ARC Coaches

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
A question for my fellow MSF rider coaches out there. I have an opportunity to take the IP for the ARC in a few weeks. Cost is $100. I'm currently certified to do BRC, BRC-2 and BRC-RR courses. What are your thoughts of the ARC and the curriculum and the course in general? Do you enjoy teaching it and did you feel it was worth your time and effort to become certified? I'm not sure how many coaches of the ARC we have in Ohio. I do know we only offer the course at a few locations so there will be limited opportunities to teach.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a coach here - but being from Ohio - I could pull together a few guys who would love to do a private ARC if you'd be looking for more opportunities to teach.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
In looking at the Motorcycle Ohio website it looks like they offer the ARC in Fremont (Terra CC) for those up north, but it doesn't appear as though there are any more this year.

I did sign up for the instructors class so next year could be a possiblity. I hope they bring more sites on. Columbus would be my best option for instructing for now.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey - I just noticed that there's an ARC course in Columbus this weekend and I'm thinking of going down - can you give me an idea of what's covered/what level I should be expecting at it?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey - I just noticed that there's an ARC course in Columbus this weekend and I'm thinking of going down - can you give me an idea of what's covered/what level I should be expecting at it?

The course is about self assessment and reminding you, in various ways, to be safe on the street. In terms of exercises, there's a reducing radius curve, shifting upper body into turns.. nothing crazy, but a step up over BRC2. The goal is to make you a safer and a more confident rider.

I don't teach this course, so I'm going by what I've seen at the school.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

That would be pretty cool if you can make it. I am actually student teaching this class with several other instructor candidates. Here is a link to the Motorcycle Ohio site for the ARC and gives a decent overview. Let me know if you have more questions. The link will should give you a good idea. From what I've been told the experience level of the student varies. As with the other MSF based courses we have in Ohio, the riding exercises are done in a parking lot. Speeds are 5-15 mph faster than some of the other classes. A large focus for the riding portion is body position and what I call the MSF's version of hanging off where you don't move you butt off the seat or stick a leg out, but lean forward and in leading with your chin and moving it (exagerated) over your wrist thus reducing lean angles and theoritcally increasing your safety margin. We do circles, large and small, and throw a swerve into it in the middle of the circles. We do quick stops and evasive manuevers. We run the "peanut" of the BRC2 (old Experienced rider course). And we do decreasing radius circles somewhat similar to the old RSS "circle of death" exercise. Classroom is in the morning and riding is in the afternoon. Approx. 4 hrs of each. No skill test at the end, but there is a knowledge test. As Eric notes, a portion involves self-assessment and identifying your personal risk level. Comparing that to your skill level and coming up with a risk offset (difference between skill level and risk level). The goal is to give you tools to reduce your risk and have more in reserve.

If you come down for the course, there will be more than ample opportunity for coaching. There will be the two instructors for the class, two or three chief instructors, and 8 instructor candidates with a combined total of hundreds of years of riding experience. We're doing one class on Saturday and one on Sunday.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Registered - I'll be down there Saturday morning and look forward to seeing you MG-242!!!

Don't forget to read the requirements for gear and your bike! Hate to see you travel to Columbus and not have the necessary gear or paperwork for your bike.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget to read the requirements for gear and your bike! Hate to see you travel to Columbus and not have the necessary gear or paperwork for your bike.

I had a guy show up to BRC2 with really good gear (Shoei, nice jacket, proper riding pants, good gloves).. and low cut sneakers with no socks!! :rolleyes:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Registered - I'll be down there Saturday morning and look forward to seeing you MG-242!!!

Awesome! Bring some friends as I think there are still openings!

Eric - the 'peanut' is a hoot! The hard part is to not get caught up in the competitive side of it;) which is difficult not to do. It's just so dang much fun! :thumbup:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a guy show up to BRC2 with really good gear (Shoei, nice jacket, proper riding pants, good gloves).. and low cut sneakers with no socks!! :rolleyes:

Did anybody offer to share their boots, altough that could be a little ackward.

When I wanted to get my endorsement in 2008, I could not find a BRC available as they tend to fill up very quickly and charge a nominal fee of $25. Instead I signed up for the Riders Edge course through our local Harley dealer. It was much more expensive ($325), but following 2 1/2 days of classroom and parking lot exercises I felt confident and the instructors were great. Last summer I decided to have a tuneup, so I signed up for the ARC. The class was very similar as described above and well worth the time and $. We did spend a lot of time focusing on the "COW" technique, which is the Chin Over Wrist method of positioning your body through a corner. I do use this once in awhile and it is interesting to note how much body position can dictate your line through a corner. :thumbup:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah, that was one of the discussions we had last weekend. Showing up with a car tire on your bike is a definite dismissal. :eek:

Yep, they want to see an insurance card with your name on it and the bike you're riding. Gear is pretty much the same as the BRC - no exposed skin, DOT helmet, and shoes\boots that come above the ankle. Oh, and an open mind ready to have some FUN!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
We did spend a lot of time focusing on the "COW" technique, which is the Chin Over Wrist method of positioning your body through a corner. I do use this once in awhile and it is interesting to note how much body position can dictate your line through a corner. :thumbup:

Yep, this is what I was talking about when I mentioned the MSF version of hanging off and not garnishing the attention of the LEO's. COW? I guess that's a universal acronym now as they used it with us. I was hoping for something a little different but it's starting to take hold. Myself and another instructor definitely had a chance to practice it on the way home in a heavy rain.

Not only dictate your line but influence your lean angle.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be fine with gear - Riding 2.5 hours on the highway I'd be stupid not to have geared up! I'll be wearing my A* track boots, leather jacket and Gauntlets. No helmet though, because f*&^ safety!

My tank bag will be stuffed with extra layers, lunch, snacks and gatorade.

I'll ask a couple of my friends, roommate will be busy but I think he's the one who could benefit the most from this.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site

It wouldn't be the end of the world actually, there's this awesome place called 'Iron Pony' that is basically a motorcycle gear store that's the size of two Wal Marts. I'd be okay having to visit.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be fine with gear - Riding 2.5 hours on the highway I'd be stupid not to have geared up! I'll be wearing my A* track boots, leather jacket and Gauntlets. No helmet though, because f*&^ safety!

My tank bag will be stuffed with extra layers, lunch, snacks and gatorade.

I'll ask a couple of my friends, roommate will be busy but I think he's the one who could benefit the most from this.

So far, the weather looks good for Saturday. High of 74F.

Yep, the helmet always blocks your vision and you can't hear! :rolleyes: