Stiff clutch

TheWes007

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my 04 fz6 a few weeks ago and the clutch lever is super stiff on it. I haven't had this issue with any of my other bikes so never needed to address it. Does anyone else have experience with this problem or have any advice on how to soften the pull on my clutch? Thanks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my 04 fz6 a few weeks ago and the clutch lever is super stiff on it. I haven't had this issue with any of my other bikes so never needed to address it. Does anyone else have experience with this problem or have any advice on how to soften the pull on my clutch? Thanks.

If the cable is worn (we don't know the mileage) a new cable would take care of things..

Most likely, the cable needs cleaning and lubing. If its "gooed up" inside, a cable pressure cleaned would likely be needed
to blow the goo out..

Amazon.com: Cable Lube Luber Lubricator Lubricant tool for Motorcycle Scooter Bike: Automotive

If its not goo'ed up and just dry, you can squirt some 30 wt oil down from the top of the cable.

Get it lubed, it'll be CONSIDERABLY better.

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I felt the same thing when I bought mine a bit over two years ago. Many folks here have the same comment and I believe it's normal for this bike. The pull on mine hasn't changed and I've gotten used to it.

Some guys say it is better to lube the cable. I haven't tried it but to me it doesn't feel like a drag, but more like just a strong spring.

A member on here, killernoodle, used to sell an improved lever, the one down at the case, that reduced the pull. Though every now and then people ask about them, he seems to have stopped logging in here. Once in a rare while you see one for sale when a guy sells his bike and pulls off the custom parts before the sale.

Again, I think it's normal for this bike. You'll get used to it. And then when you sit on another bike you'll be amazed at how light the clutch is.

Chris

edit: Or try the lube! :D

Last edited:

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently my 2007 with 2500 miles and have the same issue. Not sure if it is the tough spring or needs lube. Guess we will find out soon enough.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lube it with engine oil every 2500 miles and it's comparable to the effort of a hot knife through warm butter! If its crunchy, lube it A LOT!!! If it doesn't free up with time and vibes, replace it (like 15cc into the cable and 30" ride, it should pull easy)....

I've seen about 4 neglect FZ's and pulled their levers, they were crunchy and painful! Lube is the answer!

This works for me, a small teflon tube into a syringe, pop the cable loose, feed the tube past the 90° elbow giving it 4+ CC's and put the cable back in the lever...

0.033" OD Teflon tubing. ... Use a Commercial syringe w/a twist lock lure and you're set...
attachment.php

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its BASIC maintenance guys. Read your owners manual..

I'll give mine a quick shot of oil (with the needle posted above) maybe every second time I lube the chain (or it starts getting sticky).

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah Killernoodles clutch slave lever mod is well worth it if you can lay your hands on one, his quality of work is/was really good.
but a good lube is still the best way to maintain the cable itself. the mod simply altered the length of the engagement zone, didnt change the amount of total effort to pull the clutch.
the only other thing I would consider is levers with adjusment like Pazzos, and bring the engagement zone closer to the grip if you need it.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+++1 on lubing the cable. It is important to do, whether you have different levers, the Killernoodle arm, or anything. FinalImpact has a good method, if you can find the equipment easily.

I ended up purchasing this: EZ Glider Cable Lubrication. It is essentially the same thing and is easy to order. I have used it for 4 years now and to Final's point, it is too easy to overlook.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It takes like 5"... Twist thumb screw in leaving cable slot open/aligned, pull firmly on cable removing sheath from perch, align cable to lever slot and remove it. With no tension on the cable the 0.030" teflon tube slides completely around the cables 90° end and lube away....

Amazoo has industrial syringes for cheap. Grab a 10pack of non-medical grade with luer lok and some small luer lok nozzles...

Teflon I grabbed from old work... Might take some looking to find a replacement. But I scuffed the inside with a drill bit and super glued it to the luer tip... Fill with oil ans yer set!

Be sure to grease the cables ball into the lever. Assemble and adjust... Done

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! I'm purchasing this.

+++1 on lubing the cable. It is important to do, whether you have different levers, the Killernoodle arm, or anything. FinalImpact has a good method, if you can find the equipment easily.

I ended up purchasing this: EZ Glider Cable Lubrication. It is essentially the same thing and is easy to order. I have used it for 4 years now and to Final's point, it is too easy to overlook.

TheWes007

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try to lube it up first, and I've seen those modified slave levers I'm pretty sure I can fab one of those pretty easily I'll probably do that at some point. Thanks for the tips.