KTM Supermoto to the Pacific Ocean

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
To celebrate my 25 years as a business owner I traded in my FZ1 for a new 2010 KTM Supermoto T (tour model). I have always wanted a V Twin and I really like to ride the outback roads of Northern Ca but these roads are usually quite rough so a good suspension was in order for these old bones. No better place to test out the bike than Hwy 36 from Red Bluff Ca to the Pacific.

IMG_2656.jpg

About half way to the coast I turned on small tight back roads for some real testing. This would be the theme of my ride.

IMG_2658.jpg

The northwestern part of CA is huge but remote so very little traffic but lots of Cows.

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

Perhaps the KTM is part snowmobile

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

As I approached the ocean the Redwoods are always stunning.

IMG_2673.jpg

Finally after turning 140 miles into 270 I made it to the coast.

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

Our Aussie friends are just across the water.

IMG_2716.jpg

And here's the big reward after a full day in the saddle, geez even my snack food is orange :BLAA:

IMG_2744.jpg

A few thoughts on the Katoom

With the Akrapovic pipes that v twin rumble is just music.

It is a bit tall for me, can you say tippy toes?

Bumps in the road? What bumps.

V twin Rumble? Ya my butt was still rumbling a day after two days on the bike but it is a great machine for our mountain roads.
When it comes to long distance duty I'll still be riding my smoooooth FJR!

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny you sold your FZ6 to buy the KTM 990 SMT...

I just bought a 09 FZ6 w/ 1500 miles mint condition for $5000 because I want to do some riding this summer and it's going to take me a year to save up enough to pay cash for a new 990 SMT.

The 990 SMT is my dream bike right now...the FZ6 is a awesome little bike it will hold me over til next year.

I probably end of keeping it for a backup bike...

I have this crazy idea of getting on a train with my new 990 SMT from the east coast out to the west coast so I can get Corbin to make me a custom touring seat, then riding it back to NC. :rockon:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to do a trip like that, not much time to do it for the next few years tho. Great pics too!

There's nothing like being on the road headed some place far away as the sun is coming up.....:Sport:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny you sold your FZ6 to buy the KTM 990 SMT...

I just bought a 09 FZ6 w/ 1500 miles mint condition for $5000 because I want to do some riding this summer and it's going to take me a year to save up enough to pay cash for a new 990 SMT.

The 990 SMT is my dream bike right now...the FZ6 is a awesome little bike it will hold me over til next year.

I probably end of keeping it for a backup bike...

I have this crazy idea of getting on a train with my new 990 SMT from the east coast out to the west coast so I can get Corbin to make me a custom touring seat, then riding it back to NC. :rockon:

I sold my 07 FZ6 to buy a really fast FZ1 (great bike) and sold the 1 to get the KTM. Cross country on a SMT? Could get a bit ugly on the flat stuff, I'll keep my FJR for long haul duty :D

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics and report. Sounds like you caught the adventure bug. :)

I believe that thing in the foreground of the photo below is a grid that cows won't cross. I ran across those (literally) on an adventure challenge over in Texas last month. Dang things! They were all over the place, way rougher than that one and usually popped up leaning into a blind curve right when trying to make a little time on the pavement.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that thing in the foreground of the photo below is a grid that cows won't cross. I ran across those (literally) on an adventure challenge over in Texas last month. Dang things! They were all over the place, way rougher than that one and usually popped up leaning into a blind curve right when trying to make a little time on the pavement.

It's a "cattle guard"....the ones on my families farm are homemade made out of railroad timbers stretched across a natural low spot or creek using railroad track with railroad spikes to secure them.

It was always fun riding over them on 4 wheelers at 40mph...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

We have plenty of them in the western states. I had a pucker moment on my FJR last fall in Montana on a wet day. Have to respect the cattle guards.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have plenty of them in the western states. I had a pucker moment on my FJR last fall in Montana on a wet day. Have to respect the cattle guards.

Yeah, we have a lot of them here in the mountains where there are cattle ranches. Not sure but I think the cattle don't like the feeling on their hoofs and so if they get on the road they'll stay in that area between the grids and hopefully go no further down the road.

When are you coming back down here on your new steed Doug?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Oh yeah, lots of cattle guards in Texas. Just "square" up on them, and hit them as up right as possible. Also raise your butt off the saddle and let the bike roll over them. No big deal.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
Move :spank:

It may be worth it to hire a local pest control company who deals with the stink bugs (not a problem here), they know what works best where you live.

i hate to turn this into a pest control thread, but i've got honey bees BAD in the end of the house right by the chimney, any ideas?

sweet bike by the way, i like the KTMs, the local yami dealer has a super duke i wouldn't mind having

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only way to get rid of honey bees is the honey badger.
Correct! I can help....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg]The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger (original narration by Randall) - YouTube[/ame]

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not like destroying honey bees but you do not want them living in your walls. We do wear bee suits for a reason.
Hire a pro to kill the bees (sorry no safe way to remove them). Then be prepared to open up the wall to remove the wax and honey as it will melt and make a bigger mess.
The longer you leave the bees in the wall the worse it will get.