Rear Tire Cush Rubber Damper

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to a tire shop today to change the blown out rear tire. I put on a new pirelli diablo rosso 2 tire. Tire guy said that the cush rubbers need to change soon, i took a closer look and saw that the joints in between, were ruptered. (Bike has 35k kilometres)
Just right after the installation, i smelled some rubber plastic smell on the road then stopped in a gas station to check but couldn't find where it came from. Then i checked the tire pressure and it was 42psi don't know why.
I set it to 36psi and rode to home. No smell after that.

One year ago, an other tire guy has forgotten to put the pipe type inner spacer and the collar while he was reparing the rear tire. I had to change rear wheel bearings after a 300km trip without those parts.

May be that was the cause the cush rubbers seem not ok.
What do you think.
Sorry that i didn't take any photos.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Get an accurate digital tire gauge. The 42 psi might have been a result of setting the bead on the tire and the worker didn't remove the extra air and check the tire. This is typical of most service that's done with regard to tires. If they had the wheel off, check for alignment and proper chain slack because that will probably be off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That 42lbs is what might be imprinted on the side of the tire, thus he left it there. (I keep mine at the max on the tire, as it falls inside the guide lines for the weight of the rider and gear)

If you lowered it while the tire was still warm, I'd re-check it COLD as it would have changed.

Aydin, if you've had the rear tire off previously, you may want to pull it again and re-check everything.

I'd especially look at the chain tension, that its NOT to tight..

And +1 on Cliffs recommendation on the digital pressure gauge. Mine goes accurate to the HALF POUND, extremly accurate. I replaced the battery once in probably 4-5 years.

Last edited:

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
So the digital pressure guages are good? I am a fuss budget about my air pressure, checking before every ride. I worry more about consistency then accuracy. And one ALWAYS goes with what is on the tire. Factory spec is for factory (OEM) tires. I suspect the OEM tires for my bike became sandals long ago.
How portable are the digital guages? I saw one at Cycle Gear for 14.95 that was easy to read and looked like it would fit better then my tube type tire guage. It had a hose to kook up to the valve stem. Way to big for my shirt pocket or shoving under the seat.
If I'm sitting long enough for the tire to cool down, it's time to check the pressure again.Blah

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm pretty sure the number on the tire is the maximum amount of pressure not the recommended pressure. Most tire manufacture state to use the motorcycle manufactures recommended tire pressure and not to exceed the pressure printed on the tire.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So the digital pressure guages are good? I am a fuss budget about my air pressure, checking before every ride. I worry more about consistency then accuracy. And one ALWAYS goes with what is on the tire. Factory spec is for factory (OEM) tires. I suspect the OEM tires for my bike became sandals long ago.
How portable are the digital guages? I saw one at Cycle Gear for 14.95 that was easy to read and looked like it would fit better then my tube type tire guage. It had a hose to kook up to the valve stem. Way to big for my shirt pocket or shoving under the seat.
If I'm sitting long enough for the tire to cool down, it's time to check the pressure again.Blah

Its definitly bigger that the pencil type(pencil would be good to keep on the bike), but for in the garage, this is exactly what I have however its pretty beat up and still works great!

And yes, MUCH more accurate.. The below one fits the FZ wheels ok, (stock valves) just have to get the angle right but NO hoses, etc..

Accutire MS 4710B Motorcycle Tire Pressure Gauge

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the number on the tire is the maximum amount of pressure not the recommended pressure. Most tire manufacture state to use the motorcycle manufactures recommended tire pressure and not to exceed the pressure printed on the tire.

^^ Agreed! The tire has many applications and running the max pressure is compromising traction unless the bike is fully loaded down to max capacity.

Digital Pocket gauages with a 45° angle fit just about anywhere. Check the temps cold and out of direct sunlight as it varies with carcass temperature.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI,

Depending on your weight/gear etc, that pressure is, depending on your size, is correct. Please check your owners manual;

(The max pressure for my PR2 and 3 (for my weight with gear-above 198 lbs total middle section on the below chart) is the same as what the manual calls for)...

For High Speed, lower it (again, see below);

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you like that rosso II rear, (because if you not, I blame myself to force you to buy that tyre) :)

Also, I don't think that rubber dampers makes burnt rubber smell. I'll check mines tomorrow, I think you should check yours and check for chain alignment and slack, too.

I'm looking forward to your bike's status/your forum posts. good luck and don't hesitate to request help from us :)

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Check under your front sprocket cover for the burning smell if you still have an OEM front sprocket. Mine had a bunch of built up crud under the cover that was rubbing the little rubber dampener ring on the stock sprocket. I killed 2 birds with one stone, cleaned the crud and replaced the sprocket with one minus the rubber ring.

If your rear sprocket carrier was loose when the other guy forgot a couple spacers, I could see that eating up the cush drives. But I agree that shouldn't cause a burning smell either way.