Beginner Bike for Small Girl

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi ladies and gents. My fiance has just passed her motorcycle training course, and she had the chance to ride many bikes but all small. She hates cruiser style (god I love her) but she is really tiny. About 5'2 and weighs 110 soaking wet in full gear. The ninja 250 was a little tall but not too bad, though she didn't feel fully comfortable on it. What does the forum suggest would be a good beginner bike? Keep in mind in Canada we have a VERY limited selection. She also wants something that can do 110km/hr comfortably. Thanks everyone!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
There are a bunch of newer low cc bikes around now. I was surprised by the variety.

But the Ninja 250 would be my first sugestion. Do they have lower seats? I know Buell used to offer two seats for their intro bike, the Blast. Gone now. The Ninja 500R is another good choice for a smart rider. But Kwaker may have a low seat option for shorter riders on the Ninja and that may help her fit.

There is a Korean brand Hosung I think, that has a 'sport' bike in the 150cc range.

Suziki has a 250 that look like a 1970s Standard. I don't know if that is up her ally but I love it. But my first bike was a 1980 CB750. :) It does have a drum rear break, not a positive.

If that is up her ally, think about a used bike. Some of the older Honda CB400's have serious 'classic' cool appeal and can be found pretty cheep if you look around. A 20 or 30 year old bike can often be found fairly cheep in good condition with 10K miles or so.

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,
If she was only uncomfortable on the ninja because of the height but liked everything else, I know that there are a lot of lowering link kits, or dog bones, on the market that seem fairly straightforward to install. Here's just one of the many links for example:

Kawasaki Lowering Links

looks like depending on the year, you could lower an older year model up to 2 inches and a newer one as much as 4.5"! (Some other kits available for the 500r also). Dunno how that drastic a drop like that would affect handling, but it's apparently possible! just install a radio on it and constantly play "Low Rider" and it should magically be ok!

Good luck to you and your girl! always great to hear of another new member of the two-wheeled club!

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another vote for the 250 Ninja. Would have to be one of the best "learner" bikes on the market.
As mentioned, the Hyosungs are not a bad bike these days, they're much better than the korean stuff from a few years ago.

:rockon:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree Ninja 250 is a good starter bike. The Suzuki GS500F might be an option as well. Let her sit on both and decide what feels best.

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
+2 on the ninja 250. They are right on with the new style too. I believe they do make a lowering kit for it.

Yeah, the new body is sooooo much better than the 20 year old body style they had before! there's a bunch of lowering kits out there.
Here's another tip, also. I would suggest getting one of the adjustable kits, as they have three or so different height settings and you can choose which one suits her better through trial and error.

On a side note, I've seen a couple of Hyosung 250R's around also. they look pretty hot! Good call

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i don't have a bike suggestion... but another forum i hang out on has a ladies lounge and one of the ladies posted up something for short riders. might be something your gf would want to check out.

SBL FAQ

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My pick - Honda CBF250 (don't know what your equivalent is) - it's what I learnt on.

Naked, so IF it was ever dropped, no damage.

Very light, easy to ride and did the top speed limit here - 110km's - with no problems.

Ninja 250 - great little bike but with fairings - costly if dropped.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Ninja 250 is a good bet. Also, the Suzuki GS500E is a goot starter bike and can be lowered a full 3". The dealer had one already lowered and while my wife liked it, she liked the Yamaha FZ6R better and bought that instead. I was able to lower that for her 1.25" and she is nearly flat-footed on both sides with a 30" inseam.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice!

Kazza, we don't get a single good honda model besides the cbr125r here and it really won't do 110 for long. Canada really sucks for this. We basically get a kawasaki 250 and a 500, the hyosung 250, a honda cbr12r and the suzuki 500. As for the ninja 250, I started on one myself and i loved it. She was just worried about the height issue, but some of the lowering link kits look good.

To FZ1, she loves the FZ6R, but as she is really new, I would be worried about her dropping it.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice!

Kazza, we don't get a single good honda model besides the cbr125r here and it really won't do 110 for long. Canada really sucks for this. We basically get a kawasaki 250 and a 500, the hyosung 250, a honda cbr12r and the suzuki 500. As for the ninja 250, I started on one myself and i loved it. She was just worried about the height issue, but some of the lowering link kits look good.

To FZ1, she loves the FZ6R, but as she is really new, I would be worried about her dropping it.

I thought we were limited in Western Australia for small bikes, but Canada? Would never have thought that.

Maybe the Ninja 250 would be the best choice for her - just get good sliders and, like you said, put a lowering kit on it.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the new body is sooooo much better than the 20 year old body style they had before! there's a bunch of lowering kits out there.
Here's another tip, also. I would suggest getting one of the adjustable kits, as they have three or so different height settings and you can choose which one suits her better through trial and error.

On a side note, I've seen a couple of Hyosung 250R's around also. they look pretty hot! Good call

That blue one looks pretty damn good! I didn't know a 250 could be so...sexy!

Btw, how do you get a picture to show in a quote?

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
So after driving around like a mad man all day to dealerships, it seems the kawasaki or the hyosung 250 are the best bests. Both can be lowered really easy and both have enough power to do anything but not enough to get my girl in a troubled situation.

And Kazza, yeah, canada has a VERY limited selection for most bike brands. Apparently according to the honda dealer, the one state of california has more bikes in it then all of Canada... so brands pass us by a lot.

FrankieOC82

Reaction score
Visit site
A whole day aking test rides at dealerships?! That sounds AWESOME!! i'd have a blast doing that!!:BLAA:
Glad you could narrow down your options. One step closer to getting her on two wheels!

@Mancolt: I know!! they look damn HOT now! BTW, i think to have pics show up in quotes, the pics must be embedded in the body of the original post, not just attached, but i'm not really sure ( or really know how to do that in the first place :) )