Headlight not working but High Beams are

rtist

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the dual headlight mod on my fz6 2005

I'm having a strange situation with this bike. - This is my first bike :)

My low beams aren't working but both my high beams are.

Lights are ok and he fuses are ok so i'm assuming it's a wiring problem. However, my dual low beams were working before.
The problem starting happening after one rainy day. If it was working before and all the wiring was correct and then a rainy day happen.
What could be the problem?
All help would be appreciated.

Thank You'll.

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know what type of dual headlight mod you have? That might be an important factor in troubleshooting.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 ^^^.

No dual headlight mod I've heard of has TWO HIGH BEAMS, just two low beams.

Whoever does your wiring, please don't go back there. That or carry a fire extinguisher with you..

DruGus

(non) ClockWorking Fazer
Reaction score
Visit site
I think before starting to test all light related wires, try to use two new bulbs

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Important: A common event when people have a problem with their headlamps is that the FZ6 headlamp circuit does not come on until after the engine has been started. Some people turn the key on and see no headlamps and think the headlights are not working. The engine must be started and then the headlamp circuit becomes active and there is power delivered the the headlamps. If you do have a lamp out this can be confusing when you try to figure out what's going on. You can start the engine which will activate the headlamp circuit and then hit the kill switch to turn off the motor and this will leave the headlamp circuit active for troubleshooting until you turn the key off. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the tutorial i falowed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbmA_qJi3zg

Everything was working great but now only the dual high beams work :(

That procedure is not the standard dual headlight mod and is NOT the best thing for your bike.

Tapping into that wire/using that wire you soldiered into, yes it will light up, HOWEVER, when you flip to HB, it DOES NOT turn off the LB element.

IE, you WILL have two elements burning, which will definitely shorten the life of the bulb and could cause over heating to the housing, possibly overheat the main headlight wire. Your also burning up well over 100 watts in that headlight housing vs 55 or 60 watts..

The BD43 mod uses that RS bulb connector (as you did), BUT routes it to a FACTORY PLUG under the battery tray.

What NOW happens is you have two low beams all the time (with engine on) and when you switch to HB (thru the factory plug), it TURNS OFF the low beam element.

So now you have 2 LB lights, and the factory one side HB bulb. Only ONE bulb element is illuminated at a time..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything was working great but now only the dual high beams work :(

There are normally 2 low beams if the headlamp wiring has been modified. You should have 1 high beam. Do you have a digital volt meter or a 12 volt test light?

Last edited:

rtist

Reaction score
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;IEvub3DgRbk]https://youtu.be/IEvub3DgRbk[/video]

Thanks guys for the help.

I was able to fix this problem after blowing a master fuse and spending $40 on 14gauge wire a
multi-meter and a relay along with 4-5 hours of my life.
I have posted a video on youtube to let you guys know more in dept on the situation.
I'm posting because a lot of time people just reply with thanks guys i fixed it. Leaving
the forum with no solution to help people in the future, who might encounter the same problem.

I went to wally world and bought a multimeter.
tested all the wires (took a while because the previous owner has a lot of tape on them)
all wires seemed fine.
Tested the relays and they all acted normal but i focused mainly on the low beam relay
because thats the one that should be outputting the power.
Tested it with a 9v battery and it acted normal.
Until I tested it with the multimeter and the 9v battery.
Found out that the low beam output wasn't putting out little to any power.
bought the relay
bought 14gauge wire
and fast disconnecters..

replaced the relay and the blown master fuse (fuse25)
and it all worked like a charm.

My guess is that on that rainy day when everything was working fine.
Water got into the relay causing a malfunction inside.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the update, question,

Did you check to see if the low beam filaments go off when the high beam is on and vs versa???

Both elements (one bulb) should NOT be on at the same time...

rtist

Reaction score
Visit site
That procedure is not the standard dual headlight mod and is NOT the best thing for your bike.

Tapping into that wire/using that wire you soldiered into, yes it will light up, HOWEVER, when you flip to HB, it DOES NOT turn off the LB element.

IE, you WILL have two elements burning, which will definitely shorten the life of the bulb and could cause over heating to the housing, possibly overheat the main headlight wire. Your also burning up well over 100 watts in that headlight housing vs 55 or 60 watts..

The BD43 mod uses that RS bulb connector (as you did), BUT routes it to a FACTORY PLUG under the battery tray.

What NOW happens is you have two low beams all the time (with engine on) and when you switch to HB (thru the factory plug), it TURNS OFF the low beam element.

So now you have 2 LB lights, and the factory one side HB bulb. Only ONE bulb element is illuminated at a time..

I think you are correct on this. ima have to look into that mod... http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

looks quiet complicated...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are correct on this. ima have to look into that mod... http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

looks quiet complicated...

The BD43 mod uses the factory harness and turns off the RS bulb going from low to high and vs versa so ONLY ONE ELEMENT is ON .

Its USES ONE WIRE, no cutting, no hacking, no relays, literally plug and play..

Its NOT difficult at all ( I installed it probably 5 years ago.). The hardest part is getting under the battery box, take your time, take notes.

IMO, it appears all 4 of your filaments are burning when on high beam (NOT GOOD). Besides shortening the bulb life, drawing way too much voltage, I wouldn't trust that set up as it could very well be a fire hazard

rtist

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow I just took a 're look at the procedures of doing this mod. I thought it was complicated because of the soldering and having to make the wire. I think I can buy it or make it without soldering . If so I might make a video on how to do it. You are correct about it burning it up. Hazardous . I understand what the mod does now. It basically activates the low beam for right side bulb while switch is on low beam, while activing the left high beam while the high beam switch is on.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it just basically illuminates both low beams till the HB is turned on..No more "winky"

I don't remember what is in that thread but there is NO soldiering. You can make your own cable/wire but you need the correct ends for the bulb and for the Yamaha OEM connector.

IMO, BD43 figured it out and it looks very much factory. I preferred to just buy his, at least for his efforts and time designing this very popular mod..

rtist

Reaction score
Visit site
After taking a further look into this mod. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't do dual high beams. It just does a right high beam and left low beam while high beam is switched on. Would it be ok to completely discard all the wiring for the left bulb and splice into the wiring from the right bulb? Also he belt his wire recommending 16 or 18 guage wire. Is 14 ok ? Sorry I'm not really good with wiring. Thank you .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are correct about the lights. You still only have ONE high beam with this mod.

With this said, the reflector in the housing really isn't designed for a HB bulb (lighting function).

Also, the extra watts available for the bike are very limited.

IMO, the BD43 mod is VERY SAFE and ride-able in about all conditions. Jumping/hot wiring, potentially overloading a circuit alone is not worth it.

Just to add, for extra light, I up graded to PIAA higher output bulbs, which for me, are plenty, even with just one HB bulb working. The lumen output is higher than stock but draws the same... Halogen Motorcycle Bulbs