Anyone using gasket paper?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am getting pretty tired of the price and wait for Yamaha gaskets. Nothing critical like fead gasket or valve cover, but things like timing cover. I have heard of some general successes with using gasket paper in low pressure applications, but as usual I am reaching out to the FZ6 collective to see of any first hand experiances.

Anyone give this a try?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The Yamaha timing chain cover, as I re-call, isn't just paper but had some "structure" to it.

Would a paper (homemade) gasket work? I'm sure it would..

With all the odd angles, alignment holes etc and how often you actually change those gaskets, I wouldn't bother.

I changed that particular gasket once around 2009 as I had to replace that cover (previously damaged by the first owner).
I did change it again last winter when I did a valve adjustment but likely could have used the gasket again..

With the time to possibly do a "do over" with a potentially seeping gasket, it's simply not worth it (to me). That job is done, no re-do's etc.
Especially with wrenching yourself, your saving a bunch of $ so the additional $ for the OEM gasket IMO is a no brainer ..

With that said, I'd likely use the old gasket before trying to make one and it'd probably be ok..

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I kinda agree. For me it is more the wait than the cost. Alternative is to keep a gasket or 2 in stock.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I kinda agree. For me it is more the wait than the cost. Alternative is to keep a gasket or 2 in stock.

Yepper...

I know that for instance, when doing the valves, I ordered it (gasket) way ahead of time along with a valve shim kit. I didn't want to go hunting for a shim, can't get one, then have to order a kit anyway... It wasn't worth the hassle not to have that kit here. Adjust and button it up-DONE!

And really, how often do you pull those 3 covers, (stator, clutch, timing chain)?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM gasket is impossible to beat. Seemed like it was rubber seal over aluminum pattern.

If you EVER end up using paper or cork two products work well. Again, go OEM but if you must.....

Paper or cork:
Use spray Copper Coat. And spray all four edges.

If not copper coat; use a gloss enamel spray paint.
The cooper coat if 90% dry before applied will last like 4 years on engine/transmission applications before it ever seeps a drop. Gloss paint about 1/2 that.