HEAT WAVE! I'm melting!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok folks, till now i have been trying to ignore it, but i have to post, so others can know what we are dealing with, weather wise in Adelaide right now...one humdinger of a HEAT WAVE!

For those of you that dont know, South Australia is the dryest state, in the dryest continent in this World! We also have stinking hot, dry heat in summer, and in January, or February...or even a bit later into autumn, we can have some hardcore heatwaves...wich is what we are experiencing right now.

It's a ripper heatwave too...not just hot, but record breaking hot!

Here's the Temps from Adelaide for the last few days, and also what we have in the forecast ahead!

Actual Temps:
Tuesday Jan 27: Max: 45.6c (113F), Min: 29.4c (84F)
Wednesday Jan 28: Max: 44.7c (111F), Min: 33.9c (93F)
Thursday Jan 29: Max: 43.7c (109F), Min: 28.4c ( 83F)

The forecast for Adelaide, and surrounds, for today, and the next few days, taken straight from the Bureau of Meteorology website.

Forecast for Friday
Dry. A mostly sunny and very hot day. Light to moderate northerly winds,
becoming light and variable during the afternoon, tending moderate to fresh
southwest to southeast in the late afternoon and evening.

Precis Dry. Mostly sunny.
City: Max 42
Elizabeth: Max 43
Mount Barker: Max 42
Noarlunga: Max 40

UV Alert: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]
Fire Danger: Extreme (Mount Lofty Ranges Fire Ban District)

Forecast for Saturday
Dry. A very hot and mostly sunny day. Light to moderate southeast to northeast
winds, fresh about the hills and southern suburbs before sunrise and in the
evening, tending moderate to fresh southwest to southeast during the afternoon.

Precis Dry. Mostly sunny.
City: Min 25 Max 40

Sunday Dry. Mostly sunny. Min 23 Max 40
Monday Dry. Mostly sunny. Min 22 Max 39
Tuesday Dry. Mostly sunny. Min 22 Max 38
Wednesday Dry. Mostly sunny. Min 22 Max 38
Thursday Dry. Mostly sunny. Min 24 Max 40

That will be in excess of 100F for 10 days!

We are already having rolling power outages around the state, as the Electricity grid cant cope with the heavy loads being put upon it by all the Air-Con units being used. We have had train tracks buckling. The State Government has issued a memo to all Government Departments telling them to open their airconditioned doors to the general public, so they can get a break from the heat.

It is so hot, that even swimming in the pool in the middle of the day is insane...roasted, or broiled, in this case!!! Beaches are deserted in the middle of the day, for the same reason.

The UV index, (how easy it is to get sunburnt) is predicted to reach 11...it normally only go's to 10!!!

Thankfully no major bushfires as yet...but if one starts, and the wind blows up, it's gonna get ugly..so much dry fuel from the drought & the heat.

The other night, Wednesday night, we had Adelaide's hottest ever recorded overnight maximum of 33.9c!

It's even hotter in some of the more remote country area's...temps as high as 53c have been recorded in the last few days!

Remember too these temps are recorded in "the shade"!!!!

There is no humidity to speak of...just dry sweltering heat!

Victoria is also in the grip of a heat wave too, and we are already in a very nasty drought! Water restrictions have been in place for nearly 2 years now!

If it's raining in your part of the World...enjoy it!

:jawdrop:

Fazrrr Girl

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to that! Apparently Melbourne's trains ground to a halt yesterday due to buckling tracks :eek: My cats didn't know what to do with themselves last night. I had to drape them with wet towels, and they seemed to appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 2349

Raining....I would love to send you a few of the 1-3 foot drifts of snow we have lining the roads...and you could send some of that heat to melt this white junk and the rest of the States...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:
Raining....I would love to send you a few of the 1-3 foot drifts of snow we have lining the roads...and you could send some of that heat to melt this white junk and the rest of the States...

What we would'nt give for snow right now!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im hearing you mate , you guys and Melbourne are really copping a floggin' :(....I bet you please dont send it this way , could you just imagine that heat with our summer humidity :eek:..........Stay inside stay cool and umm "refresh" lots with a few Pales :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im hearing you mate , you guys and Melbourne are really copping a floggin' :(....I bet you please dont send it this way , could you just imagine that heat with our summer humidity :eek:..........Stay inside stay cool and umm "refresh" lots with a few Pales :thumbup:

Humidity...hate it! I like the dry heat, but this is pretty crazy! Yes, this coupled with humidity, or a hot north wind, would be unbearable, just about!

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I,m Tasmanian mate,I was not ment to live like this ,lol.
I,m so glad I work in a water factory,never drank this much water in my life !

Just got into my a/c office after working in the factory since 5:30am and I,m stuffed ,got a huge headache and not feeling well at all :(

I been getting in the kids pool and just laying in it every night this week.Its not real big but ok to float in,10 foot across and 4 foot deep.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I,m Tasmanian mate,I was not ment to live like this ,lol.
I,m so glad I work in a water factory,never drank this much water in my life !

Just got into my a/c office after working in the factory since 5:30am and I,m stuffed ,got a huge headache and not feeling well at all :(

I been getting in the kids pool and just laying in it every night this week.Its not real big but ok to float in,10 foot across and 4 foot deep.

Man, that's not good Mick...take it easy Bro. I know Mikey has been doing it hard at his work too, and am guessing big Matt is under distress too..he works in a warehouse!

That kiddie pool, must be feeling like it is worth ever cent you paid for it.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just went and took a 2 minute dip in my pool...i was beyond being stuck to my desk, i was swimming on top of it..swimming in sweat, that is! Going to buy a portable Air Con for my office i think! Beem back in here 2 minutes, an d i am dripping with sweat!

Lovely! :eek:

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone home early from work stating a HEAT related HEADACHE..LOL...My warehouse has NO INSULATION or AIR-CON...I'm starting to feel like a Rotisserie Chicken...All I need is a skewer up my date and the job is DONE....

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about all that heat!!!! those temps are ridiculous!!!!! it gets hot here in Louisiana about 110 degrees last summer,but it would rain a few minutes and then you couldnt breath from the humidity.its like livin in a tropical jungle here.soundin like a desert where your at because of the drought. 2 years of water restrictions!!!!!!! WOW, thats some hard country to live in!!!! I hope it lets up on y'all soon I know the elderly and children cant be holdin up well.my prayers go out for you all there in Australia.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone home early from work stating a HEAT related HEADACHE..LOL...My warehouse has NO INSULATION or AIR-CON...I'm starting to feel like a Rotisserie Chicken...All I need is a skewer up my date and the job is DONE....

You... A roast chicken! Now that's a stretch to imagine! Buffalo, maybe, chicken...never!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jamie,my wife just rang.My suburb has no power,"load shedding"they call it .You could be next so get back in that pool !

load shedding....what a pain!if my beer goes hot, I won't be happy! But seriously, thanks for the heads up Mick.. Might be time to go buy some ice