Rear Turn Signals Not Working

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
My rear turn signals on my FZ6 stopped working. I am not sure what happened. The front turn signals work and the rear running/brake lights work. The rear turn signals were replaced which some I purchased off ebay a while back. They are not LED but when I installed them I did noticed the turn signals front/back flashing faster and knew I could replace the relay but didn't really mind. About a week or so ago one of the rear signals came loose and was dangling but as it seemed just fine I glued it back to the stem but that is when I noticed it wasn't working. From my brief research it seems if it was a fuse it should affect more than just the rear turn signals. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
My rear turn signals on my FZ6 stopped working. I am not sure what happened. The front turn signals work and the rear running/brake lights work. The rear turn signals were replaced which some I purchased off ebay a while back. They are not LED but when I installed them I did noticed the turn signals front/back flashing faster and knew I could replace the relay but didn't really mind. About a week or so ago one of the rear signals came loose and was dangling but as it seemed just fine I glued it back to the stem but that is when I noticed it wasn't working. From my brief research it seems if it was a fuse it should affect more than just the rear turn signals. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

One of my rears, LED, stopped working a week ago, I too didn't installed the flashers. I have another pair of LED ones, I will try tomorrow night.
I'm interested in this post too.

Last edited:

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the rears do anything with the hazard switch on and do the dash indicators work? Check your wiring, looking at the schematic the fronts and rears use the same wires coming off of the switch. There is then a tie point where the wires tee off and go to the back lights. If the fronts are good and the backs aren't it's an issue between that tie point and the lights. More than likely a loose connector or improper wire routing causing them to get cut or something. As far as the fuse, you are correct. The fuse for the rear turn signals runs the front and running lights also, so none of those would work if the fuse was blown.

This is off of an 07+ schematic, not sure what year yours is and if the older ones are different. You can also check the grounds. Diagram shows them as using separate grounds, but I haven't looked on my bike so I'm not sure where they're grounded at. If they're using the same ground and its loose, or if wherever they're grounded at doesn't have a good connection to the frame they wont work.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is 05. With hazards they dont work either. All guage lights work, front turn signals work and rear running and brake light work. Just no rear turn signals.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a common fuse and a common flasher relay so not there. It looks like each rear flasher is grounded separately, so your problem would require the simultaneous failure of 2 independent grounds. Highly unlikely. But then I recalled that they are not factory, so the wiring was touched and or changed. Check the ground to each rear flasher bulb.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tail lights all tie in (lug in) under the left side pod (just under the left side of the seat). I would check wires / connectors there.

I believe its an odd shaped 3 wire plug. Check to see if you have power to that socket.

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this same thing happen on my 08.

Just changed the fuse... there's one for the rear turn signals, another just labelled something like "rear" I think, which is the one that needed changing. It didn't really make sense, because if the rear brake light's working, that fuse shouldn't theoretically have any effect on the rear turn signals, but somehow it did. Anyway it's worth giving it a try... easy fix if it works!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had this same thing happen on my 08.

Just changed the fuse... there's one for the rear turn signals, another just labelled something like "rear" I think, which is the one that needed changing. It didn't really make sense, because if the rear brake light's working, that fuse shouldn't theoretically have any effect on the rear turn signals, but somehow it did. Anyway it's worth giving it a try... easy fix if it works!

It can get confusing... The brake light circuit and the horn are on the same fuse. The running light circuit, which includes one of two filaments in the tail light bulb and the flashers are on the same fuse. You have 2 filaments in the tail lamp bulb. One filament (running light) is on the running light/ flasher fused circuit. The other filament in the tail lamp (brake light) runs off the brake light/horn fuse. So you have 2 separate fuses that can effect what is happening in the tail lamp bulb. Those 2 separate fuses also feed the the horn and flasher relay circuit. If you have a working horn but no tail light you know the fuse is good for the tail light and visa versa. If you have running lights but no flasher operation you know the fuse is good and visa versa.

There probably is a broken/disconnected wire/s at the turn signal lamp assembly/s. Grab a 12 volt probe test light. put the 4 way flasher on and find where th signal is lost.

Here's some info I've posted from another thread. It includes original color codes for the wiring of directionals. The tail/brake light filament is a yellow wire and running tail light should be blue.

These colors apply to all FZ6 S1 and S2 models.

Left front turn signal with running light. That's two filament per bulb in the front.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue with a red tracer colored wire= running light filament.
Black wire= Ground or negative.

Right front turn signal with running light.
Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue colored wire= running light filament.

Left rear turn signal.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.

Right rear turn signal.

Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel so stupid. It was the wires came apart so I am redoing them now and at some point will solder them together. Now I have to back to riding without hand signals. They were such much fun guessing if anyone knew what the hell I was frailing about...

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my rear-left failed, thought it is the turn signal, but I tried with another set and the RR side still doesn't work.
I think I screwed-up the actual connection from the brake light, need to take stuff apart to fix it.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
A guy I work with has a similar one. His does five flashes then steady as opposed to the 4/4 steady. He's got a gsxr1000 though and I believe his brake lights are led. His lights are all crazy though. Has no front/rear turn signals, has a separate switch that he can use to turn off his headlights and f/r running lights, and a stealth switch that kills every light on the bike.

The one you linked to says it controls led lights, not sure how it would work with halogens.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As our bikes have ONLY ONE brake /tail light, I went with Hyperlights combo brake running lights LED.

Much more expensive BUT should your brake/running light burn out, you still have the Hyperlight and NOW TWO, full time running lights.

BTW, the Hyperlights are MUCH brighter (running and brake) than the OEM bulb.

I have a single element mounted just above my tag;

Excellent customer service BTW. I had a couple of LEDs fail after 4 or 5 years.(way beyond warranty). They had a new LED in the mail, free, no questions asked...

thisisdylan

Reaction score
Visit site
piggybacking this thread too. installing the LED plate light and blinkers for the fender eliminator and they stopped working.
at one point i had the left blinker and plate light working fine. hadn't hooked up the right blinker yet. front blinkers are still OEM and dont blink anymore either. the wiring looks pretty simple to hook up.

here's what i got right now. from bottom to top, it's left blinker, plate light, and right blinker.
2015-10-27 15.53.48.jpg

i'll get the fairing off soon to install the front LEDs, but i haven't attempted to remove it yet. hopefully this thread is enough, but the pics are gone
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/14783-how-remove-your-fairing.html

thisisdylan

Reaction score
Visit site
haha no not yet. i have one from superbrightleds sitting right next to me. i thought something went wrong since it managed to blink with the OEM relay, but now it won't. it made me think of returning it because i liked the faster frequency.
i guess i'll get that fairing off now if the relay's the problem. hope the instructions alone from that thread i linked will do the trick.
i was not looking forward to troubleshooting 12 different bullet connectors.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
haha no not yet. i have one from superbrightleds sitting right next to me. i thought something went wrong since it managed to blink with the OEM relay, but now it won't. it made me think of returning it because i liked the faster frequency.
i guess i'll get that fairing off now if the relay's the problem. hope the instructions alone from that thread i linked will do the trick.
i was not looking forward to troubleshooting 12 different bullet connectors.

The LED flasher doesn't need the higher current load (with standard bulbs) to flash.

If wired correctly, that should solve your issue...

I meant to type flasher in the above post.

Part #33; Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram

thisisdylan

Reaction score
Visit site
The LED flasher doesn't need the higher current load (with standard bulbs) to flash.

If wired correctly, that should solve your issue...

I meant to type flasher in the above post.

Part #33; Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram
thanks townsends. i'm going to be doing full LED blinkers so the issue of using front bulbs with back LED is no big deal. i liked the fast blink rate, but i'll use the LED relay since it's necessary.

took a while but i got the whole front fairing off. it was the only way i could work the oem blinkers out of their rubber keepers. my LED blinkers only have 2 wires, so i looked it up and connected it properly, avoiding the running light wire.

left ground - black
left signal - brown
left running - blue
right ground - black
right signal - green
right running blue

i also popped in the new relay. on the 2006 it's on the left side inside the fairing by the harness connectors, and i have zero blinkers or plate light. the little microcontroller under the seat keeps giving me red light, then green, which i can imagine means something is still wrong. not sure where to turn now that everything is connected securely and to the proper wires on the harness. what could i troubleshoot before having to redo the connectors one at a time? because that would be a huge headache.
my horn is working so it's not the fuse...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re-read post #8 by Motogiro.

He's got it written out pretty clearly.

We are talking about the flasher, not the relay (I don't know if it even has one) but the flasher I believe is under the left side pod

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re-read post #8 by Motogiro.

He's got it written out pretty clearly.

We are talking about the flasher, not the relay (I don't know if it even has one) but the flasher I believe is under the left side pod

[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]
Exactly..Flasher relay is sometimes what some of us call it. There is no separate relay. Its all one unit. Some people also think there is a separate flasher for the 4 ways but one flasher takes care of turn signals and 4 ways.:)

Sent from Moto's Motorola