How to lower my FZ6?

arides

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I just bought a lovely 2005 FZ6 for myself, I am a female rider, I'm 5'3" and about 110lbs. I've rode motorcycles for about 7 years now, and ride anything from my Yamaha XT 225, to my dad's Harley V-rod. The FZ6 is an upgrade from my little 2007 250cc ninja that I am selling right now.

So with all that said I am in need of some information on the best ways to lower my FZ6, because well I'm only 5'3" and although I can touch both tippie toes and maneuver alright from side to side when I need a full footing stance. I'd rather have a little more stable of a stance for it so I don't run into any problems later on.

I will be shaving down the seat here soon, but would love some information on lowering the forks and maybe even the back suspension too, because I mean I'm ridiculously tinny I don't need full suspension because there's no weight there to really use it...

So any helpful suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they also offer a 30mm lowered hyperpro rear spring but you might have to chop off a lil off your kick stand bc it stands up too straight. Im 5'6" n i wear nike ACG's n it makes me a lil taller lol

arides

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. So I lowered the forks down an inch, shaved the seat down, and dropped the suspention down to 1. Overally I've dropped the bike down aboput 2 inches, maybe a bit more. I can now touch with both tippy toes and don't have to slide off the seat to place a flat foot on the ground so that's good.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are comfortable with what you have, I'd ride like that for a while and see how you make out. I was pretty set against lowering my bike as I'm a whopping 5'4". In the begining I was very worried about flat footing, but the more I rode and more comfortable I became, I learned to just use one foot at a stop light. It sounds like it would be tiresome but other than occasionally have some difficult backing the bike into spaces, it hasn't been an issue for me and I will be going into my second year on the FZ.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you lower the front an inch by dropping them in the yokes an inch? Or using lowering springs? Either way, your front is much lower than the back now. That's quite dangerous, you will find it more unstable now unless you're a racer and it will counter-steer and drop into corners much much quicker. Just 1mm dropped makes a difference.

You should always drop the bike the same at the front AND the back or you adjust the rake etc and change how it handles. That's why getting lowering springs for front and back is the best option. Or getting the rear lowering kit from matisse etc and dropping the front forks as well to match.

dan routhier

Reaction score
Visit site
You can remove the rear spring and un thread the lower piece off the shock rod and cut 3/8" off.this will lower it alittle more but will also make your spring preload alot softer.i got about an inch lower on mine..

Qwibby

Scarlet
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking around for a way to lowe my FZ, and I am guessing this hyper pro kit is the best option? If there are any other options please let me know!

spine

Reaction score
www.shop4biker.co.uk
I ride a lowered FZ6 and am female and 5'2". I recommend shaved seat, lowering kit, cut down shock or boots with a heel like the cruiser boots. Thats what I have, works a treat! :) Your feet will hit the ground sooner, giving you some extra stability.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at this; it does nothing with the springs and the rates but simply drops the back of the bike.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/43132-lowering-fz6.html

The front I'd think sliding the forks in the triple would be fine.

Heck, if you have a metric Tap, I'd bet a you could cut the OEM part off and tap it yourself or have someone else do it.

coolbeams

Reaction score
Visit site
hi... all..... just spent ages reading all the threads and post's about lowering a 2004 fazer....... and the cheapest way was to unpick the seat cover, shave/saw/slice/sand a bit of foam of my seat.. ( make sure it's realy smooth, otherwise you will see the marks when you refit the cover ).
Also i set my shock to no.1, and droped the front 20mm...
Now the bike feels a lot more stable under my short arse legs.. lol . and the turning is still good round the bends..
the only gripe is that with the shock on no.1 it gets a little bouncy at times.... but otherwise. all good.....:rockon:

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Arides,
I'd love to know what you ended up doing. I'm 5'6", and backing up is a pain. The link from Soupy's for $79 seems like a nice option.
Has anybody else got feedback on the Soupy's lowering link?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They tend to break.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the Soupy's on mine to start with and it lowered my bike quite a bit, but as I am 5'3" and 230 lbs I ended up bottoming out on the forks and shock. So we ordered a Penske shock that was the same measurement eyelet to eyelet but sprung for my weight. Then we put Race Tech springs and emulaters up front, and it rides great. After sending my seat to Laam to rebuild I should be able to flat foot it.

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a lowered bike and bringing it back to stock, so I'm selling the Wilbers suspension rear shock (-40 lowering version) it gives the seat a significant drop. It has rebound adjustment unlike the OEM.

Ninjaash801

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride a lowered FZ6 and am female and 5'2". I recommend shaved seat, lowering kit, cut down shock or boots with a heel like the cruiser boots. Thats what I have, works a treat! :) Your feet will hit the ground sooner, giving you some extra stability.
What lowering kit did you use?

Ninjaash801

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I just bought a lovely 2005 FZ6 for myself, I am a female rider, I'm 5'3" and about 110lbs. I've rode motorcycles for about 7 years now, and ride anything from my Yamaha XT 225, to my dad's Harley V-rod. The FZ6 is an upgrade from my little 2007 250cc ninja that I am selling right now.

So with all that said I am in need of some information on the best ways to lower my FZ6, because well I'm only 5'3" and although I can touch both tippie toes and maneuver alright from side to side when I need a full footing stance. I'd rather have a little more stable of a stance for it so I don't run into any problems later on.

I will be shaving down the seat here soon, but would love some information on lowering the forks and maybe even the back suspension too, because I mean I'm ridiculously tinny I don't need full suspension because there's no weight there to really use it...

So any helpful suggestions/advise would be greatly appreciated!
How did you get on with this? My mum is 5’6 and struggles to touch the floor with a shaven seat lol thanks

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you get on with this? My mum is 5’6 and struggles to touch the floor with a shaven seat lol thanks

Here is some info oh how I did it once upon a time.