Seeking advice - First Street Bike for an experienced rider in Vancouver

datawiz2012

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow BC riders,

I have been riding for more than 15 years but have always been on cruisers. I am looking for my first street bike and have narrowed down my options to Versys and FZ6. Can you please advise how well does the FZ6 handle in city traffic and highway (both are part of my daily commute to work). I have only sat on an FZ6 and haven't test ridden one yet and therefore am a bit concerned about the agilty and nimbleness of the bike in stop and go traffic. I don't have a very good back.

Is there any performance difference between the 2008 and 2009 FZ6 (I am not interested the R model). A local dealer said that the buzzy engine of 2008 was rectified in 2009. I didn't buy that claim especially for an extra $1500 out the door.

I don't do touring at all - maybe some weekend fun but 90% of the time will be commuting. I have been on cruisers as big as 1100 CC. Hopefully, I wouldn't find any lack of power or torque on fz6.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is pretty nibble and agile in city traffic... compared to any cruiser, you will see a BIG improvement in that area.

'08 or '09 makes little difference. Go with the cheaper...

The FZ6 is not known for its torque figures, but you shouldn't be disappointed compared to a cruiser (cruiser may have more torque, but they're also a LOT heavier than the FZ).

I personally decided to stay away from I4 600s for the streets because they're just not practical IMHO (super high rpm range with all the power on top, which you really can't enjoy for obvious reasons, especially if you mainly commute)... but that's a question of tastes more than anything else...

Good luck.

Last edited:

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Welcome to the forum.
You will not be disappointed with a FZ6. I commute on my FZ every day. No problem in traffic. Good riding position. I had a Suzuki SV650s before. After some time on it I would have a pain in my wrist. I have never had that on the FZ. I have never been on the Kawa so I cannot give you feedback on that.
You should test both and get what you like. I will go with the FZ on looks. I think the Kawa is more like the Suzuki V-strom than the FZ.

Shop around...there are a number of FZ's on Craigslist.

BCFZRider

Reaction score
www.iwc-solutions.com
I commute on my FZ6 daily, my only complaint is my 15KM country road trip is too short, and all straight lines!

The chassis is very nimble in traffic, but I have to comment that I find sometimes the out-of-corner acceleration can be missing if you don't drop gears. I've noticed that you need to find the sweetspot for corners and speeds though as well. If you are going too fast for 2nd, but too slow to brake and accelerate for 3rd, you are going to lug a bit coming out.... Mind you I'm a big guy.... more load to haul back up to speed.

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
i commute on my 06 fz6 all day , every day , it is my only means of transportation, because i dont have a car. but what i can tell you is i have have ridden a 2003 honda cbr600rr, 2007 suzuki gsxr 600, 2000 gsxr1000, 2010 zx10r, 2010 zx6r, and my first bike a 1999 suzuki gs500, and the fz6 stacks up real well against any other bike on the road. the fz6 is perfect for commuting, and it has alot more power than the versys. and if you add an exhaust to the fz6 it is going to sound amazing, and it also has some neat features like hazard lights, fuel gauge, 5 gallon tank:welcome:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I commute daily in Boston on the FZ6. It is nimble enough and was the main reason I chose it over a gSX650F I was considering. Versys was too tall for me coming from a Ninja 500. That being said, besides engine they are similar in that both have a 5 gallon gas tank, fuel gauge no exhaust sticking on the side, fairly upright riding position. While the FZ6 has much more power at the rear wheel (85hp against around 60hp) most of it is at the upper rev range and is not useful in city commuting. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty of power and is enough for even two up riding which I do with my wife in the city. But, I bet if you overlay the torque curves of the two you'll see the versys has more torque in most usable situations (not by a whole lot). Yamaha workmanship is excellent - Kawasaki not as good. Still,, both will be reliable. Many more Fazers around to test ride or get used compared to Versys. I think the new Versys should be less buzzy. Either way, good choices for commuters! I lane split with standing traffic and the Fazer is narrow (have a trunk)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I drove 40 miles one way to work for 23,000 miles on an FZ6.

I did the same on the bike before that, a Suzuki VZ800C through 43,000 miles.

Ergos on the FZ were much better, and that 5 gallon tank makes a HUGE difference. That, plus all that extra 'zip'.... stomps the beans out of any cruiser out there, in my view.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The versys is a much more dangerous motorcycle. Be sure you have your life insurance payments up to date if you go with the versys. Falling asleep while operating a motor vehicle poses a significant health risk.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
08 buzzy? Mine isn't. He might just be trying to sell you what he has on the floor.

If you change from the stock bars on the 08 to say FZ1 or Rizoma bars, it will be the perfect commuter, whilst not losing any fun factor for the weekend. :D

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
I commute on mine everyday. Getting rid of my car was my best financialy decision ever. I took a 4000 mile roadtrip on it. I even ride to my hockey games(gear and all) on it. Ergonomics are fine. Power level is all fine. It's an all around good time.

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
I have put about 4,000 miles on my '06 FZ6 in the past year. The majority of the miles have been put on during my commute to work (in traffic). IMHO, the FZ6 is a great commuter bike! I like keeping the revs pretty high while in stop and go traffic so there is less shifting, and I can use engine braking to slow me down. As far as torque/power go, the FZ has PLENTY. Have fun shopping for your new ride...
Rob

Curvesahead21

Reaction score
Visit site
I am coming up on 40,000 on my 05 - quite a bit has been some pretty amazing touring. But since I've come to Van. this last year - got rid of the cage and it's only two wheels for me. Commute to work every day rain or shine. No complaints. Time for new sproket and chain, so thinking of taking out a tooth which will change up my gearing a bit as I do notice that my power band doesn't hit till I am quite high on the RPM's side of things. But do try to test ride before you buy. and :welcome: