Fly Racing - How is the quality?

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a coworker who can get me 50% off anything from Fly Racing. I was looking at their Fifty5 Jacket and possibly some gloves.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with their gear and the quality.

Thanks!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Fly mesh jacket, I think it's the CoolPro. I really like it.

The fit is good. It's wearing in well - meaning not wearing out. It breathes well.

My only complaint is that the main zipper pull broke off. I replaced that with a small key-ring ring. That works fine. The rain liner seems a bit flimsy and is NOT comfy as it is basically just a plastic film.

As I understand it, FLY is well known in the motocross world and only recently started getting into the market for street bike gear.

I also have a heavier Tourmaster jacket. The Fly does not have the same level of quality, but it's pretty good.

Chris

Last edited:

ltdillard

commutaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased one of their summer mesh jackets on sale, I think the 7th Street model. It is a great summer all mesh jacket. The main complaint was I thought the armor was not the best quality. I swapped out the pads from my older model Joe Rocket into it. Other than that I think it was a good buy (at the sale price).

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased one of their summer mesh jackets on sale, I think the 7th Street model. It is a great summer all mesh jacket. The main complaint was I thought the armor was not the best quality. I swapped out the pads from my older model Joe Rocket into it. Other than that I think it was a good buy (at the sale price).

I am looking for a summer jacket. I've got a pretty heavy leather that I like for fall and spring but am thinking I'll want something else in the summer (only ridden in the fall so far..). Based on their current models, I'm thinking the Flux Air Mesh or Cool Pro II would suffice.

Coolpro II Black Jacket | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts
Flux Air Mesh Black/Cream Jacket | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts

Then again, I am getting it 50% off so I was also thinking just to go for the Fifty5 which would be $130. Just can't tell it it would be too hot in the summer - has 2 shoulder vents and a rear vent.

Fifty5 Black Jacket | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Fly 8th street mesh jacket and agree the quality is not on par with some of the more well known brands. The armor seems a little flimsy and there is not much to the interior liner at all. But with that being said it is still good gear for a person on a budget. I would see if you could try on the jacket you were looking at before you buy.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Fly makes really good products. they came on the scene about 8 years ago, and offered really kick @$$ products for killer prices to build a reputation. their prices have since gone up to match the competition since they are now an established company, but the products are still good quality. if i were you id spend the same amount of $$$ that you would normally be willing to and get a higher end piece of gear with the discount. its always good to get a deal but its even better to get a good deal on killer gear

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Fly makes really good products. they came on the scene about 8 years ago, and offered really kick @$$ products for killer prices to build a reputation. their prices have since gone up to match the competition since they are now an established company, but the products are still good quality. if i were you id spend the same amount of $$$ that you would normally be willing to and get a higher end piece of gear with the discount. its always good to get a deal but its even better to get a good deal on killer gear

I'm just gonna go for it - and get some gloves while I am at it. I am looking on Revzilla comparing the Coolpro II and the Fifty5. I'd prefer the Fifty5, but can't tell from the reviews if it will be too warm for the middle of the summer. Someone said they were comfortable from 50-80 degrees so that might seal the deal. Summers in New England can get warmer than that but I'll survive. Like you said, I'd prefer to spend the same amount on something nicer like the Fifty5.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up getting the Fly Fifty5 jacket and the FL-2 gloves. The quality on both is excellent. My only issue was the plastic zipper on the jacket but I read that in a review beforehand so I knew it was coming. The gloves seem great as well - palm slider, knuckle slider, kevlar stitching - let's hope I never need to test them :)