Orlando/Florida Riding Rules and Tips?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a family holiday next week to Orlando (not sure exactly where we're staying, it was all booked by the inlaws). I'm thinking of hiring a big fat harley hog for a day or two, just to say I have.

Anything I should know in general about riding in Florida?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a family holiday next week to Orlando (not sure exactly where we're staying, it was all booked by the inlaws). I'm thinking of hiring a big fat harley hog for a day or two, just to say I have.

Anything I should know in general about riding in Florida?

Thanks for your help.

Eagle Rider is the company you will most likely be renting from. Harleys range from $120 to $150 for the day.

Helmet is not required in Florida if you're over 21 and have medical insurance of $10k. 99 out of 100 cruiser riders in FL do not wear helmets.. or any other gear.

The good news: there are loads of motorcyclists in FL, compared to many other states.. so car drivers are mostly used to sharing the road with bikes and tend to notice us relatively well.

*** Filtering is not allowed ***

FL is dead-flat and straight. There are no curves. Cruiser is the perfect way to go there.

Oh.. it's going to be very very hot and humid.. so at the very least I'd look into getting a cooling towel.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 with the above with a few exceptions.

We do have a few curves (not many) and in Orlando, its a tourist town, folks busy on summer vacation (ie not paying attention to anything else).

Its also our rainy season. HARD thunderstorms WILL pop up very quickly but also go away generally quickly.

Like anywhere else, ride like your invisable..

Have fun and be safe!!:thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Florida? In Vacation season?

Tips to stay alive:

1. Avoid out of state licensed vehicles

2. Avoid families in rental cars

3. Avoid senior citizens

4. Pretty much just avoid all traffic because that's what you will encounter!

That said if you get away from the city and stay off I-95 at all costs you can enjoy the swampy, muggy heat of America's "sunshine state" :thumbup:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
There's some nicer road North of Orlando. If you feel like hitting the Beach you're right in the middle between Tampa & Daytona. Daytona is way over rated, go West on I-4 and toward St-Pete Beach on I-275 South. Hurricane bar & grill have a killer view of the sunset (roof top) and food is not too bad either. If you want to go a bit more South (Skyway Bridge) the view is quite breath taking, even at night. Then you can cut through North East and go back to Orlando. The Keys are a killer too but it's a 2 days thing with an over night stay in Key West (Perfect H-D ride)

If you decide to hit the East coast of Florida near West Palm Beach, let me know. I know a good English Pub around here... Also Due South Brewery is about 2 miles from my place. :)

Cheers and be safe! Don't stay anywhere close to any cage blind spot.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So... stay out of Florida? :rof: .. sorry :)

YES!!!

Season, winter time is horrible! (not the wether).

Traffic triples, restaurant prices go up, waiting lines an hour long to get in, lots of rental cars with people driving slow. Try geting to the beach, yea right...

But yes, Florida is horrible in the Winter, stay up north, way over rated...:D

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers for the tips guys. I'm gonna send off some emails to rentals and get some more information.

Might be a daft thing to ask, but, since the "New York Incident", and the "no filtering", is it just best to stick to granny riding? Which I guess is what harley riding is all about.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers for the tips guys. I'm gonna send off some emails to rentals and get some more information.

Might be a daft thing to ask, but, since the "New York Incident", and the "no filtering", is it just best to stick to granny riding? Which I guess is what harley riding is all about.

Basically yes. NY incident is a non-issue, in FL. on a Harley.. cops won't hassle you. Doesn't mean you should fly though.. just enjoy the Harley for what it's built.. puttering around, taking in the views.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

My buddy lives in Tampa, FL and tell you what, Florida cops are WAY laid back compared to up north. He's lived there for 7 years and has never been ticketed. When he lived in DC he got pulled over several times a year. You have to really be driving/riding like an idiot to get pulled over in FL.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Yep, no filtering BUT, I don't think you'll get that HD going fast enough to get in trouble or have enough ground clearance for any serious (our one or two corners) turns.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
...I don't think you'll get that HD going fast enough to get in trouble or have enough ground clearance for any serious (our one or two corners) turns.

We already discussed the lack of curves on FL roads. Unless you are on a cloverleaf or entrance ramp to a highway there are no curves, no worries on the Harley and Harley's top out around 100 mph (governor limited). :rolleyes:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
.. just enjoy the Harley for what it's built.. puttering around, taking in the views.

So basically, if you can say Potato-Potato-Potato-Potato faster than the engine can say Potato-Potato-Potato-Potato... You're going too fast Blah

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
FL is dead-flat and straight. There are no curves. Cruiser is the perfect way to go there.

This isn't quite true. My brother lives in Fort Myers and he knows all three curves within a 100 mile radius of his house. He rides them every chance he gets! :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't quite true. My brother lives in Fort Myers and he knows all three curves within a 100 mile radius of his house. He rides them every chance he gets! :thumbup:

LMAO! Yeah.. I visit Daytona every year and I finally found the one road that has curves on it.. you should see it.. FULL of bikers!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

He may want to Google Veterans Parkway (SR 884 W) between Chiquita and Pine Island Rd. A pretty long, high speed sweeper... :thumbup:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Just found out we're staying in Davenport. Gonna have a good Google earth session and see what's about.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe too late now but avoid I4 within Orlando!!!!!
Also there are too many distracted drivers mostly close to the attractions areas.

If I recall correctly, there is a Kawasaki dealership in Kissimmee which rents bikes.

There is a nice little section of the road by Lake Apopka where, I believe, you'll find the highest hill in central Florida, Sugarloaf "mountain"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

If I'm not mistaken, I think that's how you ride a HD :rolleyes: At least, 99.9% do.

Ahh, hmmmm, oh, and you'll need to ride on the right side of the road ;)

Cheers!