BRC pre-requisite for ERC?

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I've been riding for just over a year now on my permit. I've been learning a lot and having a blast. My father has taught me a lot, not to say it's a replacement for the BRC but I didn't just get on and go lol. I'm just wondering if I have to take the BRC before the ERC or if I could just take the experienced rider course. My wife is pregnant and is due the day after the first available BRC course so I probably shouldn't be that far from home in the event she goes into labor early! And after that, my weekends I'm sure will be pretty full what with having a newborn around haha. I have a test scheduled with the DMV next month but I would much rather have the opportunity to learn some new things and correct any mistakes I've picked up while getting my M endorsement. Anyway, if anyone reads this, thanks for taking the time!

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Depends on your skill level at this point I would imagine. The BRC is aimed at someone who had never ridden a motorcycle, obviously this would not be you. I had someone on here last year tell me the main difference between the two is there is no classroom learnign in the ERC, you use your own bike, and they expect you to be able to ride. From what I understand, the hands on BRC starts with learning how to hold up the bike, clutch control, simple braking., things like that. If you'd been riding for a year, you already know this.

I took the ERC, but I had been riding on and off for about 20 years (been without a bike for about 15 before taking the course last year). There are a lot of things I lerned in that class, most were common sence, but needed to be said anyway. The class was enjoyable, fast paced, and gave me some things to work on.

I would suggest passing on the BRC and taking the ERC, you should already know how to do most of the stuff the BRC will teach.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
While there may be some state-specific or site-specific rules, I know here in Iowa at the site I coach, there is no requirement that you have taken a BRC before taking the ERC (technically called the BRC2 now). However, you are expected to have a certain level of skills for the ERC/BRC2, and if these aren't present you simply won't complete it.

While I can't judge your skill level, I will say there are plenty of people that take the ERC and have clearly "learned how to ride from Uncle Buck 30 years ago" and never had any formal training. By this, I mean you get a lot of "never use the front brake", "I kick a knee out to turn", etc. If these people are taking the ERC/BRC2, I would think you could do so, too.

Edit: I see now that you are thinking of either (a) taking the DMV test only, or (b) taking the ERC. The question isn't, then, ERC or BRC, right? I would say most definitely take the ERC. In Iowa, some ERCs can even give you a waiver to avoid your DMV/DOT test. The ERC is a good class that they recommend you take every few years even with a license.

Edit 2: Almost forgot - congrats on the upcoming addition to the family!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Riders should have sufficient riding skills and experience to operate a motorcycle with basic proficiency. This course is not designed to teach you basic riding skills.

However, we have been known to drop riders from the class during the very early stages who have failed to demonstrate basic riding skills and control.

If you have been riding for a year, you should be fine. Make sure you wear the proper safety gear required to take the class, in addition your bike will go through a preride inspection. You must also show proof of insurance and the bike must be registered and be street legal.

Have fun!

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, yea I do feel like I have sufficient riding skills and I can operate my fz6 with at least basic proficiency. I think I would pass the DMV test without a problem, other than nerves haha. I would just like to take the opportunity to learn more while getting tested for the license. The school I'll be doing it through, pvriders, says on the site that you can get your endorsement in the ERC if you haven't gotten it. I also have all my gear, of course! So that is probably the route I will take, I shot them an e-mail as well just to be sure. Thanks everyone for the help! and thanks adberns for the congrats! :thumbup:

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that in Texas, you have to take the BRC in order to get a motorcycle endorsement. There's no more option of taking a riding test.

I guess it's not that way in MA?

m.donovan

Reaction score
Visit site
No, in Ma you can ake the BRC, the ERC, or just get tested at the DMV for your license. I didn't know you could skip the basic course and just take the experienced, that's really all I was trying to find out lol Plus the ERC is over $100 cheaper and it's only one 6 hour day :rockon: