Budget Riding Camera

BitesWhenBitten

Reaction score
Visit site
Any suggestions out there? I had one that still technically works after a wreck, but it SPUN off and I was lucky to recover it.

I bought a lapel camera, but I don't like that the video won't match my head movements.

I know I'm asking for a tall order, but if it's been done before, someone here knows how.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Any suggestions out there? I had one that still technically works after a wreck, but it SPUN off and I was lucky to recover it.

I bought a lapel camera, but I don't like that the video won't match my head movements.

I know I'm asking for a tall order, but if it's been done before, someone here knows how.

What are you trying to accomplish? Recording potential accidents? Or more than that?

BitesWhenBitten

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I ended up doing.

Doesn't seem any better or worse than the other camera suggested as far as being secure (because I'm using the same adhesive and not screws- something I would never consider).

But I think this might get the view I need while allowing anyone that reviews the video to see 99% of what I do.

If it works well, I will probably go back with a better adhesive and make it pretty.
9b1ab4118ab25225d61c9f2aa17bf333.jpg
f34bde54c07136985dba716e4e609da9.jpg
5a4d0995dc4a387e7a55b06625f3d6fe.jpg

BitesWhenBitten

Reaction score
Visit site
By the way, the camera I used in the photos is the lapel camera I first mentioned. It's originally intended to clasp onto a shirt collar, but I just don't see that staying in place.

So I repurposed it.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Mobius Action Cam, it was about $70, plus the cost of a SD card. Mounted the base to the right side of my helmet, opposite my Sena. I chose it since it's low profile, i got the lens that allows me to mount it vertically. I bought it at the beginning of last year to use for dashcam purposes (but hardly ever rode last year). That just reminded me I'll charge it and get it set up for this year.

BitesWhenBitten

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Mobius Action Cam, it was about $70, plus the cost of a SD card. Mounted the base to the right side of my helmet, opposite my Sena. I chose it since it's low profile, i got the lens that allows me to mount it vertically. I bought it at the beginning of last year to use for dashcam purposes (but hardly ever rode last year). That just reminded me I'll charge it and get it set up for this year.
What model do you have?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I highly recommend the Mobius Action Cam as well. It's very small and easily mounts on the side of the helmet once you get the correct mounts. The picture quality is amazing, I think it's better quality than my Black Edition Go Pro. I like the loop recording feature and you can set your video clips to timed intervals, I have mine set at 5 minute clips. Very light weight as well. The 1st generation camera had a disappointing 40 minute battery life, but the new generation records up to 2 hours. All for around $80!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I quit using mine, but I have an Ion Air Pro Wifi that I picked up on sale for $40. Another $15 in mounting hardware and it served it's purpose. Not great at night, but was great in daylight.

I really didn't like having stuff on my helmet and I haven't figured out a good way to mount it to the bike.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I found that the only place on my bike NOT affected by a laydown, etc. is the area behind the windshield, at the top front of the tank (can't imagine what would happen to a helmet mounted camera after an accident or highside). So I use a GoPro Silver Edition, mounted on a simple but large suction cup and some articulated plastic mounting pieces, right on top of the tank, looking through the middle of the windscreen. I also tether the GoPro to the handlebars with a piece of nylon cord, so if the suction cup fails, the camera's not lost. I also have a spare battery. So I have hours and hours of usage on any given day. I've learned to start and stop the camera regularly, so the resulting videos load more readily on my PC, to view and edit them. Not a cheap solution, but I've already had and used it 4 or 5 seasons. Good luck with whatever you choose.