Speedometer off, but odometer is exactly right (calculations included)! Speedohealer?!

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Speedometer wrong, odometer is spot on (calculations included)! Speedohealer dilemma..

Alright, I installed a -1 front sprocket, and I love it. Consequently, I've placed an order for a Speedohealer to correct the speed error for the changed gearing, as well as the factory error.

I did some measurements with GPS, as well as some software on my phone just to make sure I'm getting consistent results by both devices.

Here are my results for the speedometer:

Legend:
X = indicated speed on the bike
Y = indicated speed on the GPS
100 * (X - Y) / X = percentage correction

100 * 18 / 140 = 12.85%
100 * 14 / 120 = 11.66%
100 * 11 / 100 = 11%
100 * 7 / 60 = 11.66%

Here are the results for the odometer:

Trip 1: 42.7 km (bike) / 39.73 km (google maps): 100 * 2.97 / 42.7 = 6.95%

Trip 2: 27.0 km (bike) / 25.24 km (google maps): 100 * 1.76 / 27.0 = 6.51%

Conclusion (for stock bikes):

The odometer seems to be absolutely accurate (with stock sprocket). Only the speedometer has the factory error.

Speedohealer:

When I get it and install it, will it correct only the speed, or both the speed and odometer odometer? I've read the vague language in the official feature description of the product, but I'm asking if somebody actually can tell me first hand!

Needless to say, I (and everyone else considering the Speedohealer) have a pretty nasty dilemma:

CHOICE BETWEEN correct speed & incorrect odometer OR incorrect speed & correct odometer :(

Last edited:

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I installed a -1 front sprocket, and I love it. Consequently, I've placed an order for a Speedohealer to correct the speed error for the changed gearing, as well as the factory error.

I did some measurements with GPS, as well as some software on my phone just to make sure I'm getting consistent results by both devices.

Here are my results for the speedometer:

Legend:
X = indicated speed on the bike
Y = indicated speed on the GPS
100 * (X - Y) / X = percentage correction

100 * 18 / 140 = 12.85%
100 * 14 / 120 = 11.66%
100 * 11 / 100 = 11%
100 * 7 / 60 = 11.66%

The odometer seems to be absolutely accurate (with stock sprocket). Only the speedometer has the factory error.

Speedohealer:

When I get it and install it, will it correct only the speed, or both the speed and odometer odometer? I've read the vague language in the official feature description of the product, but I'm asking if somebody actually can tell me first hand!

Needless to say, I (and everyone else considering the Speedohealer) have a pretty nasty dilemma:

CHOICE BETWEEN correct speed & incorrect odometer OR incorrect speed & correct odometer :(

Funny that you mention this. I went on a ride with my dad this weekend and noticed the same thing. I bought a speedodrd for my bike and installed it at -5% correction which was calculated by GPS. I felt like my speedo still read maybe a bit high but my odometer is definetly counting slow. I noticed this when I read 70.3 miles to my dad's 73.9 for the exact same trip when we stopped so he could get fuel. I reset the trip b at a mile marker and got 14.5 miles indicated for 15 mile markers - which is 3.3%, not the 5% that I programmed in for correction. I don't have an idea of how to help, but I can only say I have the same issue.

BTW I have a factory size gear and this mileage calculation is with the -5% correction.

So the only information I can offer you is perhaps the factory error only applies to the speedometer and not the odometer, HOWEVER when a speedo correction device is applied it then sacrifices the odometer reading to get a correct speedo reading. - pretty much what you said, but at least you know that it's not just you or the speedo healer brand.

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly correct. You have to pick one. I'm -1 on the front and set my SpeedoDRD to -11.1%. Speedo is close to correct, but now my odometer reads low. I'm wondering how many people are calculating their gas mileage using the low reading odometer, and thinking they're getting worse than they actually are.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Our bikes take the speed and mileage from the same source so when you correct one it throws the other out,just the way it is.

