Has anyone seen a single exhaust mod on FZ6?

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see the point to be honest, to make it look half decent you will need to replace the black part that surrounds the pipe and I doubt anyone makes a single version.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just thinking that it is cheaper to get a single vs a dual exhaust. I am just thinking out loud if you could? I know I could get a set of slip ons for under $500 US on some sites.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
That M4 exhaust is pretty cool.
Would be easy just to remove the plastic exhaust divider.

If its costs discgolfdude,pick up some s/h ones.I've only bought new for one of the dozens of bikes I've owned :thumbup:

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my Leovince's for 430 euro incl shipping.. how much cheaper can you get? :thumbup:

If you're gonna do it.. do it right! I bought the bike (among other reasons) because it has two awesome exhaust pipes under the tail.. love it! I just don't like it when one big pipe comes from under the tail.. but that's personal I guess :rolleyes:

Ewhite6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen/contemplating putting on some r6 headers then using any generic side exhaust can. I rode with a guy that had a stock cbr600rr undertail pipe and a custom pipe done, it sounded deeper but not loud.

Side note you will normally get trashed on this forum for thinking outside the box, and not forking over the big money for brand name stuff.

Just my 2 cents...

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
I have seen/contemplating putting on some r6 headers then using any generic side exhaust can. I rode with a guy that had a stock cbr600rr undertail pipe and a custom pipe done, it sounded deeper but not loud.

Side note you will normally get trashed on this forum for thinking outside the box, and not forking over the big money for brand name stuff.

Just my 2 cents...

Just on that.. I don't think for one second that people on this forum are the way you see them. I've had a very nice time while I've been here, and think it's an awesome community, if you have stupid ideas, then yeah, I think you could get some stupid replies. Stuff like this though? Seems fair enough for me. It all seems like personal preference.

But you've always got to remember, one persons idea of a perfect bike, isn't necessarily the next persons, and some people get caught up in their own perfect bike that they can forget other people have different opinions.

Single undertail exhausts look good on some bikes (fireblade!), I just think the FZ6 looks great with TWO exhausts :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have done it....leaves a dirty big gap either side, you have to modify the seat surround, and tail light mount, put on a new custom exhaust hanger bracket, etc, etc, not that hard to do, hard to make it look good though!

To do it properly, i think you need to modify the whole seat unit....i am in the process of playing with this idea right now....changing the bike to a different seat unit, with no pillion accomodation, and the ability to fit a single pipe, without having the weird gap either side....

here's some photo's of my first attempt....
View attachment 31098

View attachment 31099

View attachment 31100

View attachment 31101

there is a thread i posted up about how i did it, but do yiou think i can find it!!!

:thumbup:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question then. I had thought 4 into one exhaust was better then 4 into 2 or 4 as far as performance goes? What about the Moto GP guys. Aren't most 4 into 1 setups? I really don't like the looks of the 4 into 1 on the FZ6 but that's my own opinion. That's my mod this winter. Decide which way to go with my exhaust. Thanks for the pictures and opinions. :thumbup:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
In general 4:1 is better for top end while 4:2:1 is more low-mid. This is just concerning the headers though, not the mufflers. I have never seen an FZ6 or R6 with a 4:1 header, even the race full exhausts have 4:2:1.

Here is Arrow's race header for the R6, you can see it is 4:2:1.
asp%20hd%201000RR%2004%20mgp-2.jpg

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have a question then. I had thought 4 into one exhaust was better then 4 into 2 or 4 as far as performance goes? What about the Moto GP guys. Aren't most 4 into 1 setups? I really don't like the looks of the 4 into 1 on the FZ6 but that's my own opinion. That's my mod this winter. Decide which way to go with my exhaust. Thanks for the pictures and opinions. :thumbup:

The long and short of it is you aren't going to affect engine performance without changing the header and all of the plumbing in between that and the muffler. 2-3 ponies out of removing the CAT, going to a less restrictive intake and can is all due to removing restriction, rather than re-tuning the system as a whole.

Equal length head pipes only help so much.... the point at which the exhaust from one cylinder aids drawing in charge to another, and then helps hold that charge in place due to the shock wave is all a function of how far from the cylinder head the cross over tubes are. Typically, #1 aids #2, 3 aids 4. The higher in RPM you want that assistance, the closer to the head the crossover tubes need to be.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done it....leaves a dirty big gap either side, you have to modify the seat surround, and tail light mount, put on a new custom exhaust hanger bracket, etc, etc, not that hard to do, hard to make it look good though!

To do it properly, i think you need to modify the whole seat unit....i am in the process of playing with this idea right now....changing the bike to a different seat unit, with no pillion accomodation, and the ability to fit a single pipe, without having the weird gap either side....

here's some photo's of my first attempt....
View attachment 31098

View attachment 31099

View attachment 31100

View attachment 31101

there is a thread i posted up about how i did it, but do yiou think i can find it!!!

:thumbup:

Wolf, Ive looked for the thread as well and can't find it. I have this in my crosshairs, any insight from ONE WHO KNOWS would be priceless...

Anyone Bueller Bueller

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to investigate putting a single low level can on instead. Maybe something like the R6 silencer, I could lock the powervalve thingy open or even remove the innards, cut the pipe just after the 4 into 1 join before it goes up vertical and make a bracket to fit on the right side footrest hangar. I put a silly bid on an R6 can on fleabay and got it (£20) so when it arrives will match it all up and see how it goes. If it's a non starter I will put the can back up for auction. Might try to fill some of the gap where the old exhaust was by moving the number plate up. If I get it done I'll post some pics. Anyone done anything similar, I have seen an XJ6 done like this but not an FZ6

SteliosAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought the bike with twin undertail GPR GPE Titan exhausts. I just think it looks so much sexier with a single side exhaust.
Also, more pressure resulted in more torque needed in lower rpm starting from 6000rpm..best mod. Period!
The hollow undertail part will soon be covered with a fibre glass piece so it will look nice and tidy.
Cost was 110 euros for the single exhaust pipe and fitting. Fibre glass undertail cover and paint around 50 euros.160 euros well spent on the most eye catching mod to your FZ6. Not to mention the torque gain. No mapping necessary either.

20180305_005028-800x761.jpg

20180305_005114-768x858.jpg

Attachments

• 20180305_005028.jpg
    20180305_005028.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Fireman71

Reaction score
Visit site
I swapped my RS3 Yoshomira Pipe from my older Suzuki SV650S onto my 06 FZ6. A little custom fab was needed, but not too hard as I've a Lincon welder in the shop. Where the left side was empty i made a 4" cylinder w a cap end that holds tools and first aid gear. I take some photo's soon.