005 fz6

jimcisme

Reaction score
Visit site
They get tested by US bike magazine and put to the test on the track etc. by consumers...we would know. They also get tested by consumers who add pipes and PCIIIs blah blah.

EDIT - what is an FZS6WR?

Thats what it says on the owners manual and the service manual FZS6W(C), and on my sales contract FZS6WR.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Castrol R4 Sportbike motor oil which claims to increase horsepower, so my bike is probably around 100 plus hp. ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just looked at my registration certificate and cant find the kw should it be listed under Q:confused: forgot to say mines an 2005 fz6
Hi Mate,

Its listed on the left hand side of the first page of the new type of reg document. Between the type approval number and the VIN /chassis/ frame number. Max. net power (Kw)

Last edited: