Moving to Canada anyone got a CRNE book I can beg/borrow or steal?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Need some advice on how to obtain a work Visa for Canada.
As a family we are considering upping sticks and moving on. I am a experienced Emergency Dept nurse.
Any tips on: cost of living, Standard of living would be greatly appreciated.
Would also like to here from any Nurses working in Canada.

Nelly:thumbup:

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow Neil. I didn't think your wife would leave Ireland!

PS - Australia has a much better climate (and more British here :))

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I work in the healthcare sector here in Calgary,(biomedical technologist)
We are just starting opening a brand new hospital here this summer, so as you can imagine we are desparate for all healthcare type people.

Job postings are here
Healthjobs.ab.ca - Health Care Jobs in Alberta, Canada including Registered nursing and nurses

I am almost positive, with your background, it will be an easy process.
Visa infornation can be found here..

FREE Canada Immigration Assessment Form - Canadavisa.com

Though I have not spent any time in the UK, I have spent some time in S.Africa.

Our infrastructure is pretty much what you would expect for any western civilization.
The cost of living here is around 40% less than what you are used to over there.

Did you know its clean here too?
In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes.com

Lots of folks from the UK come here and buy up small acreages. (something to do with the love of horses I think) Though the prices of houses (property) in Alberta is quite high right now.
Food costs are about the same or lower, fuel (petrol) is WAY cheaper here.
The standard of living here is high (same or better than most areas of the USA)
Unlike the UK we have LOTS of room, none of the typical "Flats" that you are used to over there, mostly single family homes with yards and garages ect..

Let me know if I can help more...

Cheers!
Randy

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey now that is cool Nelly.

We have an office in Calgary and that area is booming with all of the oil and gas business. With the growth in the area I'm sure nurses are needed.

Canada is a great place, it's like the US but without all of the problems.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Regina Sask.Canada and my wife is looks after hiring for the Health Region (nurses etc). We are short on nurses and anyone in the medical profession and in every profession. Google Regina and see if it is a place where you might want to live. If you have any question or interested in finding a job up here PM me and I'll get you some contact info.

The quality of life up here is great. My commute to work is 7min, 15 min if I hit the 5min rush hour traffic. I can be on a lake in about 40min. Housing cost has gone up recently but it is still a pretty great place.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow Neil. I didn't think your wife would leave Ireland!

PS - Australia has a much better climate (and more British here :))

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
If Greece and Spain fall out of the euro, we figure we will be basically screwed. Trying to find some options.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Regina Sask.Canada and my wife is looks after hiring for the Health Region (nurses etc). We are short on nurses and anyone in the medical profession and in every profession. Google Regina and see if it is a place where you might want to live. If you have any question or interested in finding a job up here PM me and I'll get you some contact info.

The quality of life up here is great. My commute to work is 7min, 15 min if I hit the 5min rush hour traffic. I can be on a lake in about 40min. Housing cost has gone up recently but it is still a pretty great place.
Thanks for the info, will google it up.
Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I work in the healthcare sector here in Calgary,(biomedical technologist)
We are just starting opening a brand new hospital here this summer, so as you can imagine we are desparate for all healthcare type people.

Job postings are here
Healthjobs.ab.ca - Health Care Jobs in Alberta, Canada including Registered nursing and nurses

I am almost positive, with your background, it will be an easy process.
Visa infornation can be found here..

FREE Canada Immigration Assessment Form - Canadavisa.com

Though I have not spent any time in the UK, I have spent some time in S.Africa.

Our infrastructure is pretty much what you would expect for any western civilization.
The cost of living here is around 40% less than what you are used to over there.

Did you know its clean here too?
In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes.com

Lots of folks from the UK come here and buy up small acreages. (something to do with the love of horses I think) Though the prices of houses (property) in Alberta is quite high right now.
Food costs are about the same or lower, fuel (petrol) is WAY cheaper here.
The standard of living here is high (same or better than most areas of the USA)
Unlike the UK we have LOTS of room, none of the typical "Flats" that you are used to over there, mostly single family homes with yards and garages ect..

Let me know if I can help more...

Cheers!
Randy
Thanks Randy,
Nelly

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you've made up your mind on where to live yet, looks like lots of people are recommending Alberta. I live in Toronto and I'm going to go ahead and NOT recommend toronto. it has lots of hospitals and thus lots of job options List of hospitals in Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and lots going on, night life, bars, galleries, yadda yadda, but it's dirty, the second most expesnive place to live in all of north america (new york beats it, that's it) and driving is a nightmare. people will try to kill you every 15seconds JUST to get ONE car ahead. Alberta has the rockies, cowboys, open spaces. I've never been, but would like to and actually it parts of why I got the FZ6.
hey, you're shipping your fazzer over right? :D

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Need some advice on how to obtain a work Visa for Canada.
As a family we are considering upping sticks and moving on. I am a experienced Emergency Dept nurse.
Any tips on: cost of living, Standard of living would be greatly appreciated.
Would also like to here from any Nurses working in Canada.

Nelly:thumbup:

Stay away from Toronto and Vancouver due to high housing prices and taxes... Alberta has the jobs, albeit mostly in petro chemical... But, Alberta also has long cold winters, though... Ontario would be my second choice, but not Toronto... I live about 120km west of Toronto in a small town near Kitchener/Waterloo... House prices and property taxes are low and emplyment is good in most fields... What ever you do, don't buy a condo... they are not a good long term investment...

Richard

rivettm

Reaction score
Visit site
Try and find a company to pay for your immigration. I moved from Canada to the USA and the company I work for paid for everything including moving expenses.

Since you're in the medical field you should be able to find work. Since it is in demand they might be willing to cover the expenses of moving you and your family.

I found pay is higher in the USA and I made a lot of good friends here. I don't really watch the news and I can't vote anyway so I stay out of politics and life is good. Canada is a great place though. I do miss the cooler weather and snow.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 3 hrs north of Toronto...pretty darn close to God's Country. Both Sudbury (65,000 ppl) and North Bay (52,000) are dying for RN's....of all types.
For example Sudbury has a regional health centre (relatively new) and has job postings galore.... Nursing Career Opportunities
North Bay also has a brand new regional centre....state of the art (Mental Health Ctr as well).... Welcome to the North Bay Regional Health Centre | Bienvenue au Centre régional de santé de North Bay

I know you said you were an ER Nurse....not sure how many ER positions there are.

Below are two links which may be able to help you out and eliminate that $3000 fee for assisting you with the visa app.

HealthForceOntario | Being a Nurse in Ontario | Government of Ontario

Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario |

My family and I moved up here 3 years ago after I got on with the fire department and haven't looked back.....clean lakes....univ and college in town....TONS or great riding as well.
Drop me a line if I can help you out in any way.