ARC Coaches

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone here have any records for lap times around the 'nut?

Nope, but I have picked up a few bikes who didn't make it :D

The difference between the BRC2 and the ARC for this exercise is that the ARC introduces trail braking. With the BRC2 all of your braking is done straight up and completed before any input into the bars.

Last edited:

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, but I have picked up a few bikes who didn't make it :D

The difference between the BRC2 and the ARC for this exercise is that the ARC introduces trail braking. With the BRC2 all of your braking is done straight up and completed before any input into the bars.

It is kind of funny, I guess, that some people do not know what trail breaking is. In the last ARC class I took (long story :scared:) no one but myself and my wife knew what trail breaking was. There was one young lad that once he understood and applied proper trail breaking, was pretty cool to watch. He became a much more "fluid" rider... in one afternoon!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen beginning riders who incorporate the trail braking method in a suttle way without even having them realize what they are doing. You see it done often during the U-Turn Box. Something that we really don't introduce or teach but they figure it out on their own when they are told not to use the front brake during the slow tight turns.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got home from a very long (but good) day!

This morning I met Mike and 10 other instructors, as well as 7 other students for the ARC. 4 Full dress harleys (two of them lowered 2''), 1 mini harley (somehow dropped while staging after an exercise), one BMW Touring bike, a CBR1000rr and me.

I'd always heard that lots of Harley guys only use the rear brake, but I found it funny hearing them admit to that after self-assessing their riding ability at 7/10.

My chicken strips are now gone completely, I feel a lot better with trail braking, and peanut was fun for a lap until I'd catch up with the last bike in my line.

Near the end of the afternoon (decreasing radius exercise) the sun started heating up tarsnakes that happened to be right in the middle of the 3rd gate. First time through it my front tire slid a bit and and I almost lost it, caught it (the instinct kick off the ground) and gave Mike and the other instructors a bit more excitement.

Anyway - overall a great day, lots of fun, learned some good stuff and got practice with things I don't normally get a chance to work on. Time to call Progressive and have them lower my rates :)

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got home from a very long (but good) day!

This morning I met Mike and 10 other instructors, as well as 7 other students for the ARC. 4 Full dress harleys (two of them lowered 2''), 1 mini harley (somehow dropped while staging after an exercise), one BMW Touring bike, a CBR1000rr and me.

I'd always heard that lots of Harley guys only use the rear brake, but I found it funny hearing them admit to that after self-assessing their riding ability at 7/10.

My chicken strips are now gone completely, I feel a lot better with trail braking, and peanut was fun for a lap until I'd catch up with the last bike in my line.

Near the end of the afternoon (decreasing radius exercise) the sun started heating up tarsnakes that happened to be right in the middle of the 3rd gate. First time through it my front tire slid a bit and and I almost lost it, caught it (the instinct kick off the ground) and gave Mike and the other instructors a bit more excitement.

Anyway - overall a great day, lots of fun, learned some good stuff and got practice with things I don't normally get a chance to work on. Time to call Progressive and have them lower my rates :)

Congrats Lawlberg on attending the ARC. I think it is important to refresh the fundamentals & maybe learn something new. How did you find the "COW" exercise? :steve:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Lawlberg on attending the ARC. I think it is important to refresh the fundamentals & maybe learn something new. How did you find the "COW" exercise? :steve:

COW was alright. I feel like I like to be more off the bike, sliding my cheeks over in addition to COW/Face in mirror - I also swing my knee out a bit too which was slightly frowned upon. I find it more comfortable when Im leaning over hard since Im about as flexiblr as a steel tube. it was neat to see how much COW helped the Harley's get around the corners without scraping boards.

Sent from my crappy old android phone using Tapatalk.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
COW was alright. I feel like I like to be more off the bike, sliding my cheeks over in addition to COW/Face in mirror - I also swing my knee out a bit too which was slightly frowned upon. I find it more comfortable when Im leaning over hard since Im about as flexiblr as a steel tube. it was neat to see how much COW helped the Harley's get around the corners without scraping boards.

Sent from my crappy old android phone using Tapatalk.

Good stuff! If you're interested in the knee out topic, we can easily do a whole new thread on it!