Motorcycle License in Colorado?

dreamer7

Whippersnapper
Reaction score
Visit site
Now, how would I go about getting my motorcycle endorsement here in colorful Colorado? I am 16, have an instruction permit, soon to be a full license, and after looking through the DMV's website, I haven't found much I can use or understand. So what is the deal with being able to ride?

By the way, hello all, I'm new here, I don't have a bike yet, and I absolutely love the look of the FZ6, and am looking at it as a second bike. For now, I am okay with getting the ropes on 250-ish motorcycle.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the site.

The MSF website provides a weath of information. MSF-USA.Org Below is a link for Colorado classes.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

I've actually had a couple of 16 years old in my previous classes. They all have real cool moms, as you may know, you will have to have one of your parents sign off the waiver forms in order for you to take the class.

Good luck!

dreamer7

Whippersnapper
Reaction score
Visit site
My question relates more to the permit and licensing system that Colorado uses for motorcycles, but thanks for the info.

And those kids, what were their dads like? I think it is funny, my mom is okay with my being on a bike, but my dad is not for it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My question relates more to the permit and licensing system that Colorado uses for motorcycles, but thanks for the info.

And those kids, what were their dads like? I think it is funny, my mom is okay with my being on a bike, but my dad is not for it.

For some reason, it's always been the moms. I guess soccer mom's and motorcycles mom's go hand n hand. LOL..

Whether you ever get a bike or not, taking the class will make you a better driver! It's a safety class, and I don't think your father would deny you from taking a safety class. You may want to take the class along with your father.

You don't need a motorcycle, that is provided. All you need is a DOT approved helmet and some other minor gear which you probably already have.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i don't know about colorado but i can tell you how it works in n.c. and i assume it'd be pretty similar. i'm not sure that age plays a factor in any part of this in n.c. but i could be wrong.

i'm not sure if you can get just a moto endorsement without first having a valid drivers license, so for the argument i'm going to assume you can't.

option 1 - go to dmv and take the written test to get your moto learners permit. [every state is different on what you're allowed to do at this point. in some states you have to have a licensed moto rider riding their bike with you. in n.c. the only restrictions were no passengers and i can't leave the state.] after you get your learners you go out on your motorcycle and practice. once you know what you're doing you go to dmv with your motorcycle and take a road test... that i have heard is pretty hard. if you pass, you get your endorsement.

option 2 - signup for (and take) a BRC using their bikes. once you pass you get a card stating that you've passed. you take that card to dmv, along with your car license, and take the written test at dmv. give 'em 5 bucks and they hand you a new license with a moto endorsement on it.

variation of #2... i actually took the written and got my learners before taking the BRC. i never went out on the road with it cause i was scared to death. after completing the BRC i took my license, learners and completion card in, handed them 5 bucks, got my picture taken and went home for my first ride. :rockon:

i have no clue how any of this applies to you at 16. i do know you have to have your parents permission to take the BRC (which i highly suggest you do). but other than that all i can say is maybe take a trip to dmv and ask them how it works in your state.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Taking an MSF course would be the best thing. Otherwise you need to have a drivers license, then get a motorcycle permit (written test), then take a field test with your motorcycle. Doing an MSF course would give you all that in a few days course with a motorcycle supplied and someone to give you some riding pointers.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Now, how would I go about getting my motorcycle endorsement here in colorful Colorado? I am 16, have an instruction permit, soon to be a full license, and after looking through the DMV's website, I haven't found much I can use or understand. So what is the deal with being able to ride?

By the way, hello all, I'm new here, I don't have a bike yet, and I absolutely love the look of the FZ6, and am looking at it as a second bike. For now, I am okay with getting the ropes on 250-ish motorcycle.

Motorcycle Drivers | DMV | CO

Download the manual.... that should have the specific requirements for MC licencing.... it's almost always an endorsement on your 'standard' D/L. You would normally have to take an additional knowledge test, and another demonstration of skills.

Both of those requirements can be satisfied by attending the MSF basic rider's course.... successful completion in almost all states participating meets those two requirements.... all you do is walk into DMV with your standard D/L, and the completion certificate, and they will put the endorsement on your license.

Most states put limits on what an 'underage' driver is allowed to do.... curfews, and such. With motorcycles, this usually runs to daylight operation without passengers.... if you have your learner's permit for your MC endorsement, they want you riding within so many feet of a fully licensed rider.