First thread from Qc

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm a new rider from montreal quebec. :Sport:

if anyone else is from around montreal, i encourage you to post in here. We could have weekly rides, or just hang out admiring our FZ6s :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

if anyone else is from around montreal, i encourage you to post in here. We could have weekly rides, or just hang out admiring our FZ6s :)
Welcome mate, Is there already a Canada section on the site for your area? It dosn't matter if there is. Good luck with arranging a meet.

Nelly
UK meet Virgin lol

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
doesn't seem like there's many members from montreal on this board. I guess i'll have to ride with the crazy folks that rip appart the streets on superbikes.

MotoMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello there !
I'm new here. I have a question for you, since you are in Quebec.
I'm about to buy an FZ6 in the Montreal area, BUT... I hesitate because I cannot find a dealer who will let me try one. I don't want to wait for Yamaha's demo days in June. Any dealer recommendation ?
Thanks !

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a demo 2006 (around 2000km) from Alex Berthiaume 2 years ago. They sell Yamaha and Honda. In my understanding, this means they may have demos on some models (doubt on Rs and RRs)? Would call first if I were you. They are very friendly and there's absolutely no selling pressure. But if you need pressure, try Newman... ;)
Bonne route et bon été!

EDIT: Now I know that A.B. has a beautiful blue FZ1 2005 (demo 2000km) to sell at an interesting price. Not recommended if its your first bike though...

Last edited:

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Hi Schumy,

I'm also a new rider, still have the 6A learners. Got my bike last week.

How long did you hold your licence for?

Thanks!

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh HABS! Crossing fingers for this saturday!!! Price or Halak? :)

Idk, I dont think Carbonneau has decided yet, or at least released the starter. Whoever can outplay Biron! He has been too good these playoffs! Game 4 was a heartbreaker! Coming back to tie it with 2 goals in less than a minute in the 3rd period only to have it lost by a PPG by freakin Briere.

MotoMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi !
I should have known that a thread with people in Quebec would talk about hockey ;) I'm actually going to the game tonight... hope it won't be the last one !

Alex Berthiaume, Cossette and Newman: they don't have demos or used ones... their line is "This is such a great bike, you won't regret it. Doesn't matter if you can't try one before you sign right here...".
I guess that's what I'll have to do...
I had a bigger bike before... I'm trying to calm down, but I know this one is no valium !!!

And by the way, the price at Newman's was 1000$ more. And I've read so many horror stories about their service (lack of...):(
So I'll see if I go to another dealer later today...

In the meantime,

GO HABS GO !!!

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi MotoMom,

It must be a coincidence you mentioned Newman. The clearance sales must have started March or April as I too reacted a bit late to all the mark downs the shops were offering during the final snowstorm. I stopped by Newman two weeks ago when the snow cleared, and they only had two 2007 FZ6 in red, no blue. I lucked out with a used 2006 one, which in the end was better for me.

Service on the sales floor at Newman varies. I've been given the cold shoulder in the past (getting accessories) and this year is bad as they're so short staff. I guess they gave me more attention cause I was determined to buy a bike. But I have to agree with you, when it comes to new current models, 2008, they don't really have any deals.

But what type of stories are you hearing?

Anyway, I wish you best of luck finding your bike. Please do it soon as I'm in need for some riding friends. I can't even attempt my road test until June or July cause the SAAQ is fully booked!!!!

Enjoy the game!!!!! Go Habs Go!!!!!

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the game was great without the end. I went to Trois-Rivières to see the game with a friend. That was beer well spent! Hope you've had some fun there! Now, this is golf for sure. ;)
I don't really like the power selling pitch at Newman. I talked to them at the shop and at the Salon de la moto de Montréal. Different seller, same speech. I prefer A.B. because they are more relax and friendlier. It's a family business, it's small and they don't ignore you. Well, in my case, I was a serious buyer maybe that's why. Never had a problem of any sort with them. Had 2 maintenance services and it was greatly done and in time. Bought some gear too but it's pricey and they don't have enough gear in-store. Moto International has a lot of gear but pricey too. Try south of the border. ;)
Sad for the demo. Like I said, I went there to get a simple oil filter. I talked a little with a seller. I asked about an used FZ1. I was so interested that he offered me to evaluate my FZ6 and test ride the FZ1.
Maybe it would be different to ask for a test ride in person than over the phone? Seems more serious? Dunno. I would understand they say no if you were a new rider but you're not.
The FZ6 is a great bike. Final. I thought of the FZ1 just for the kick of it (around 140-150 hp in the belly...). Hope you'll find one soon!
For comparison, I bought my used 2006 FZ6 with 2000km in october 2006 from A.B.. Price was 7000+tx. Newman offered a new 2006 for 7500$+"preparation"+tx

MotoMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone !

