Fz6 general electrical issues

Atourdeforce

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this forum and just picked up a 2007 fz6 a couple of weeks back. She's a bit rough around the edges hence the cheap price (900$). It's a project bike to do some touring this summer around Ireland.

Anyway, the first issue I had with it was the rectifier. The diodes must of blown because it wasn't charging the battery at all. I replaced it with a cheap one (35$) I got on eBay from China and seems fine now. Have any of you used the cheap rectifiers? Do they last?

While I had the bike apart I also installed a USB charger with a voltmeter so that should tell me if there's charging problems while riding.
I did a video for YouTube on the install but don't wanna get banned from here for posting links.

Any advice on this particular model is much appreciated and if you know of any other common problems on this model of bike please let me know.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 generally has a pretty weak charging system. it is fine in stock form but once you start adding accessories that use power the charging rate is razor thin. You have the right idea using a voltmeter. Also if the battery gets weak the bike will chug and bog.. easily fixed by having a healthy battery. Good luck with your touring. There aren't a whole lot of other issues I can tell you about. the bike was really excellent for the 9 years 40k miles I put on it.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=9988]FB400[/MENTION] is right about the charging system. But there are things you can do to improve the situation. For example, if you bike has a dual headlight mod and you have incandescent bulbs, make sure it is shutting off the low beam in the H4 bulb when the high beam is on. Aside from saving power it will also lenghten the life of the H4 bulb.

And better still, replace ALL the incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Headlights, tail light, turn signals, license plate light. EVERYTHING. Every watt you save is one that can be used elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While the charging system is not the strongest, I have to dis-agree with the above...

I have the BD43 dual headlight mod and Hyper tail lights.

NO-LEDs but aftermarket PIAA headlight bulbs.

I also have my idle set at 1,100, not 1,300. (lower charging as well)

Here is a video I made some time ago, cold start, with the charging voltage a bit over 12.8 (a fully charged battery) at idle, both headlights on, HIGH BEAM as well. You can see charging voltages rise quickly and NEVER drops below 12.8.

Un-less your running heated gear (I have as well)-just turn it off if at a stop light for awhile if running the gear on high. (Widder vest and gauntlet gloves)

It's been set as such for almost ten years now...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/29303851750/

*The only real thing to watch for is correct tension for the drive chain (It's looser than most bikes). Otherwise, the bike's pretty much bullet proof..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!

One thing to keep in mind is the USB charger will usually still be drawing current if you are not on a switched circuit that disables the USB when the key is off. Also if you use the kill switch to shut the engine off you must remember to turn the ignition switch to the off position otherwise current will still be actively drawn.

klimber

Reaction score
Visit site
Although I've only recently picked up an FZ6, I'll chime in with my general motorcycle experience;

On older motorcycles (vehicles in general), especially ones that have gotten wet a (parked outside uncovered) or have had custom re-wiring done poorly, electrical systems will experience higher current draws, which will increase demand on the charging system and regulator/rectifier (R/R). While replacing normal lights with LED's will reduce current, as I understand it the regulator will have to shunt MORE current into heat, which is a factor in pre-maturely burning out R/R's. (The lower current draw somewhat offsets this effect).

While replacing the failing R/R with a cheap replacement part will get you back on the road, I'd imagine that its tolerances are less than an OEM or higher-quality aftermarket brand. If you are certain you have a strong battery/stator, keep the battery on a tender, and check the voltage periodically, you should be fine. However, if you are going on a long trip and want to be sure the system will function through rain and/or hot temperatures, I'd consider carrying a spare R/R, or investing in a higher quality replacement part.

(You can also burn through a high-quality replacement by consistently running low voltages or weak batteries).

Hope this helps.

K

Atourdeforce

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi thanks for the replies everyone.

There's a crack in the front light casing and the back lights are hangng off so I will be replacing those along with putting LED lights in.

I'm glad I purchased the USB charger with voltmeter in it. Keeps me informed of the battery condition in real time. It's switched too.

The bike came with heated grips but I disconnected them from the battery as I've no use for them for the moment.

Might be no harm in changing the battery too.

I hope those cheap Chinese r/r's hold up but I'll probably buy a spare just in case.

Again thanks for the replies.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything that can be sorted out with the help if an electrician because my friend is an electrician and i don't want to spend much on others? If yes please let me know.

Mark, welcome to the forum. I think you might need to be more specific with your question. What is the problem you are having with the bike? From there we can tell you if an electrician (like a house electrician?) or a mechanic would be helpful.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mark, welcome to the forum. I think you might need to be more specific with your question. What is the problem you are having with the bike? From there we can tell you if an electrician (like a house electrician?) or a mechanic would be helpful.

Additionally electrical theory can be experienced at many different levels of understanding. In simple terms automotive/motorcycle understanding of electrical is a different field but does not mean a commercial electrician would not be able to understand, troubleshoot and repair a motorcycle electrical problem.

"220 .... 221....What ever it takes" (Mr. Mom)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Additionally electrical theory can be experienced at many different levels of understanding. In simple terms automotive/motorcycle understanding of electrical is a different field but does not mean a commercial electrician would not be able to understand, troubleshoot and repair a motorcycle electrical problem.

"220 .... 221....What ever it takes" (Mr. Mom)

Looks like something strange happened here.
Should I contact him about converting my stator to 208vac 3 phase?
Blah

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can"t remember how many 3 wires that have left people scratching their heads. Lol!

They are very simple but I still get calls and when they say,"Who's on first?" I know they're wiring a 3 way...

HDiPW.png