Insurance

Y

yukon_alex

Hello everybody!

I got a quote today for my 2007 Blue FZ6 and was surprised that it was almost twice the cost of my ZX750F that I owned 3 years ago! I was quoted $990 per year for full coverage, if I installed an alarm first. Hmmm.

I have been licensed for 24 years, never had an insurance claim or even a major accident (I fell off once in a low speed corner...it's a long story). I am 40 years old, married, two kids, two dogs and a cat. I'm also a pretty nice guy. Hehe. Didn't seem to make a difference.

Here's two questions for you:

How much are you paying and who is your insurance company? I am shopping around on the advice of the guy who gave me the quote today.

Thanks ahead of time!

crudux-cruo

Reaction score
Visit site
Unbelievable! One of the main reasons I'm riding an FZ6 is because I'm paying $480 / year for my '07. ($41 a month).

Originally, I wanted a ZX6-R, but the insurance was almost 3 times that!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'm amazed that your insurance is that much - particularly in Whitehorse. I would imagine the risk of theft is pertty small there like it was when I lived in Anchorage. If someone takes it, there really isn't anywhere for them to go, so it's only a matter of time before they find it. An off-road bike would be an entirely different matter, but a road bike?

I have <1 year riding experience, live in London (with one of the highest bike theft rates in the UK), no no claims bonus yet, this is only my second bike and my insurance is £369 per year.

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
its my second bike, i added it to my geico account. and the price is the same, over 900 clams. disturbed as i am, i cant find another company whose price is not similar. they say its because my bike is a "high performance" bike.

must be the frame sliders i put on.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
its my second bike, i added it to my geico account. and the price is the same, over 900 clams. disturbed as i am, i cant find another company whose price is not similar. they say its because my bike is a "high performance" bike.

Frame sliders add 25 horsepower... Duh...

H

HavBlue

When I first got my FZ6 a few companies tried pulling this one on me. When I asked them to define high performance bike they always came back with sportbike. Wrong, the FZ6 is a sport touring bike, it is under 100hp, has no clip-ons, is clearly set up for 2 riders as opposed to having a segregated pillion seat and it is nothing even close to a race replica. When I asked if the FJR was considered a sportbike they all said no. My insurance quickly went down to $495 a year for full coverage. I have found in the past that companies like Geico, Progressive and Allstate will insure bikes but they are not bike friendly companies and often balk at it but do it because you have other vehicles on the policy. This is also why my bikes are insured on another policy. I pay less than half what you do for full coverage and that includes the Harley. Granted, things like age, riding experience and other factors will apply.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
When I first got my FZ6 a few companies tried pulling this one on me. When I asked them to define high performance bike they always came back with sportbike. Wrong, the FZ6 is a sport touring bike, it is under 100hp, has no clip-ons, is clearly set up for 2 riders as opposed to having a segregated pillion seat and it is nothing even close to a race replica. When I asked if the FJR was considered a sportbike they all said no. My insurance quickly went down to $495 a year for full coverage. I have found in the past that companies like Geico, Progressive and Allstate will insure bikes but they are not bike friendly companies and often balk at it but do it because you have other vehicles on the policy. This is also why my bikes are insured on another policy. I pay less than half what you do for full coverage and that includes the Harley. Granted, things like age, riding experience and other factors will apply.

Just to add to this comment - mine is with a bike only insurnace company. He's got a good point. I'd try that if I were you.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm paying over $900 also, but here in NJ insurance is always an issue, i have Progressive becuase there are not too many choices for Motorcycle coverage. i also dont have the minimum coverage either which plays a big part in the price. I was talking to a new girl rider who said her insurance was $250. Unfortunately her policy would cover if she needed it. I hate insurance, but you need to be covered enough just in case.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, rates really do vary. I pay $209 per year for full coverage with a $500 deductible. A $250 Deductible would be $270 per year. I am with American Family Mutual Insurance. Liability only would be $85 per year. That is with a multiple vehicle discount, always have something else (something cheap to own) to insure, like a scooter or moped to help bring rates down. My 1981 Honda Passport costs $65 (liability only) per year to insure, but saves me $160 per year on the FZ6 due to multiple vehicle discounts.
Something to consider.

J

jsteinb95

$562 for the year with the FZ6 (full coverage) and the Ninja 250 (liabilty) through Progressive.

R

Raid The Revenge

At first, I was going to be charged $1600.

I've JUST ridden a bike for a whole year, have no other car or driver experience and I absorb speeding tickets.

I pay $500 per year.

--In other words "You're getting ripped off."

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Y

yukon_alex

Thanks for the comments everybody! Just to clarify, I know that there are other insurance threads in the forums. I haven't needed to shop for insurance for 15 years or so as I have been dealing with the same company for that time. I have my vehicle, house, boat and trailer insured through the same company. The purpose of this thread was to get ideas from other Canucks on where to start my shopping.

There were a number of indicators that this particular company is NOT a motorcycle insurance company. 1. I was told that I have to insure the FZ year-round because I might have a nice day in the middle of winter when I would take it out for a ride. I had to double-check to make sure they know where I live. 2. The sales rep. kept telling me to look elsewhere! Hehe.

I am still on the lookout as the website posted by Tolgatt tells me that I can't use the site in Yukon. Too bad.

Any other ideas?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Alex...I don't know if these guys insure outside of BC, but it might be worth a shot to try them for your (optional) Collision and Comprehensive insurance:
Megson Fitzpatrick in Victoria, BC
Ph: 250-595-5212
Megson FitzPatrick Inc
Ask for Brad Copp. He's their Motorcycle Insurance agent and is excellent to deal with.
Their coverage for optional insurance is half the cost of ICBC.
Hope this helps! :)

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the comments everybody! Just to clarify, I know that there are other insurance threads in the forums. I haven't needed to shop for insurance for 15 years or so as I have been dealing with the same company for that time. I have my vehicle, house, boat and trailer insured through the same company. The purpose of this thread was to get ideas from other Canucks on where to start my shopping.

There were a number of indicators that this particular company is NOT a motorcycle insurance company. 1. I was told that I have to insure the FZ year-round because I might have a nice day in the middle of winter when I would take it out for a ride. I had to double-check to make sure they know where I live. 2. The sales rep. kept telling me to look elsewhere! Hehe.

I am still on the lookout as the website posted by Tolgatt tells me that I can't use the site in Yukon. Too bad.

Any other ideas?

Hey,

Try Beacon Insurance. Based in BC, so not sure if they cover Yukon or not. Saved about $300 by going to them.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am with Rider's Plus (Echelon) and pay $560 per year.... I have had my lic for 26 years.... I live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area in Ontario, Canada.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Alex...I don't know if these guys insure outside of BC, but it might be worth a shot to try them for your (optional) Collision and Comprehensive insurance:
Megson Fitzpatrick in Victoria, BC
Ph: 250-595-5212
Megson FitzPatrick Inc
Ask for Brad Copp. He's their Motorcycle Insurance agent and is excellent to deal with.
Their coverage for optional insurance is half the cost of ICBC.
Hope this helps! :)

:thumbup: I use Megson for all my 3rd party insurance (theft,collision, comprehensive, storage and even my gear). Very reasonable rates and great customer service. Megson is underwritten by ING.

I hate ICBC BTW. Friggin government racket!