R1 Shock Install

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
To replace the spring you need a spring compressor that is the proper tool to use. The fz shock has a slit in the lower spring seat to slide it out after you compress the spring. So no need to unscrew the mount? I wil post a pic when I do it.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this:
A couple of posts saying its 300mm eye to eye fully extended. Now the collapsed number and if Moto Joe would kindly measure his spare and maybe take the spring off and collapse it, we'd be in the game.

PS - few other posts say is 320 mm eye (R1)

I'm in NC for a work/vaca at the moment....possibly tuesday or wednesday I can measure it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in NC for a work/vaca at the moment....possibly tuesday or wednesday I can measure it.

Thanks man!

So, i found some info and once compressed it slides off as the retainer is slotted. I just had to see it with my own eyes. fleebay is shippin stuff. Price is so low i got nothing to loose. If it doesn't work, well it doesn't work.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It will work. It is working great on my bike as we speak.

If you haven't, now spring for a set of these and Walla - transform!!!!
picture.php

They've been on the bike since Feb and like you, it was "the best money I ever spent!" It seriously transformed the bike making it what it should have been all along. Rough terrain off canter steering/braking is night and day improvement with the R6 forks.

Don't hesitate to do the FZ1 bars while you're at it. . .
picture.php

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To replace the spring you need a spring compressor that is the proper tool to use. The fz shock has a slit in the lower spring seat to slide it out after you compress the spring. So no need to unscrew the mount? I wil post a pic when I do it.

I know, I just didn't see the slot to remove it. Finally found a video. Shock is on order but I'll need the replacement bushing as I don't wish to push mine out.

Last edited:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Great job!

Great job guys!

I too just picked up a 2002 R1 shock from eBay (cheap!) and am looking forward to reading Ben_H's write up and hopefully seeing a video.

When the FZ6 shock mount on the frame is modified, does that mean that it can no longer be used with the FZ6 shock in case I wanted ( or needed ) to go back?

I have a hydraulic press, so I should be able to get the stuff apart and back together without too much trouble.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ It'll bolt right back in. The tray and the upper frame mount will be cut back some but you should be fine should the need to revert come into play.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys one other thing. If any of you have read some of my threads, you will know of my offer. Which still stands. I can do this swap at no charge. Bring your bike, parts and ARSE to my place, and I can do the swap in a few hours. Only other thing you will need is a bike spring compressor. Can pick them up cheap on amazon(like $20-50) Gona get one myself when I go heavier with the spring. Again guys. I work on fellow riders bikes NO CHARGE! My gift. Or I can walk you through it. Feel free to call or text. 484-343-2918. Yeah, my real number. Seems weird, its not. Read one of earlier threads. "my story, my gift"

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Guys one other thing. If any of you have read some of my threads, you will know of my offer. Which still stands. I can do this swap at no charge. Bring your bike, parts and ARSE to my place, and I can do the swap in a few hours. Only other thing you will need is a bike spring compressor. Can pick them up cheap on amazon(like $20-50) Gona get one myself when I go heavier with the spring. Again guys. I work on fellow riders bikes NO CHARGE! My gift. Or I can walk you through it. Feel free to call or text. 484-343-2918. Yeah, my real number. Seems weird, its not. Read one of earlier threads. "my story, my gift"

That's a great offer David. I just went and read your "my story, my gift" thread. Wow.

I'm close enough to take you up on the offer ( I live between Pottstown and Allentown ), but I love doing these things myself. I sure would like to sit on your bike and feel what the FZ1 bars are like though. :)

As for the spring compressor, I'm pretty sure that AutoZone still rents them for free with a deposit. I keep saying that I'm going to buy a hydraulic, wall mount spring compressor before I do another set of springs. It's always a bit scary when compressing the big springs on a car with those lame, screw type spring compressors. Hopefully motorcycle springs are a bit less scary....

Oh, my ebay seller says that my R1 shock has shipped, so that is good news.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. . . .

As for the spring compressor, I'm pretty sure that AutoZone still rents them for free with a deposit. I keep saying that I'm going to buy a hydraulic, wall mount spring compressor before I do another set of springs. It's always a bit scary when compressing the big springs on a car with those lame, screw type spring compressors. Hopefully motorcycle springs are a bit less scary....

If for some reason some of you decide to swap springs (even with the proper tools - aka spring compressor), it never hurts to run a cable through a coil or two just in case things get lively! On auto stuff a chain through the coils can keep it from going across the shop, these having tighter coils, well a cable would likely fit and give it enough mass to keep it from flying. Keep it in mind!

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
My R1 shock arrived

On Saturday, the mailman (actually mail-lady) left a box on my front porch and low and behold, my R1 shock was in there.

Now, to find time to do the install. I'd hate to lose valuable riding time as the season winds down, so I might just wait until winter.

Then again, if it really is a quick, one day project, I could give it a shot sooner. :)

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Hey FinalImpact, any progress on the R1 / FZ6 shock travel length issue you were talking about on your own thread?

I think you mentioned using part of the FZ6 shock on the R1 shock to get the adjustment amount the same.

I have no time to work on my bike at the moment, so I'll gladly wait for you to figure out the details. :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey FinalImpact, any progress on the R1 / FZ6 shock travel length issue you were talking about on your own thread?

I think you mentioned using part of the FZ6 shock on the R1 shock to get the adjustment amount the same.

I have no time to work on my bike at the moment, so I'll gladly wait for you to figure out the details. :D

Wise Cracker!!!! Me figure it out haha!

I have some GREAT NEWS, I'm going to spin it around so I don't have to chop chop the huger or the under-seat pan. A tiny wire loom metal tab stands in the way of rotating the reservoir towards the engine; well and moving the ECM bracket up about a 1/2". Other than that there appears to be NO invasive chopping of metal or plastic!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

As best I can tell the spring retainer swap will not fix the issue. The installed height of the spring lands (area where the spring sits) is 10mm shorter on the R1 shock. The distance we lack needs to come from the adjuster area as moving the retainer closer to the shocks end will make it collide with the swing arm and I don't want to hear that! THere are still a few options before NEW springs and machine shops come into play. :eek:

It picks up here. . . http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36842-somethin-black-2.html#post510194

R1 spun 180 in FZ. . . http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36842-somethin-black-2.html#post511569

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is GOOD news! Not much room in the under tray, but I do keep the tool kit, first aid kit, and my speedo healer there. The less I have to cut he better.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited: