Greetings from Sacramento

Heywood

Reaction score
Visit site
Just picked up a 2006 FZ6 yesterday. 10k mi on the odo, plastics are great shape and it's never been down. Got a pretty darn good deal for this area considering some seem to think their stored outside, rashed bike with 30k mi on the odo and no maintenance performed is worth $3200 :thumbdown:
It needed new tires, went with S21's, as the 11 yo Conti RA's ride like crap and well.. they're 11 yo. but other than that it just needed some TLC. The only major foreseeable mod will be new fork springs but I'll start with some 7wt or 10wt oil to slow the rebound.
However it does have one issue I need to run down. When cold, on startup it seems (to me anyways as compared to my 2015 Versys) that it cranks a bit long to start and it stumbles off of idle when the throttle is blipped or you start riding immediately. After 1 min or less the issue is gone. Any ideas? It's idling around 1075 rpm with a quick drop into the high 900's then back up again.
The only other thing I'm trying to find is what bulbs are in the f/r turn signals, I can't seem to find out what model number they are. Anybody have this info?
Here's some pic's:
Most everything that looks like a scratch are just reflections after a coat of wax.
trACyag.jpg

9qJSblC.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum! Here is a link to a parts for the lamps. Unfortunately the picture does not show the correct lamp. Although the part they ship for the lamp should be correct. The front lamps are different than the rear lamps although there the front and rear stalks look the same. The front bulbs have dual filaments. One for running light and one for directional signal. The rear lamp has only one filament for directional signal. The base of the bulbs are glass with wire type contacts. Some where on the forum I've posted pictures of these lamps. https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004560ef8700209bc792f40/flasher-light

Last edited:

jdmlude

Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced mine w S21's as well when I picked it up a couple months back. Great tire even in the cold. I've had it at full tilt in 40-50 degrees with no issues. My chicken strips are only about 1-2mm. What did you pay for yours?

Heywood

Reaction score
Visit site
Replaced mine w S21's as well when I picked it up a couple months back. Great tire even in the cold. I've had it at full tilt in 40-50 degrees with no issues. My chicken strips are only about 1-2mm. What did you pay for yours?

$186 for the pair +tax, free ship.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

jdmlude

Reaction score
Visit site
$186 for the pair +tax, free ship.

haha, I meant for the bike? I agree, people typically overprice their high mileage FZ's like it belonged to Rossi or something. Found one a couple miles from me advertised for $3500, 2009 with 9k miles. I offered 2500 and he accepted. I was ecstatic!

Heywood

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job that's a good price and exactly what I paid for this one. $2500. Sorry we were talking tires when you asked how much. lol
Here's what i spend my weekend working on:
I was doing some basic maintenance and changing the oil. The PO warned me about this issue but had no idea it was this bad. I bought it from the second owner and he gave the shop he bought it from the what for when he discovered this. Apparently the story goes the 1st owner didn't put a drop of oil on the filter gasket before cranking it down and it seized to the block. Check out the damage he did trying to get the filter off. I'm trying to fill in some of the major gouges with some JB weld. Here's the before and after photos.
PvXLPTO.png

After:
Knocked down the high spots and filled with high temp JB weld and re-filed / sanded.
l0dxqbH.jpg

I put some layout fluid on the oil filter gasket and screwed it on to find the contact area.
EWNSZDJ.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you might be good with a seal. You might want to lube the oil filter gasket with a silicone base grease. You could get a little snugger contact and some insurance that the gasket will not be seized.

Looks like a big squirrel got the stuck filter off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! Someone needs their screw driver and hammer taken away from them!!

Looks like you did a good job with the JB weld which should work.

Re the front bulbs, theirs one screw under the assembly to remove the lens, then you have access to the bulb. As I re-call, I think the bulb pulls out (but you'll see it with the lens off). You should be able to get them locally(nothing special).

IMO, I WANT the front running lights, just for better visibility at night and would leave them on.

And welcome to the forum!!