EU motorbike rules, per country PLEASE HELP.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently came across this website which shows (some of) the local traffic regulations in EU countries, thought it might be useful for our (European) members, unfortunately this doesn't include all the motorcycle laws So I'll try to list them here.....

Austria:
You have to carry an extra set of glasses if you wear them.Source
You have to carry a first aid set.Source
The normal daytime maximum speed limit is reduced from 130Km/h to 100Km/h between 0100 and 0500 hours.. Except on the A1 between Salzburg and Vienna and the A2 from Vienna to Villach.Source
Children under 12 years old are not allowed on the back of a bike. Source

Belgium:
Safety clothing mandatory (jacket, trousers, gloves, boots (which protect the ankles), Source
Filtering allowed by law. Source
Speed camera GPS waypoints forbidden Source
Safety (dayglo) vest with you (doesn't have to be worn but is incase of accident or breakdown), Source

Bulgaria
Requirement for rider and duo to wear a safety vest in the case of breakdown or accident. Penalty for violation: € 50.Source

Croatia
Obligation to wear safety vest in the case of a breakdown or accident outside an urban area. Offense is not punishable (yet).Source

France:
Stickers on Helmet mandatory Source
Speed camera GPS waypoints forbidden Source
Retrofitted Xenon lights must be type approved (recommended by manufacturer). Source
Clothes must include at least 150 cm2 of reflective material. Source
In bad weather or at night reflective clothing is required. Source
riders who have their license for less than 2 years can ride a maximum of 100km/h. Source
Personal breathalyzer required, not punishable (as yet)
Safety (dayglo) vest with you (doesn't have to be worn but is incase of accident or breakdown) (from January 2016). Source

Germany:
Speed camera GPS waypoints forbidden . Source
Retrofitted Xenon lights must be automatically height adjusted and C approved.Source
C standard exhaust with (permanantly) fitted baffles (DB Killers). The German police are keen on noise pollution. Source
Some roads shut to motorbikes on the weekend. Source
Winter tyres (even for motorbikes) compulsary in the winter. Source
Safety (dayglo) vest with you (doesn't have to be worn but is incase of accident or breakdown) (from July 2014) Source

Hungary
Vest required when getting off your motorbike in the case of a breakdown or accident outside urban areas. Penalty for violation: from € 50 Source

Italy:
Motorbikes of less than 150cc are not allowed on the motorway. Source

Luxembourg
Obligation to wear safety vest in the case of a breakdown or accident outside an urban area. Penalty for violation: from € 50. Source

Montenegro
Obligation to wear safety vest in the case of a breakdown or accident outside an urban area. Offense is not punishable (yet). Source

Netherlands (The)
Filtering allowed by law. Source
Speed limit on motorways are 130Km/h unless indicated otherwise. Matrix boards show where you can use the hard shoulder as a seperate lane, generally it will also indicate a reduced speed as well.
Be carefull around some larger vehicles like lorries and busses as some have a different maximum speed on motorways and autoways (similar to dual carriageways but not Always with 4 lanes). Source
On motorways Some speed limits are shown with the added tekst showing times, for example 0600-1900, this means that outside these times the general 130Km/h speed limit applies. Here's an example

Norway
:Motorway speeds for all vehicles are 90Km/h unless otherwise indicated. Source
Obligation to have a safety vest on board only applies to motorbikes with a Norwegian license plate. Offense is not punishable (yet). Source

Portugal:
If you have your license for less than a year then you are only allowed to ride a maximum of 90Km/H.Source
There is a traffic sign which forbids motorcycles to overtake, this is shown with a black car with a red motorbike next to it.Source

Slovakia
Safety Vest required when getting off your bike in case of a breakdown or accident outside urban areas. Penalty for violation: from € 50 Source

Spain
Wearing headphones, on/in a motorvehicle is not allowed. Source
Operating GPS apparatus whilst driving/riding is forbidden (you are allowed to use it but just not operate it)Source
Motorbikes can use the VAO (Vehículos con alta occupación’ (carpool)) lanes Source

Switzerland:
Spare pair of glasses.Source
Speed camera GPS waypoints forbidden.Source

United kingdom:
Ride on the left hand side ;).

Other rules/countries ???????

