My son ships out Tuesday

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My son leaves Tuesday for Ft Benning, Army Infantry...This letting go is not so easy I must admit, but I am so so proud of him as he begins his life...and serves his country!!!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You've had a tough year......

it's hard to let the kids go though, both of mine left Colorado within 5 days of each other.

But Congrats to him and I pray he stays safe during his time.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I my be bias but I feel joining the Army is a great choice for anyone. I served for a few years and had some great times mixed with some not-so-great times. I wish nothing but the best for you and your son as he starts this journey. :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll see him again. In a few short weeks! I went to ft CHILL OK when indie my basic... Even though some days it was 10 with a -5 windchill. I still had a blast. And will never forget the gas chamber.

He is doing great things man!

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll see him again. In a few short weeks! I went to ft CHILL OK when indie my basic... Even though some days it was 10 with a -5 windchill. I still had a blast. And will never forget the gas chamber.

He is doing great things man!

-5 is t-shirt weather in the Canadian army lol. I've had a -65c (-85f) day while training.
I'm on a high readiness medical decontamination team so I'm in the gas hut a fair bit and I always hate it lol.

OP- its just as scary for him to leave, but it seems to make the relationship better for the times he comes home. Family time is more appreciated. It's a great decision for young people to get out, test themselves and see the world in a way most people never will.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
It's tough to let them go, never forget watching my oldest son take his first solo drive. As he went out of sight the realization that he was on his own now and my instruction was over (for that session at least) was so powerful.

Thanks for what you have done in raising a son who wants to give back and thanks to him for doing it.

Will be praying for your son and his safe return.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Hooyah!! The Navy did me wonders. I grew and learned more about myself than most people ever do.

Any idea what his MOS will be? The Navy gives you a NEC before you leave for boot. No idea if the Army did the same thing.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure, but he wants to transition into medic field...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome man. Hope it works out for him. I knew some corpsman in the Navy fairly well. It's not an easy job, but a rewarding one.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE: He just graduated from Basic this morning!! Now its 5 weeks AIT, then he is coming home after he reports to his duty station!! One proud Dad here!!:thumbup:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did my basic at FT. Benning too. Oh and by the way, the gas chamber will clear nasal passages out real good . Just remind him to shave close that day so he'll get a good seal on his gas mask. Good Luck to your son.

Doc

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned a lot about myself at Ft Benning. Army Infantry is the way to go. Everyone blows the infantry $hit about being dumb grunts but you will never see another soldier that can ruck, drive all the vehicles, shoot all weapon systems, do all the paperwork, maintain all the equipment, and use all the commo equipment - all while bitching about being bored. :thumbup:

My first two deployments were with the infantry and I've never had more fun. :rockon: