Interesting Full Face Helmet Impact Area Statistics - PLEASE READ!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
This was recently passed on to me by a fellow instructor at the Vancouver Island Safety Council. Very infromative!

Interesting diagram shows the impact areas on crash-involved motorcycle helmets. (Source: Dietmar Otte, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Abteilung Verkehrsunfallforschung, Germany.)

Note that 35% of all crashes showed major impact on the chin-bar area. This means that if you ride with an open-face helmet, you are accepting only 65% of the protection that could be available to your head.

If people ride with a shorty or half helmet, they are accepting only 39% of the protection they could obtain. They are literally throwing away 61% of the protection they would have had had they chosen a full-face helmet.

helmet.gif

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
seeing this is what made me get a full faced helmet. i was looking at something with an opened face because they felt so constricting. after seeing this it was a no brainer. now i can't imagine wearing anything other than a full faced helmet.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to get an open face helmet when i get an older single cylinder bike. i justify it to myself by the fact i wont be going that quick on it so will minimize the odds of falling in the first place.

open face on any bike that will be ridden quick or hard is a no brainer tho.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

BTW: then why the Police wearing the open face helmets?
There might be some reasons why they use open face....

W

wrightme43

The police use open face helmets so they can easily speak, and communicate. They need freedom of quick movement, and the ability to respond to danger, they give up safety for that.

I saw that a long time ago, it is from the Hurt report, and had a huge impact on my helmet choices too. I like my old noggin. LOL LOL

Thanks Boneman.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

BTW: then why the Police wearing the open face helmets?
There might be some reasons why they use open face....
as Wme43 said.. i would say cops keep their helmet on 90% of the day. and if they need to yell at someone or hear someone, imagine wearing a full face and trying to communicate in an emergency situation.

same reason they take their seatbelts off a mile before getting to a call.. and opening the door before teh car even comes to a stop, its all about split seconds.

i dunno.. im not a cop, but i have enough friends and close relatives and did countless ride alongs to pick up a few things

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a full face helmet because I don't like to go to the dentist.

As far as the cops, they have been known to wear flip up modular helmets. But as others have said, they are able to communicate better with the public rather than hiding behind a helmet.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The police use open face helmets so they can easily speak, and communicate. They need freedom of quick movement, and the ability to respond to danger, they give up safety for that.

I saw that a long time ago, it is from the Hurt report, and had a huge impact on my helmet choices too. I like my old noggin. LOL LOL

Thanks Boneman.

plus its tough to cram donuts into a full face helmet. :)

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
The cops around here are moving to the modular helmets. As had been stated it is about the need to be able to comunicate with the public/public relations. The CHP did a test using full face helmets quite a few years back. Late '80's or early '90's. The complaints against officers for being rude skyrocketed because 1. The cops had to yell all the time to be heard through the chinbar and 2. Not being able to see the officer's face "dehumanized" them in the public's eye and the became more "stormtrooperish".

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you Boneman,

I'll send this to a friend that uses both, a half shell and an open face helmet.

One of the fears I had initially was how claustrophobic a full face helmet would be and if I would be able to stand it. To this day, I have not riden once on the street without my full face helmet, which will be soon replaced by another full face helmet.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
This is just what I'm looking for to use in my Persuasive speech for my college class on "Why you should always wear proper safety gear while riding a motorcycle"

Title is a WIP...

Who would I source this to, though?

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks Boneman.

Cops around here use the modular designed helmets. They can flip it up to communitcate etc.

A friend of mine was a motocop here for years. He said they are required to leave it on at all times when on duty. That would be annoying.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cops around here use the modular designed helmets. They can flip it up to communitcate etc.

A friend of mine was a motocop here for years. He said they are required to leave it on at all times when on duty. That would be annoying.

Hence this thread on the Topic of Modulars always up. IMO a false sense of security... --> Observation / modular helments always open.. .. ..