List of Motorcycle that require the least amount of maintenance

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys could you help me figure out which bikes require the least amount of major maintencae, such as valve adjustsments?
The Fz6 was my favorite bike I wanted but the fact that it required the valves to be check roughly every 25k miles definetly help me not look at Aprilia and Ducati.

I was reading that BMW used to make a k engine that did not require valves to be checked but I believe that engine is not made anymore.

What other bikes out there require very little maintenance?
We shall start with teh

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE CHART
Honda Goldwing - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 32,000 mi (52,000 km)
Yamaha FZ6 - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 26,600 mi (42,000 km)
Kawasaki VERSYS 1000 - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 26,600 mi (42,000 km)
Yamaha Tracer 900 - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 25,000 mi (40,000 km)
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 25,000 mi (40,000 km)
Mv Agusta Turismo Veloce 800 - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 18,000 mi (30,000 km)
Ducati multistrada 1260\950 - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 18,000 mi (30,000 km)
Honda Africa Twin - CRF1000L - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 16,000 mi
2015 HONDA Interceptor - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 16,000 mi
HONDA NC 700X - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 12,000 mi
BMW F700GS - Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 12,000 mi

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How about a Gootzi?

Shaft drive. Easy to get to valve lash?

Seriously the FZ6 is so good when it comes to longevity and it's a pretty bulletproof bike up against other make and models. Just look at how we're still on this great forum 10 years after they stopped making the FZ6.

Griso_8V_STATIC-10.jpg

Last edited:

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
The BMW F800GT was on my radar prior to getting the FZ but beyond my budget. From what I read the valve train rarely requires adjustment and the drive belts can go 30K+ before replacement is needed.
I never owned/rode one but my understanding is the old mid eighties Honda Night Hawk 700/750's had hydraulic lifters and never needed valve adjustments :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the BMW, I would go to one of their forums and look about.

Every motorcycle has it's issues...

IME (46 years), and doing some work on BMW's, they have their issues, are VERY expensive for parts and some designs, WAY over engineered and specialty tools needed for basic maintenance. There were some issues of Cam chains JUMPING upon start up as the tensioner was operated by OIL PRESSURE(forgot which model). There was a "fix kit" for it however it wasn't under warranty, out of your pocket for everything.

I'm the "KISS" type of person. Keep It Simple Stupid. The less "goodies / accessories", the less there is to break/maintain.

As noted by Motogiro, the FZ / FJR (similar design) are about bullet proof and rarely need valve adjustments. Being semi naked, it's considerably easier / faster working on the engine/bike in general. It's valve train check is about the longest in the industry.

If you can find a Hydraulic valve lifter bike would eliminate valve checks. But be forewarned, with hydraulic lifters, your down grading PERFORMANCE significantly.

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
Every motorcycle has it's issues...

True, what might not bother one rider may be a deal breaker for another. Honda VFR800's for example have a very good reputation for being a reliable motorcycle, but there are some reports or regulator/rectifier failures. To me that's not a big deal. The deal breaker comes when it's time for valve adjustments. Like many modern bikes you must pull the cams to remove/replace shims. On top of that is another procedure to adjust the variable valve timing. To do all that you are typically looking at eight plus hours of labor. For those competent enough to tackle a job like that means your bike will be down most if not all weekend. The Kawasaki ZX11 and ZRX's (1100 and 1200) I've had were a breeze to change valve shims on. Just push the lifter aside and let the cam lobe hold it in place while you remove/replace the shim using a magnet and small screwdriver. :thumbup:
As for the BMW timing chain tensioner issue I know some of the 05' K1200S bikes had a issue (I had one). It was a simple fix (remove/replace). Other maintenance work was a bit more involved. Example: when refilling the cooling system coolant must be drawn in under vacuum to avoid the possibility of air being trapped in the cylinder head. It also required the mechanic at a independent shop specializing in European motorcycles to buy a specialty tool to install the clutch pack.
As for the F800ST/GT's I think those motors are fairly well sorted out. Like the FZ6, there are reports of owners with 100K+ miles on them. Are they completely trouble free? No. There have been some reports of bearings going bad in the rear wheel/belt drive assembly among other things. One must weigh the pros/cons of each bike to see if it is right for them.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just adjusted two of my exhaust valves (too tight by .001") 26,600 miles.

I'm very mechanically inclined (had shims if needed & gasket) and completed from beginning to end in about 4 hours going slow (first time) AND that's adjusting, NOT just checking.. That includes syncing the TB's as well. (very minor adjustment)

I know I can do it in 3 hours easily and I know it's ACTUALLY BEEN done. Most mechanics would blow off .001". There's a spec there and it's a lot easier/cheaper than a burnt exhaust valve later.

Being on an FZ6 forum, expect usually good things to be said (naturally).

