Service (what and when)

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know whether this is the right place to post,please move it to the one if not.

Some of you might already know i only recently (3 months) got a 2007 FZ6S. Before me there was a single owner who bought this in Nov 2008 i have the service book which says he has only one record (receipt actually) which says he has done 12 K service (assuming it is 13 K service)below is the receipt
Servicereceipt_zps2aa12cc9.png

in last three months i am using the bike for commutes pretty much each day and i have done fair-bit or Km. Current Odometer reading is 15100. 5000 Km after the service roughly

I am little confused whether to change oil now or wait until 6000 according to people on the forum or 10000 according to manual. or is this has to be changed annually even though the no km has not reached. Oil in the engine still looks OK though.

Does anyone do anything else other than change oil and oil filter? Manual list whole bunch of things to be checked do those needs to be done too?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
An oil change at 6000, or 10000? Pretty sure it calls for a change every 3000, but I don't have the manual here.
I change it every 2000 tho, with a filter each time. Lube the chain often, and especially if you ride in the rain.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil should be changed every 3k miles. The best thing to get is a Haynes manual. It covers maintence, repair, and service schedules.:thumbup:

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks FrozenBiker,

My manual says every 10000km. filter every other. But when i downloaded a pdf copy of manual it says 6000km ( I think it is US copy).Do we have different bike here in Australia? also it does not give a time interval only Km intervals.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
My rule of thumb is change it when you buy it, no matter what receipts you have from the PO, it always gives you a bit more peace of mind.

Starting the season, (assuming I changed it at the end of the previous season) I'll keep track of miles and mind the riding conditions that I've put on it, 3k miles if it's been rough, ~5k if they've been easier and I'll change it. If it's near the end of the season I may wait a bit and just do one change then. But yeah, regardless of miles I'd say change it at least once a year. It's cheap and really easy to do if you have any mechanical skills.

It's just like a deep fryer - you wouldn't want that nasty oil sitting around in there for very long. :rolleyes:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
My manual (also Australian) says every 10000 kms. I assume FrozenBiker is talking in miles, not kms.

I have always preferred to service my bikes every 6000 kms or at least once a year if not using it much.

To keep things healthy and safe, I also like to have the cables lubed/adjusted, pivot point and side stand greased, tyres and wheels inspected for damage, charging system inspected, chain tension inspected, chassis bolts torqued to spec, brake pads inspected... this is why I take it to a mechanic.

After servicing the bike like this it feels tight and runs well. You could leave it until 10000 I guess but bikes like this are performance vehicles and it's nice to have them running in top condition. Also, using the bike for commuting will warrant more frequent servicing than if using it for highway/back road miles.

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My owners manual (US version) lists changing oil every 4000miles or 6000km which doesn't exactly match a conversion (4000mi = 6437km). I like to do the oil change at 3000-3500miles, as I use conventional (dino) oil. Remember the oil in the motorcycle not only lubricates the engine but also gets chewed between every gear in the gearbox constantly and is in the clutch so its in a harsh environment.

I also do filter changes at every oil change, not sure what's behind the two oil changes to a filter change recommended by yamaha. My reasoning is, you change your car filter at every oil change so why not the bike. Sometimes I don't get the service intervals and feel its cheap insurance for the engine.

I also do an oil change at the end of the season and check for water (vial drain plug) when I take out from from storage in the spring. I have never seen any water and so I run it when I take it out of storage with the same oil. A little moisture will evaporate from the oil when it reaches operating temperature and escape through the crank breather tube.

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
My manual (also Australian) says every 10000 kms. I assume FrozenBiker is talking in miles, not kms.

I have always preferred to service my bikes every 6000 kms or at least once a year if not using it much.

To keep things healthy and safe, I also like to have the cables lubed/adjusted, pivot point and side stand greased, tyres and wheels inspected for damage, charging system inspected, chain tension inspected, chassis bolts torqued to spec, brake pads inspected... this is why I take it to a mechanic.

After servicing the bike like this it feels tight and runs well. You could leave it until 10000 I guess but bikes like this are performance vehicles and it's nice to have them running in top condition. Also, using the bike for commuting will warrant more frequent servicing than if using it for highway/back road miles.

Daniel_Aus I was thinking of doing the oil change at 6000 km too but when i checked my manual i got confused why every one on this forum does way too earlier than that.

What do you get charged when you get the bike serviced?