Fuel Gauge blinking ... please help

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys ... its been long enough riding around and not knowing how much fuel I have left.

My fuel gauge "blinks" - all 8 or 9 bars blink in unison every second. It started well before I added the PC-III. And the tank has been off several times and I've checked all connectors.

Should disconnect battery (to reset ECU)? do i take it to dealer (ugh!).

PS - I'm my own tweaker, first thing i do is buy a manual for my bike - but it doesn't list this symptom anywhere.

thanks for any help.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd guess that there's a broken wire, or a pin that is unseated in one of the connectors. Or the fuel gauge itself has failed......

If your trip odometer still works, you don't really need the gauge, right? Just refill when you hit 120 or 130 miles....

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
mine did the same thing...my problem was that the floater arm popped off...there is a thin metal piece that runs along a gauge that reads the level...maybe that is not touching for some reason?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would disconnect the gas level sender wire at the bottom of the tank (not the fuel pump. Turn on the ignition (do not start) at check the gauge. Then put a jumper inbetween those two wires and check and see if the gauge registers full.

If it does read full, your problem is in the sending unit (could very well be the float arm disconnected). Its pretty rare for the windings to wear out in the sending unit and more likely the float is off or is binding in the tank(possibly jambed up against the side of the tank in the low end of the tank.

I'd siphon / remove most of the gas from the tank and see if you can see the float / float arm. If you can, use a coat hanger modified (bent with a small hoook at the end) to see if the float arm will come up easily (it should).

Good luck.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Townsend,

I did not have any problems with my fuel gauge in the time I owned my FZ6; you mentioned potential jamming of the float in the tank. Would the arm possibly get bent due to someone having removed and replaced the pump/sending unit?

+1 on using a coat hangar to see if you can get it unstuck..... that's the kind of thing I come here to learn, LOL.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Townsend,

I did not have any problems with my fuel gauge in the time I owned my FZ6; you mentioned potential jamming of the float in the tank. Would the arm possibly get bent due to someone having removed and replaced the pump/sending unit?

+1 on using a coat hangar to see if you can get it unstuck..... that's the kind of thing I come here to learn, LOL.

Someone posted about a month ago about the same problem. The previous owner apparently had it apart and his homemade clip, to keep the actual float attached to the arm, came loose..

I would look in the tank before removing the fuel pump(with sending unit) as its kind of a PIA until you do a couple of them.

Its supposed to come out in 2 parts after un-doing a retaining clip (inside the tank). Going back into the tank, the entire assembly goes in as one piece.

I personally have been able to get it out as one unit, (replacing the tank as it was wrecked by the previous owner) it was EXTREMLY TIGHT. How it came out without breaking something, just lucky. Once out you could see where and how the clip attaches and you can see the sending unit separatly. I know the sending unit cannot be purchased new alone, it comes with the pump.

Its most likely in the arm or float mechanism (if all his wires are tied in and attached properly)..

vegasboy

Reaction score
Visit site
your goin 2 love this one day it just stopped doing it i know there are 2 wires inside the tank fuel pump the bike takes a drop bingo my problem is a moran hung my bike frome a chain hook by the crown smashing my harness i now havesome exsposed wires but lately orange light shuts off turn key off then on after moving the wires bingo runs how much is that goin to coast to reconnect the morans damage

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
your goin 2 love this one day it just stopped doing it i know there are 2 wires inside the tank fuel pump the bike takes a drop bingo my problem is a moran hung my bike frome a chain hook by the crown smashing my harness i now havesome exsposed wires but lately orange light shuts off turn key off then on after moving the wires bingo runs how much is that goin to coast to reconnect the morans damage

What?

You need to be a little more specific with your problem.

Also, if you could type in several sentences (instead of one long run on sentence) it would be easier to understand and perhaps get help....

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

128665372654153300.jpg

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
Townsends ... thanks for your suggestions. Here's an update - I did remove the tank once again and inspect all wire. I then did the following (not recommended that you do this on Thanksgiving morning):

First
- disconnected the battery for 15 mins, see if an ECU reset would do the trick
NO LUCK

Second
Disconnect PC-III and check again.
NO LUCK

Third (not recommended for the rookie)
- flip tank upside down and carefully remove fuel pump (with tank 3/4 full of gas :(
- I had to unclip the float assembly and unclip the "upper" part of the pump from "lower" (w/o dropping this back into the tank for of gas)
- inspected float assembly and contact gauge ... this looked good
- created a manual wire jumper to re-connect the float/gauge to the harness, i wanted to see if a loose contact, etc. could be the issue - this resulted in no change to the blinking lights
- carefully put this all back together and reinstalled the pump (there were plenty of expletives flying around my garage - not sure why yamaha makes this so you can't just drop it in - its like an orgami puzzle to work this delicate assembly back into place - because of a little plastic "fob" that makes this too large for the hole -- arrgh!!)
- i was quite convinced that i bent the crap out of the float arm, etc. - but got it back into place (PS - should have marked the bolt pattern when removing to ensure easier install ;)

Got the tank back on - reconnected everything and I still have Fuel gauge blinking in 8x repetition - absolutely no change. I took a 5 min spin to ensure I didn't screw anything up with the pump, etc.

