Need Help Clicking noise and unable to shift into first gear.

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow FZ6 lads. Recently my 2006 FZ6 has not been letting me shift into first gear, instead it will make a weird clicking noise. It takes me several tries to get down into first and it's starting to get very annoying. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site
Gary, I have not tried adjusting the clutch yet! I was considering doing that after looking around to see if anyone else was having similar issues.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The sound and hard gear engagement is typical of a clutch that is out of adjustment. Do you have a lot of play at the perch? It should just be a few mm.

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site
The sound and hard gear engagement is typical of a clutch that is out of adjustment. Do you have a lot of play at the perch? It should just be a few mm.
I went and checked it this morning and there was a TON of play, probably about 3x the amount factory recommended. Adjusted it, went for a ride. Saw the problem far less.

I will also take your advice, bricksrheavy and clean the clutch lever and linkage. The previous owner of this bike was NOT nice to it at all.

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh also, how do I adjust the clutch itself? I watched this tutorial
however my FZ6 doesn't seem to have something like this? Or did I look in the wrong place.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh also, how do I adjust the clutch itself? my FZ6 doesn't seem to have something like this? Or did I look in the wrong place.

Not even close.

You only CLUTCH adjustment is in the cable play.

This is in your owners manual. If you don't have a manual, PM me, I have it (as a PDF to share)

I would lube the cable as it will shift MUCH easier with the cable freely moving.

***You also want to make sure the shifter lever is NOT adjusted too low.***(Most likely your issue)

If, when pushing the lever down, it's contacting the frame (shifter lever not on the correct splines or shifter linkage in-correctly adjusted).

Part #19 is the main shifter linkage and IS adjustable. By loosing the lock nuts, you can then turn #19 and it will adjust the FOOT LEVER/SHIFTER up or down:

Again, if it's not shifting DOWNWARDS FULLY (going down into FIRST), it WILL grind and make all kinds of racket as your only PARTIALLY shifting..

Capture.JPG

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site
Not even close.

You only CLUTCH adjustment is in the cable play.

This is in your owners manual. If you don't have a manual, PM me, I have it (as a PDF to share)

I would lube the cable as it will shift MUCH easier with the cable freely moving.

***You also want to make sure the shifter lever is NOT adjusted too low.***(Most likely your issue)

If, when pushing the lever down, it's contacting the frame (shifter lever not on the correct splines or shifter linkage in-correctly adjusted).

Part #19 is the main shifter linkage and IS adjustable. By loosing the lock nuts, you can then turn #19 and it will adjust the FOOT LEVER/SHIFTER up or down:

Again, if it's not shifting DOWNWARDS FULLY (going down into FIRST), it WILL grind and make all kinds of racket as your only PARTIALLY shifting..

View attachment 73662

Thanks man! I'll be sure to adjust this on Tuesday. Doing some work on the bike and might as well make a morning of it. I appreciate you and I do have a copy of my service manual! First thing I did when I got the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper,

Forgot to mention, the two joints at the end of that rod, spray lube them with something like liquid wrench, etc(not WD40).

They tend to get gummed up and don't help shifting..

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper,

Forgot to mention, the two joints at the end of that rod, spray lube them with something like liquid wrench, etc(not WD40).

They tend to get gummed up and don't help shifting..
Yup, I can't move part 19 so I had to spray it down and let it sit for a while, forgot about it during my daily routine..
Another question, how do you do your spark plugs? I bought my FZ6 off of someone and it didn't come with that fancy tool that would help getting them out.

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles are on this bike?

The only Fancy tool needed would be a deep socket and a few extensions
53k miles. I probably have to pick up a 16mm deep socket but I will probably have to let the radiator droop down to get to it which I'm oaky with.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At 53,000 miles you should also be checking the valve clearance. Yes, the radiator will need to be moved out of the way for access. If you are changing the plugs, look for the thread about securing the spark plug caps.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re part #19, one lock nut is regular thread (lefty loosy), the other is REVERSE thread (allowing adjustment by twisting it). Obviously, make sure the lock nuts are loosened..

Did you do a visual and check to see is ANY of the shift linkage is touching the frame/any hard parts/

You can get to the plugs with a deep socket and a little bit of masking tape / electrical tape wrapped from the "outside to the inside" of the socket. This is to hold onto the spark plug once loose (practice on a new plug.

Masamune

Reaction score
Visit site

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I simply cannot get the spark plugs out, they sit way too deep and no tool I have can maneuver in.

You're gonna need an assortment of extensions. I have muliple 2", 3" 4" 6" 8" and u-joints in 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 drive. I can't tell you which 3/8 combination exactly work...but you see that an assortment gives you options.