sealant or glue fir head gasket

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Im checking my valves this weekend and got a new gasket for the head

is there a specific type of sealant or glue I use to set this into the head before I put the head back onto the motor?

Should I put a trace of engine oil on the gasket before setting it on the motor?

thanks!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am assuming you are referring to the valve cover gasket.

I just did mine as well (2nd time in 4 years) and I SWORE I would not use any RTV to hold the new gasket to the valve cover. All I did was leave the gasket in the sun for a while to soften it and get it to relax from the shape it adopted in the bag.

Unfortunately the way you have to contort the valve cover during installation, the gasket kept getting knocked out of the groove in the cover. So....... out came the RTV! I hate using that stuff, because once it cures it is possible to have flakes come off and clog oil passages in the motor. When I do use it, I use just a little, a small dab every couple of inches. Press the gasket into the groove and let it set. Then prior to installing the cover, I clean up any RTV that sticks out from the gasket.

Once the RTV has set, installing the cover is much easier.

Hope this helps.

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
yah I made a mistake youre right i meant the valve cover gasket. I was just at the dealership to pick up 2 shims and asked them about it. They said put a VERY thin coat of Yamabond 4 to the cover+gasket interface just to keep it in place so its not falling off when trying to reassemble

They said put no oil or lubricant at the interface between the block and the gasket