FZ6 vs V-Strom vs Suzuki gsx650f

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I`m without a mount and have been looking again.
Need your help deciding on which to buy.
What is your opinion of the three above all things considered?.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I had a 06 650 Vstrom and now I have an 09 FZ6 and its kind of a toss up. I had the strom set up so the wind blast was minimal and the suspension was great on the crap roads around San Bernardino. That being said I'm having a blast on the Fizzer, nothing like the top end rush when you get over 8k and for around town it makes a pretty good street fighter. I like the seat height and just the overall feel of the bike. So I guess I would tend toward the FZ.

Jerry

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Wavex said something in another post that went something like:

(paraphrasing) Whichever bike you end up with, it'll be the perfect bike for you beacuse they are all good.

He's right. You're gonna love your new bike, and the tiny incremental positives and negatives between the three you are looking at won't mean a thing when you are out on the road enjoying yourself.

Having said that: Get the FZ6. Heck, you're already somewhat committed to the FZ6 by being here. ;):D

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i was close to going the gsx650f route before i bought the fz6. I liked it. I guess i didnt buy one because i couldnt find one in my price range. Its a little more bulky though. If i had to nit pick i dont understand why it only sports a 160 tire. Nice bike.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
If i had to nit pick i dont understand why it only sports a 160 tire. Nice bike.

I think that's a good point. Maybe it's just psychological, but it's more confidence-inspiring to have that bigger contact patch out back. That's part of what kept me from buying an SV650. It seems like a huge chunk of modern sportbikes have a 180-55 rear.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is the lightest and the fastest.

The V-Strom is more of an adventure tourer to me and may be a little tall for some riders. Nice bike if you can get into the styling of it.

The 650 is a bit heavy (about 75lbs more than FZ6) but does provide good wind protection. It has a more sportbike resemblance than the others.

Go and see what seems to fit you best. The FZ6 and Wee-Strom could likely be found used for not too much but I personally haven't seen many of the GSX650's for sale. :thumbup:

Skeezix

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. Exactly what I was gonna say. Get yourself a 2007 FZ6, or slightly used Wee-Strom and save a bundle of cash. Both bikes will serve you well, but you may also want to consider the Kawasaki Versys, or the Ducati Multistrada 620. Both of those can be had used for less than $5,000 and are very, very similar to the Wee-Strom and the FZ6. In fact, I consider those 4 bikes to be heavily cross-shopped as ‘Adventure Sport’ bike for someone looking at a do-it-all machine with a midsized motor. Hope this helps.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The V-strom is a great bike. Both it and the FZ6 can be set up for comfortable touring. It's also lower maintenance than the Strom (although the difference isn't huge). A lot of it comes down to whether you want an I-4 or a twin. I was tired of twins, so I went with the FZ6. NO REGRETS at all.

I wasn't impressed with the GSX650F (although the gear indicator is a nice feature on it). It just doesn't seem as versatile as the other two. I also prefer the semi-naked look (and functionality) of the V-Strom and the FZ6.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
First, thanks too all for your input.
I know each bike has its own special characteristics and in the end i`ll have to decide which will suite my riding preferences best.

V-Strom: pros ; good low end torque, comfortable, engine maintenance cost should be lower, good wind protection, long range per fill.
cons; kinda ugly, seat height too much for some riders, less overall power than FZ6 and Gsxf, V-twin engines usually vibrate when pulling from a dead stop.

GSXF; pros; smooth engine, good wind protection, good looks, good tranny, a fun smooth ride.
cons; cost; kinda hard to find used, heavy, overall quality "especially" rear brakes on Suzukies suspect compared to Honda and Yamaha.

FZ6: looks good, fast, Yamaha quality, reasonable comfort with good seat height, proven engine, reasonable weight, can find used if look hard.
cons; model ends production, engine buzz can be annoying, not cheap for a 600cc.

ps; I am obviously an FZ6 fan but the engine buzz concerns me. Exactly how bad is it?. I had a smooth v four V-Max that spoiled me. After that I had a 1400 Intruder. The Intruder was a good bike but, I never was fond of how it vibrated.
Also, as far as the FZ6 is concerned, with Yamaha dropping this model, do you think it will be hard to get parts etc., down the road?. Is the engine on the FZ6R and FZ6 one and the same?. Thinking about parts availability in the future.

thanks ice

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
the buzz isn't that bad. i came from a v-twin and was worried about the buzz. the only thing i really noticed was in my hands. i got a set of grip puppies and now i don't notice anything. i'm sure there are smoother bikes out there... but this bike is pretty smooth in my opinion.

as for the model not being around... the bike i had before was an 83 gl650. it was made in 83. i never had a hard time finding parts. by law yamaha has to make parts available for 7 or 10 years. then there are always going to be parts bikes and so forth. i don't think you have much to worry about on that end.

honestly, i'd go sit on these three bikes and see which one feels best to you. and if you can go for a test ride that's even better.

good luck on the search.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that's a good point. Maybe it's just psychological, but it's more confidence-inspiring to have that bigger contact patch out back. That's part of what kept me from buying an SV650. It seems like a huge chunk of modern sportbikes have a 180-55 rear.
I've run times on that little 160 on an SV at a major track that would qualify for Formula Extreme\Daytona Sportbike and others are much faster than me on it. I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor! Plus, the 160 is less expensive.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I has a V65 Sabre (VF1100S) in '85.... similar plant to the V Max, just a bit smaller. I put 52K miles on that one.

The FZ6 has comparable engine vibration. There is a very slight buzz in the mirrors when you romp on the gas and wrap it out towards red line. Normal engine speeds, it's (IMHO) quite smooth.

My Suzuki Marauder (VF800C) had quite a bit more vibe. Not a huge amount, but more.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
You might want to add the Versys to your comparison list if you are interested more in the touring aspect. I cross-shopped this bike in '08. Ended up buying the FZ6 but if the styling was a bit better at the time I think I might have bought the Kawasaki. The new 2010 has some improvements to function and styling that seem to sharpen up the whole package.

The FZ6 has been a great bike though and I have no problem recommending it, espcially if you want the extra power and more sporting capabilities compared to the other bikes....and the quality of this bike is top-notch IMO.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was also looking at those 3 bikes before choosing the FZ. The V-Strom seemed top heavy (tall) for me. I felt like I was on top of the bike instead of "in" it, if that makes sense. I really liked the GSX650F but the extra weight concerned me, but I think that I would have overcome that. But I think that the combined light weight, looks, hp, and fit and finish of the FZ6 sold me on it, and I couldn't be happier.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently had a test ride on a BMW 1200GS, similar ish to the vstrom i suppose. Was great, comfy, quick, handled amazing. But once i got back on the FZ6 i wanted to keep the wee yamaha. For me the FZ6 is halfway between a tourer and a sports bike.

Comfy, just firm enough to give good feedback and has a great thrill or riding.

Im looking at gettin a vstrom 650 for 2up touring tho, since they are amazing on fuel and uber reliable.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again for all the advice.
No one answered my question about the FZ6R and FZ6. Are engine parts interchangeable?.
I have experienced problems getting parts for autos that have been discontinued. All they have to say is, we don`t have them in stock. "Maybe" we can special order you one, but it will cost you.