Back to the original poster, most valves need checking/adjusting. The FZ is one of the LONGEST mileage IN-BETWEEN checks needed. As I re-call reading, the Concours was needed every 6,000 miles (and that IS a full day job).

The adjustment was not nearly as hard as I feared and once done, piece of cake and would do another in a heart beat.. (and save at least $600)..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lastly, about the only other thing to avoid costly valve checks / adjustments is to have a bike with SCREW AND LOCK NUT adjuster accessible from an exterior cap.

Or, as shown below, a KLR 250 screw and nut, but the valve cover still needs to come off.

Cams was out for a cam chain replacement(super long chain as well):

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
Came across this thread while looking for something else https://advrider.com/f/threads/low-maintenance-bikes.1271910/ and thought of this thread.
I skimmed through it but post #70 (page 4) caught my attention. I knew the Honda NC's were known to be frugal bikes (good mpg) but the 8K mile valve adjustment recommendations turned me away. If Honda has indeed changed the valve check/adjustment recommendation and upped it to 16K miles, then it might be worth consideration. They have the simple screw/lock nut adjusters like my sons Bandit 600.
Speaking of the Bandit, I bought it for my son as his first street bike. It had two prior owners and had been dropped who knows how many times. My son has dropped it several times since. It is looking ratty (it's his daily transportation) but has been stone reliable in the nearly five years he's had it.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Came across this thread while looking for something else https://advrider.com/f/threads/low-maintenance-bikes.1271910/ and thought of this thread.
I skimmed through it but post #70 (page 4) caught my attention. I knew the Honda NC's were known to be frugal bikes (good mpg) but the 8K mile valve adjustment recommendations turned me away. If Honda has indeed changed the valve check/adjustment recommendation and upped it to 16K miles, then it might be worth consideration. They have the simple screw/lock nut adjusters like my sons Bandit 600.
Speaking of the Bandit, I bought it for my son as his first street bike. It had two prior owners and had been dropped who knows how many times. My son has dropped it several times since. It is looking ratty (it's his daily transportation) but has been stone reliable in the nearly five years he's had it.

I always liked that Honda took a leap and built the NCs. That frame and engine were used on 3 platforms including a scooter. Looks like you only need to remove the radiator to do the valve lash. At least you're putting in fresh coolant at every valve check.:) The engine has that forward rotation design.
Honda-NC700X-chassis.jpg

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the reply guys. Did some research and update the top with what I found. What do you guys think about the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ?

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you guys think about the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ?

A friend of mine (Mike) likes to work on motorcycles as a side job. He commutes on a SV1000 and has over 100K on it. He also has a high compression SV1000 rat bike he built out of his many spares. That bike is a hoot to ride (third gear power wheelies :rockon:). I personally don't know a lot about the V-Strom 1000's but believe the motors (at least the early years) are essentially de tuned SV1000 motors with different cam profiles. After all, the wee strom (650 version) is basically a SV650 motor with some tweaks.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of the BMW F700 GS and they seem to have some decent wind protection for touring
These valves would need to be checked every 12k miles though.

86078.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of the BMW F700 GS and they seem to have some decent wind protection for touring
These valves would need to be checked every 12k miles though.

View attachment 69621

The windshield doesn't look 6" tall?? Did you ride one yet?

Valve checks more than TWO TIMES that of the FZ too?? Thought you wanted a low maintenance bike...

There's nothing on You Tube re the 700 but the video's for the F800 look at least involved as the FZ if not more work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nFNYJT_KmM\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZbnuXugS-s

Last edited:

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
The windshield doesn't look 6" tall?? Did you ride one yet?

Valve checks more than TWO TIMES that of the FZ too?? Thought you wanted a low maintenance bike...

There's nothing on You Tube re the 700 but the video's for the F800 look at least involved as the FZ if not more work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nFNYJT_KmM\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZbnuXugS-s

Yes I am on the taller side. Depending on the model they come with a taller windshield.
Yeah I do want a low maintenance bike, but I still like the looks of it :)
I will probably end up sticking to a Yamaha, anyway since I was a kid always liked\rooted for Yamaha
however in the meantime its always nice to research other bikes, but the Suzuki V-Strom would be high on my list if I was looking to buy now.
In the mean time I will keep updating the first post with what I find out about maintenance miles...

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been finding some mix information about the Kawasaki VERSYS 1000 The one PDF I found said Every 26,250 mi (42,000 km)
But in some forums some people have mentioned 16k miles, so not sure if it changed at one point or another.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Surprisingly the Ducati multistrada 1260\950 Check and adjust valve clearance when engine is cold. Every 18,000 mi (30,000 km)
hmm that is definitely a bike that would be on top of my list at the right price :)

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Ummmm, you mentioned Ducati in a thread about reliable bikes.

:rof:

Chris

I do not have any experience with Ducati's. I do like the way they look. I know I will most likely always drive a Yamaha at the end of the day as it makes the most sense