Mistake of a New Rider

fazerider

Reaction score
Visit site
Trying to keep up with a better rider is a common mistake, you'll learn from it.
Let the guy ahead of you win and get the speeding ticket.

Try pumping the rear brake between downshifts instead of just standing on it too while your grabing a steady handful of front brake. Practice stoping fast when you don't have too so you'll react better when your suprised next time.
Most people forget to downshift and the rear can lock up easier with the clutch in.

Sounds like you high sided when your rear wheel got traction again it wants to stand the bike up tosing you over the direction you were traveling.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
i hate it when you ride with an experienced rider and they still push it knowing you cant do it... kills the ride, as you know lol

Agreed.. We had a ride a few weeks ago that was on a major interstate that heads north.. The R1's, CBR1000's and Gixxer 1000's were having a blast doin 140 up the highway while i struggled to keep up with my little FZ6 :) They ended up getting speeding tickets though so it all balances out :)

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed.. We had a ride a few weeks ago that was on a major interstate that heads north.. The R1's, CBR1000's and Gixxer 1000's were having a blast doin 140 up the highway while i struggled to keep up with my little FZ6 :) They ended up getting speeding tickets though so it all balances out :)

Now that is funny! 140? Wow, I wouldn't have the balls to try my luck at that (both with my life and my license).

Whenever I'm going up a hill I slow a little and am ready to brake with hand and foot in position. I'm always worried a deer will be standing there.

I think I've heard 3 stories now where someone was going too fast and saw a cop, lost it or brakes too hard and looses it. Seems like seeing a cop can be a major, major distraction. When you're going the speed limit you don't worry if you see a cop.

Last edited:

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Another funny thing I just remembered. Your friends reminded me of this younger guy in my MSF course. He was one of the super go fast guys too. Used to have a SV1000S (clip-ons one). He was taking the course to get a break on insurance since he'd gotten so many tickets. Also he had to sell his SV1000 and get a SV650 because he couldn't afford the insurance anymore.

So what I was thinking was that maybe your buddies would have a similar fate if they aren't careful.

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I laid my bike down a few days ago. I topped a hill only to find the guy I was riding with considerably slowed down and a cop car on the left side of the road. I panicked and accidentally locked the rear wheel down and went skidding sideways. Then I got thrown off the bike somehow (not sure how...maybe I let off the rear brake causing a whiplash effect???) and went sliding like 50 ft into a ditch while my bike slid into the cop car. Once my rear wheel locked up should I just have kept it lock and rode it out til I stopped sideways or what? Also, how should I have avoided this situation all together?

First and foremost, I'm glad to hear you're ok. Highsides seem to have great potential for massive injury.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else recommend this yet; If you haven't already done so, you should probably take the MSF basic rider course. It's well worth the money, and will likely get you a discount on your motorcycle insurance. If you've already taken it, then :thumbup:.

If not, this school might be convenient for you: MidTennMotorcycle.com
And if that's not close enough, you'll probably be able to locate a closer class here: Motorcycle Safety Foundation

I imagine that the police officer was quite freaked out. I'm sure that was a scary sight. Glad to hear he was so cool about it.

As the other posts have suggested, practice, practice, practice.

Be safe out there,
~Scott

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I still go down to the local industrial area on the weekends to practice emergency stops. It's essential to keep this skill tight. I generally only use my back brake for slow turns to help steer (think it's called trail braking). My riding instructor last year taught me this.

For newbies, start slowly, when in 2nd gear gear do an emergency stop. Gradually build up your speed each time until you stop more quickly, with less distance. Remember, if you lock up your rear wheel, you've failed!

Last edited:

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
same here. when we ride as a group we stop at every T intersection and tell the group where we are stopping next. that way if they leave the rest of us then they wait for us at the next turn off. i am more of a back rider and dont feel any need to be in front. being in the back gives me a better view of the other people wrecking lol.

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your okay !

You will probably hear good advice from most. The problem is without knowing the exact conditions it' a little hard to apply the advice to help a new rider via a website, other than slow down entering blind areas, hnd covering brake, judicious use of front and rear brake, etc. Just my opinion.

My suggestion for riders is this; Take a riders course/safety course, whatever it's called in your area. No matter if your experienced or not. It will give you some ideals, skills, and reminders to build on.

Oh yeah. Practice Emergency stops with your bike under controlled conditions. This will be a very good help in the future and is a must for all of us.

Keep riding.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Basis principle.

Always ride at a speed where you can stop in the distance you can see.

I have never understood why people want to ride right up the ar&e of another rider. If you give him 2 minutes start you will both ride the same road and get to the same destination at some time.

If you want to ride close then go to the track.

It sounds like you were lucky this time.

Steve