It was a great game... even if the Habs lost and that was the end of their season. Well, they weren't supposed to make it to the playoffs anyway... so... it wasn't bad after all. And Carey Price needs a real break. Hope the weather in BC is great this summer !

An update on the bike purchase: no matter the dealer (except Newman), they are all around the same price: 8000$ approx, prep included, + taxes, for a new 2008 FZ6.

I did not go to Alex Berthiaume, but did go in person to 3 other dealers... to no avail... they won't let me try one. There's one place where the guy told me that the final sale could be conditional to a road test (if I sign up before trying it). That's the best I got so far. Not bad.

If I had a bike right now, the chances of convincing a salesman to let me try one would probably be better...

Message for "FZ6er...": about Newman, my father bought most of the motorcycles he owned from them. Here's one of his stories (he was a big Kawasaki fan and lived in LaSalle, that's why he kept going there): 2 summers ago, it must have taken 3 weeks before they put back together his bike, after a routine check. At one point, he went to the dealer and stayed there a few hours, each day, for 3 days, so that they would take care of his bike. It's a good thing he was retired, he had time on his hand... but he was losing patience (which is out of character for him, since he was never complaining about anything !!!).

Anyway... this is just one story... on other forums, I've read other horror stories like that about Newman... so be aware ;)

So the big bike purchase will probably happen in the next couple of days.

"FZ6er..." from Montreal: what does it mean if you can't attempt your road test ? Can you still ride your bike ? Under what conditions ? (I passed my test 20 years ago, and there were no restrictions like that back then... that's why I'm asking...)

Drive safely ! :rockon:
MotoMom

MotoMom

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for a motorcycle jacket for a child

Hi !

Do you know someone in the Montreal area who has a child size motorcycle jacket for sale ?
I'm looking for a fairly priced used jacket for my son, who wears a size 12.

Thanks for your help !
:Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash::Flash:

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi MotoMom

Thanks for the warning about Newman. I’ll be vigilant.

I’m not sure exactly when the SAAQ changed the rules for obtaining a motorcycle licence, but this is how it goes for getting a moto licence now:

-Mandatory 9hr theory course; do theory test at SAAQ; pass, get 6R learners
(6R learners: can only operate motorcycle under school supervision)

-Mandatory 16hr minimum practice course (12hr on closed track + 4hr on road with instructor); do closed track test at SAAQ; pass, get 6A learners
(6A learners: can only operate motorcycle under supervision of an accompanying rider/mentor (on separate motorcycle) and has held the 6A licence for at least 2 years)

-7 month waiting period before you can do road test with SAAQ;
- pass road test, get complete 6A licence!!!!!!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the mandatory courses in Quebec are similar to optional MSF courses offered in the USA.

I was told that – once upon a time in Quebec, when you pass your class 5 drivers licence test, a motorcycle licence was only an additional $10. I also have a friend who got his motorcycle licence in Ohio in about 2 months; and there was no road test, only closed track; said it was a joke compared to Quebec now. But I’m okay about how we do things now. It’s for the better IMO.

So, I’m at the final stage, my 7 month waiting period ended in January 2008. I just need to schedule my road test. The SAAQ only released appointments on May 1, 2008 and every appointment was taken at Laval, Montreal and Longueuil in a few hours. They said to check back later for sudden openings or for appointments in July. Until then, I can only ride if I have an accompanying rider/mentor. So far, I’ve only got 2 old colleagues to go riding with me, but I can’t expect that too frequently. One, a safe rider who actually taught me many life saving tips; the other, not sure as he's a friend of a friend. Either way, I’m encouraged to find a riding group.

Again, wish you best of luck on getting your bike!!! Ride safe!!!

Anybody want to ride with me and be a mentor, let me know!!!!!

FZ6er_FSR

Last edited:

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
oh wow... i've been away from the forum for a few days and it filled up :D...

FZ6er, I'm going to Mecaglisse tomorrow (sunday may 11th) . It's $110, and there's gonna be a few of us going. It might be a good experience :)

you just need full protection (leather or textile) with hard shoulder/elbow/knee pads, above ankle booths and leather gloves.

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Schumy,

Track day? Sorry, I'm not ready for that. Also, I'm more into the touring part of riding.

Don't you need the full 6A permit to be allowed in? I'm getting ready to do my road test this summer, whenever I can book a spot with the SAAQ. I managed to get in touch with an old colleague so at least I'll get some practice.

Well, be careful out there. Regular insurance normally doesn't cover your bike on a race track.

Keep us posted and thanks for the invite!!!

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
you don't need a license to be on a track, just not crash every 10 feet :)... so basically you're well off. And I'm only going to the track to learn some more advanced riding techniques. I'm not into racing either (not with this bike anyway).

You should really give it a second thought, it might be a good learning experience. You'll learn more in one day on the track form the other riders than you might in one year on normal roads.