Also , with the high speed recall button,every time you press it the miles/kms will advance by 1/10th.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
That's exactly correct. You have to pick one. I'm -1 on the front and set my SpeedoDRD to -11.1%. Speedo is close to correct, but now my odometer reads low. I'm wondering how many people are calculating their gas mileage using the low reading odometer, and thinking they're getting worse than they actually are.

Funny you should ask. I installed my SpeedoDRD on a full tank of gas. The next time I filled up I noticed I only got 45 MPG instead of the 48 I normally get. For the next hour I was trying to figure out WTF I did to get worse mileage, then it hit me - the odometer is now off. I have it set to 7%, so adding 7% to the 45 MPG brings me back to 48 :)

If I had an extra cluster, I think it would be interesting to try to reprogram the PROM. It has to be built in to the programming since the odometer is accurate on the stock setup. Guess they do that to keep riders going a little closer to the speed limit :thumbup:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry,the speedo healer comes with a speed recall button,it will advance the mileage by 1/10th everytime its pressed.

Sorry, do you mean that when you do a top speed recall, the mileage increases 1/10 of a mile (pressing it 10 times will add 1 mile or something like that?)

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Speedometer wrong, odometer is spot on (calculations included)! Speedohealer dilemma..

I haven't done a true test to verify this, but I don't put that much faith in google maps mileage calculations. I'm sure it's close for most peoples use, but I doubt it's accurate enough to use for precission calibration. Your GPS should track mileage also, I think it would be more accurate to compare your Odo to the GPS's indicated mileage in the trip log. Comparing your Odo to an Odo in a different vehicle isn't much better either,,,, it could (probably does) have an error of it's own.

Here are my thoughts on it: Since both speedo and Odo use the same input, it would be a pretty sorry engineering jod if one had a different calibration then the other. I think the OEM engineers are better then that.

I'm not saying your results are wrong but you really need a more accurate base line for comparison.

Speedohealer:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Re: Speedometer wrong, odometer is spot on (calculations included)! Speedohealer dilemma..

I haven't done a true test to verify this, but I don't put that much faith in google maps mileage calculations. I'm sure it's close for most peoples use, but I doubt it's accurate enough to use for precission calibration. Your GPS should track mileage also, I think it would be more accurate to compare your Odo to the GPS's indicated mileage in the trip log. Comparing your Odo to an Odo in a different vehicle isn't much better either,,,, it could (probably does) have an error of it's own.

Here are my thoughts on it: Since both speedo and Odo use the same input, it would be a pretty sorry engineering jod if one had a different calibration then the other. I think the OEM engineers are better then that.

I'm not saying your results are wrong but you really need a more accurate base line for comparison.

The OEM almost certainly intended to have the error between the speedometer and the odometer.

Japanese bikes have had speedometer error for decades. Just because it's all digital now instead of analog, they simply programmed in the error for bragging rights. The odometer must read accurately by law. It's 'dead on balls accurate'.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

The OEM almost certainly intended to have the error between the speedometer and the odometer.

Japanese bikes have had speedometer error for decades. Just because it's all digital now instead of analog, they simply programmed in the error for bragging rights. The odometer must read accurately by law. It's 'dead on balls accurate'.

I've often wondered why so many bikes have error in the speedometer. Cars seem very close or right on. I always thought maybe it's a psychological process of getting you 5 MPH slower @ around 50 MPH than you think your going. Even if you know it's off, at a glance, your subconscious will maybe register the errored display and you will tend to ride slower? :rolleyes:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I personally made my choice: installed the Speedohealer and set it to -11.1%. The speedometer now is really dead on balls. Went on a long trip, odo shows about -5% from real distance now (as measured with GPS distance travelled).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I personally made my choice: installed the Speedohealer and set it to -11.1%. The speedometer now is really dead on balls. Went on a long trip, odo shows about -5% from real distance now (as measured with GPS distance travelled).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

+1 exactly.