How not to spill all the oil?

Flyinace1

Reaction score
Visit site
So I changed my oil today for the 2nd time. The 1st time I had the bike on the center stand and the oil completely overshot my pan.
This time I left it on the side stand and same thing, but this time only barely. In both cases I couldn't get my pan in the right spot cause the stands are in the way. How do ya'll do it without making a big mess?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did it successfully.

Once. ;)

I now try to save a Large pizza box to wheel fizzer onto before the oil change. I'll have to try the top fill plug trick next time. :thumbup:

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I make a little funnel shaped tray out of tin foil, works every time. I just bought a Stahlbus drain, so won't have to worry about missing again once I install it.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the oil on my bike too recently and used the funnel to hold the initial gush of oil from the engine, draining into the pan underneath. Once drained, I just wiped the funnel dry and used it to fill up fresh oil. The painful part was draining the used oil from the pan - the small opening of the funnel kept overflowing. Finally had to scoop small quantities into the engine oil cans - messy and took a lot of time.

If anyone else plans to change their oil for the first time, get a funnel with a wide opening, and an oil pan which has a spout - it will save a lot of time and messy cleanup.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: How not to spill all the oil?

I make a little funnel shaped tray out of tin foil, works every time. I just bought a Stahlbus drain, so won't have to worry about missing again once I install it.

I, too, tuck a piece of foil up over the exhaust to make an "oil luge" to channel it down to the pan. Keep it in place for the oil filter to keep spillage to a minimum.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Side stand, fill plug in, cardboard shoot shoved under plug (v shape it) lead it at least 10" out, pull plug w long extension. Never spilled a drop. I level the bike so all the oil comes out, then lean it over again.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I changed my oil today for the 2nd time. The 1st time I had the bike on the center stand and the oil completely overshot my pan.
This time I left it on the side stand and same thing, but this time only barely. In both cases I couldn't get my pan in the right spot cause the stands are in the way. How do ya'll do it without making a big mess?

Wait til you change the coolant:BLAA:

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Side stand, fill plug in, cardboard shoot shoved under plug (v shape it) lead it at least 10" out, pull plug w long extension. Never spilled a drop. I level the bike so all the oil comes out, then lean it over again.
+1 on these comments. I also learned to prop up my drain tub on top of two or three layers of 2 x 4's, so the drain tub is as close as possible to the bottom of the exhaust. That eliminates any spatter as the oil empties in to the plastic drain tub.
- - - Jim

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed the oil on my bike too recently and used the funnel to hold the initial gush of oil from the engine, draining into the pan underneath. Once drained, I just wiped the funnel dry and used it to fill up fresh oil. The painful part was draining the used oil from the pan - the small opening of the funnel kept overflowing. Finally had to scoop small quantities into the engine oil cans - messy and took a lot of time.

If anyone else plans to change their oil for the first time, get a funnel with a wide opening, and an oil pan which has a spout - it will save a lot of time and messy cleanup.

For those without a spout container, to get rid of the old oil from a tray/catch pan (a very cheap, easy trick):

Put a funnel into the old oil container.

Get a small (approx 6" of metal coat hanger). Bend a 110 degree, approx, (more than 90 degree's) in the last inch or so.

Hang that short end into the top of the container, basically wedging it inbetween the funnel and container. You've just vented the container.

Now pour your old oil into the funnel. You'll find it drains MUCH faster, NO burping either as you've NOW allowed the container to bleed air out as the oil goes in.

:thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Or just change it in something concrete, and throw some kitty litter out. But making a funnel out of tin foil is an excellent idea.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I start on the centerstand with a plastic funnel into the drain pan to get it going. Then switch to the sidestand and just the drain pan. The location of the drain plug relative to the side and centerstand is pretty terrible...

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I use one of those gallon oil catch jugs from Autozone
View attachment 47914

And to catch the oil I used a piece of plastic from the container that my clutch cable lube came in. The thin part fits between the headers and engine perfectly so that it creates a funnel/luge to direct the oil into the big center opening of the oil jug
View attachment 47915

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Funnels and tin foil sounds like too much work to me. I just loosen the plug a few turns with a wrench, then hold my drain pan a couple inches below the drain plug while I remove the plug by hand. The oil only shoots out for the first quart or so then you can set the pan on the ground. Never spilled a drop after 8 oil changes on the FZ6.