So - I'm gonna try the jumper trick and see if the gauge does anything. If that doesn't work ... i don't know what to do.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you try jumping the wiring harness (for the fuel gauge connector only) and check for any changes?

The only other thing I could find (out of my 07 owners manual) is the symptoms your bike is displaying is that "the electrical curcuit is defective" (page 3-6). 8 flashes, pauses for 3 seconds and repeats...

I'm out if suggestions if all of those failed. I do have an 07 FZ6 manual as a PDF file if that would help. Just PM with an address to send it to...

Last edited:

FZSnake6

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks ... I purchased a manual when i bought the bike. I have seen this "8 times flashing" in other posts ... but am unable to locate this in my manual.

I have combed through every possible section - do you have a chapter-page # to reference?

thanks again

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks ... I purchased a manual when i bought the bike. I have seen this "8 times flashing" in other posts ... but am unable to locate this in my manual.

I have combed through every possible section - do you have a chapter-page # to reference?

thanks again

In my 2007 OWNERS MANUAL (not the shop manual), on page 3-6 states that. It may be on a different page being yours is an 06 model. It should be in your owners manual (that came with the bike). From my 2007 manual:

Last edited:

chrisdot1

Reaction score
Visit site
i can nearly guarantee that it is the +ve connector on the fuel sensor, Unfortuneately this requires removing pump, its not that difficult, there is one wee bit that u have to watch u have to unclip the sensor from the pump before the pump will come out ( its up the back of the sensor against the pump then push up straight as u dont want to break the wee top silde clip). Once out all u do is push the clip down whilst pushing little metal bit at back of clip. if the circuit board black bit is worn badly then u can move it to the right hand position, i did this because the bit of circuit board had worn away. but if yers is ok then just wet n dry the +ve metal contact not the board!!!)

not the 8 times flashing....ive replyied to problem post was started about......soz

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In my 2007 OWNERS MANUAL (not the shop manual), on page 3-6 states that. It may be on a different page being yours is an 06 model. It should be in your owners manual (that came with the bike). From my 2007 manual:

From my '04 manual (same as 06, right?):

This fuel meter is equipped with a selfdiagnosis system. If the electrical circuit
is defective, first the display segments and then either “E” or “F” will flash. If
this occurs, have a Yamaha dealer check the electrical circuit.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i am bumping this old ass thread just to leave this info as i had the same problem. gauge blinking, all bars. stop for a few seconds, blinking again. showing empty, reserve odo going off and on, and after a few days tachometer sometimes "resetting" while riding or bumping the bike off the center stand. also, left front blinker not working after several days

messed with wire harness from left front blinker which intersected with more wiring connected to....who knows what? noticed when moving harness up blinker would work. traced harness / wires up and rear on left side of inner faring to two pin connectors (those white plastic electrical connectors found all over our bikes). one of the connectors had come loose and was not making full contact with another. snapped it back in place and fuel gauge, odo, tach, and blinker all functioning as normal :)

i leave this here because it all started with the fuel gauge blinking and i noticed nothing more. this was for around 9 days. if you are having that problem you may want to check the left side inner fairing at these connections first

unless my bike was somehow rigged differently after a repair, or something? my gauge cluster is not original. but if not, there 'ya go

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to take apart those two connectors about 6 months ago(forgot for what), but they were a major PIA to get apart. And I am familiar with these connectors. Going back together, they clicked easily.

I guess who ever had it apart last didn't fully re-connect it.. Glad you found it..:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
S2: left side connectors are gauges and lighting. From local album -->
FinalImpact's Profile > Albums > Bike P o r n

picture.php

picture.php

I don't recall seeing the connector you speak of. The grey housing 3 pin connectors are the run and turn lamps. I added white connectors for POD lamps. The headlamps branch beyond the larger connectors. Was it right under the gauge cluster? I've never had that out.

Here is the whole harness from an S2 on fleebay. Thoughts?
attachment.php