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: EU traffic rules, per country

As was pointed out yesterday on line, each country in Europe has a separate set of rules which applies to motorcyclists, there is also some confusion about some of the rules, even the link in the previous post doesn't show all the differences. A couple of days ago a friend of a friend from the UK, well a biker anyway asked me a few questions about the rules to ride over on the continent, I was a bit embarrassed to say I didn’t know all the differences. Although many sites show the differences for cars, very few show all the differences for Bikers in all the countries..
I’m going to hopefully add to this thread with your help. Please post any info you either know or can find on the interweb. I’ll be using the first post to summarize the differences. I think if we all pool our knowledge and information we might be able to make this work.
I’ll edit the first post as we go along to show the info we have uptil now.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I've started listing the motorbike laws per country, PLEASE add any extra laws in your region in the thread, or if you can refer to a government site to make the source even clearer that would be even better. I'll place any additions to the Original post.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IN SPAIN: Yesterday SpinDoctor mentioned that it is forbidden to use a headset in the car or on the bike, so I looked it up and it was true.
I also found out that it was illegal to operate your satnav when riding, but there was one positive and that was that bikers could use the lanes marked VAO (Vehículos con alta occupación’) basically Multi occupancy lanes.
I found this on the Dutch ANWB (AAA equivelent) site.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently came across this article on the Dutch ANWB Site. Many EU countries require you to have a safety vest with you in case of an accident or breakdown, but the rules vary from country to country. Here's a translation:

Belgium
You are required to carry one safety vest per motorbike whether you've broken down or not.
Penalty for violation: from € 50.

Bulgaria
Requirement for rider and duo to wear a safety vest in the case of breakdown or accident.
Penalty for violation: € 50.

Croatia
Obligation to wear safety vest in the case of a breakdown or accident outside an urban area.
Offense is not punishable (yet).

Luxembourg
Obligation to wear safety vest in the case of a breakdown or accident outside an urban area.
Penalty for violation: from € 50.

Montenegro

Norway
Obligation to have a vest on board only applies to motorbikes with a Norwegian license.

Slovakia
Vest required when getting off your bike in case of a breakdown or accident outside urban areas.
Penalty for violation: from € 50

Hungary
Vest required when getting off your motorbike in the case of a breakdown or accident outside urban areas.
Penalty for violation: from € 50

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The link from the first post now has a link to a free app, explaining the rules, only as I understand it the info is based on what can be found on the website, so it's a bit sketchy in a few places. The good thing is it shows that they are busy with it, so hopefully more info will be added :thumbup:

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
And your DB Killers in ;)

hahaha, for the first time I'm a tad nervous about that, though I think two others that are going have louder pipes than mine under normal running but the baffles are in on all of the bikes.
Might be a run to the border if the pigs try and stop us in Switzerland again lol :eek:

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
Portugal:
If you have your license for less than a year then you are only allowed to ride a maximum of 90Km/H.Source
This was until the 80's! Never saw it!

There is a traffic sign which forbids motorcycles to overtake, this is shown with a black car with a red motorbike next to it.Source

It's very rare but exists.
prod_img_0881409001336983555_41436.jpg

More than or equal to 125cc motorcycles are aloud to use the Motorways.
Minimum speed in Motorways 50Km/H (very dangerous riding at this speed in motorways)

Maximum speed's:
Motorways: 120Km/H
"Reserved Lane" or "Dual carriageway": 100Km/H (I don't know if this is the right name, it's a road similar to a Motorways)
Other public roads: 90Km/H
Built-up areas: 50Km/H

Just the helmet is mandatory.
Driving lights always on

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This was until the 80's! Never saw it!

It's very rare but exists.
prod_img_0881409001336983555_41436.jpg

More than or equal to 125cc motorcycles are aloud to use the Motorways.
Minimum speed in Motorways 50Km/H (very dangerous riding at this speed in motorways)

Maximum speed's:
Motorways: 120Km/H
"Reserved Lane" or "Dual carriageway": 100Km/H (I don't know if this is the right name, it's a road similar to a Motorways)
Other public roads: 90Km/H
Built-up areas: 50Km/H

Just the helmet is mandatory.
Driving lights always on

This is great, the riders explaining the rules in their country :thumbup:

the problem is there are a lot of sources but none of them are complete and up to date.

So the max speed for new riders no longer exists in Portugal?

Dualcarriageway is an english term which means 4 lanes in total but in Holland it's called an "autoweg" and is generally a 2 lane expressway

I assume that motorcyclists also have to pay toll on toll roads, as last year I drove around Albufiera (also to Lisbon ,in a hire car) and had to pay the highway toll at the local post office within a certain time (I thought it was within 2 weeks).

Once again thanks for the input :thumbup:

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
So the max speed for new riders no longer exists in Portugal?
Exactly, but at the date, the goverment is changing the rules almost every years!
The limitations are:
18 years old, maximum 35KW
24 years old, unlimited power info here

Dualcarriageway is an english term which means 4 lanes in total but in Holland it's called an "autoweg" and is generally a 2 lane expressway
It's this one, it's called Expressway in English

I assume that motorcyclists also have to pay toll on toll roads, as last year I drove around Albufiera (also to Lisbon ,in a hire car) and had to pay the highway toll at the local post office within a certain time (I thought it was within 2 weeks).
Yes motorcycles have to pay. The owners of the transponders "electronic toll collection" have an 30% discount in the total payed at the post office.

Once again thanks for the input :thumbup:
I think this thread is very helpfull to everyone.
Next time you visit Lisbon, I will be very glad to meet you, have a beer and show you some twisty roads!

Last edited:

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
My favourite british one is that on unmarked junctions NOBODY has right of way :eek:

They are rare, and mostly occur on country lanes, so nothing to worry about (except tractors, mud, walkers, gravel, muck, stone walls, livestock, hawthorn hedges, cyclists, potholes, tourists, horse****, horses, walkers...) Hmm, maybe add country lanes as a uniquely british hazard, go canny, assume there's a moron around that blind bend, brake on the clean bit, and remember to veer LEFT in a tight situation.

In Holland and a few other european countries you have this sign, denoting a road with right of way over all joining roads, which we do not have:

220px-Nederlands_verkeersbord_B1.svg.png

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly, but at the date, the goverment is changing the rules almost every years!
The limitations are:
18 years old, maximum 35KW
24 years old, unlimited power info here

It's this one, it's called Expressway in English

Yes motorcycles have to pay. The owners of the transponders "electronic toll collection" have an 30% discount in the total payed at the post office.

I think this thread is very helpfull to everyone.
Next time you visit Lisbon, I will be very glad to meet you, have a beer and show you some twisty roads!

A big thanks for the info :thumbup:

can you buy transponders for use with car hire or is it only for people living in Portugal?

Well if I'm in Portugal I'm generally with a hire car (and family) but I'll definately be visiting Lisbon again sometime in the future, our couple of days last year was far too short to discover all the beautiful parts of the city.
Next time I'll definately take you up on that beer :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My favourite british one is that on unmarked junctions NOBODY has right of way :eek:

They are rare, and mostly occur on country lanes, so nothing to worry about (except tractors, mud, walkers, gravel, muck, stone walls, livestock, hawthorn hedges, cyclists, potholes, tourists, horse****, horses, walkers...) Hmm, maybe add country lanes as a uniquely british hazard, go canny, assume there's a moron around that blind bend, brake on the clean bit, and remember to veer LEFT in a tight situation.

I've never come across these junctions before in the UK, but I do agree about the country lanes in the UK, sometimes with speed limits of 60mph :eek: generally in Holland a speed limit is treated as an advisory speed to travel, whereas in the UK many B roads have a 60mph speed limit, but you would be crazy if you rode this speed all the time.

In Holland and a few other european countries you have this sign, denoting a road with right of way over all joining roads, which we do not have:

220px-Nederlands_verkeersbord_B1.svg.png

Thanks I forgot about that one, it is definately used in Holland and Germany to denote a road with right of way, without this sign on the road you are travelling then traffic that comes from the right hand side have right of way.

Thanks for this info, BTW I'm curious, why double Dutch ?

loban

Reaction score
Visit site
Switzerland: If you use the High-Speed routes/motorways/autobahn whatever you call i, you have to buy the official stamp/tax sticker and stick it to your vehicle:
In the car on the Front window, not obscuring the LoS
On motorcycles on a place you can access quickly, under the seat is allowed.

The Sticker costs 40.-CHF and can be bought at the border.

There are a few exceptions/selections of motorways which don't require a sticker, they are indicated with this [gonna take a pic later] Picture

They are discussing about offering a Time limited stamp for tourists which will be cheaper.

The Sticker is valid from 1.Jan to 31.Dec

Source:
https://www.ch.ch/de/autobahnvignette/

i can translate more if you want.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Switzerland: If you use the High-Speed routes/motorways/autobahn whatever you call i, you have to buy the official stamp/tax sticker and stick it to your vehicle:
In the car on the Front window, not obscuring the LoS
On motorcycles on a place you can access quickly, under the seat is allowed.

The Sticker costs 40.-CHF and can be bought at the border.

There are a few exceptions/selections of motorways which don't require a sticker, they are indicated with this [gonna take a pic later] Picture

They are discussing about offering a Time limited stamp for tourists which will be cheaper.

The Sticker is valid from 1.Jan to 31.Dec

Source:
https://www.ch.ch/de/autobahnvignette/

i can translate more if you want.

That's great thanks Loban :thumbup: there's even a link to the English version :cheer:

Last edited: